Rear Window Protection

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 09:44
ThreadID: 30438 Views:3840 Replies:14 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Some advice required. We will be travelling around the centre of oz in the middle of this year and was wondering what others use to protect their rear windows. We are concerned about rocks from under the Patrol hitting the camper trailer and rebounding back to the windows when we are travelling on dirt roads.

Does anyone have any simple/cheap ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Kerrie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: brian - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:02

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:02
Hello cut cardboard to size held in place by tape,i usually have a supply of vb cartons that work , or cut up corfluteattached with double sided velcro lasts forever nill cost.
happy travels
AnswerID: 153081

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:50

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:50
What is corfluteattached.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 406981

Follow Up By: Patrick - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 11:00

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 11:00
Have a look at this site as many exploroz people have bought one of these and swear by them.

www.obiesoutback.com.au

They advertise regularly in Aust 4WD Monthly and are a local supplier.

FollowupID: 406986

Follow Up By: Sarg - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 11:11

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 11:11
Read all about it
http://www.ferret.com.au/articles/d0/0c03bad0.asp
FollowupID: 406989

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 00:58

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 00:58
Agree with Patrick.

After breaking the main window of the Jack, I have since purchased a rear window saver from Obie's Outback.

I guess it depends on what you call cheap.

Insurance aside, it would have cost me $1500 to replace the window, so a couple of hundred for a quality product was to me, an investment.

Cardboard? Yes, works well until it gets wet, then it is as useful as teats on a bull.

One word of advice. The Velcro supplied with the window saver is not all that long lasting. (the bit that you stick on the glass)
The long strips as originally supplied, are affected by heat over time and result in a "ripple" effect as they expand and contract. Mine looked shabby after 6 months or so.

I found that standard 25mm diameter Velcro spots work better as they don't seem to be affected by the weather.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 407179

Follow Up By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 10:44

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 10:44
We broke our rear window last year on a made road - after doing almost 20,000 k's - cost us $850 plus fitting plus inconvenience of waiting for it to come to Qld from Melbourne - anyway we found a perspex place who sold us a product call Tuffek - it is thin, flexible, completely see through - $50 cash - we cut to size and attached sticky backed velcro to window and cover - works a treat - a word of warning thogh - don't leave the cover on when your car is just going to sit in the heat all day - the glue on the velcro melts - had this happen in Mildura at Christmas - came out after lunch at Trentham Estate - the temp was in top 30's - and the cover was hanging at an angle - so now we take it off when we are not towing.
jules
FollowupID: 407213

Reply By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:06

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:06
type in 'rear window' in the search box at the top of the forum screen. some good info there
AnswerID: 153083

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 11:56

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 11:56
Cardboard Beer Cartons work a treat, we've used this method a number of times..

Lyn
AnswerID: 153101

Follow Up By: gramps - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 01:11

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 01:11
SWMBO will deliver a resounding thwack to the left side of my brain if I try that on as an excuse to load extra cartons on our next trip LOLOL
FollowupID: 407180

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 07:47

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 07:47
you don't want to know how many cartons we had between two cars last year....lol
FollowupID: 407190

Follow Up By: gramps - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 14:57

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 14:57
I'm glad to hear you took protecting your rear window seriously. You've got to have backup safety devices as well :))))
FollowupID: 407277

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 15:02

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 15:02
absolutely paramount !...hahahah
FollowupID: 407281

Reply By: jo and mark - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 12:03

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 12:03
hey there

Corflute signs are like a hard white board type stuff.

You know the real estate signs that are out the front of houses? that is corflute, just with the real estate stuff screen printed onto it.
Jo
AnswerID: 153102

Reply By: dinodog- Central Coast NSW - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 12:08

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 12:08
BOO,

I have had the same problem busted a rear window on my 80LC. Got it replaced ($570) went to local clark rubber store and bought some clear plastic hall runner, that is the type of plastic cover that people lay over their new carpet in high wear areas. It is quite thick, is ribbed and you can just see through it. Went to hardware store and bought enough wide self adhiesive velcro. Affixed one side to edges of rear window. Cut plastic to fit to window shape, affixed other side of velcro to edges of plastic and fitted same to window. Cost about $30 all up. Have used it about a dozen times. Stops the stones. The good thing is that when your not using it just roll it up and throw in your dilly box.

Dinodog
AnswerID: 153105

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 12:46

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 12:46
Stone guard similar to those fitted to Adventure Camper Trailers.
AnswerID: 153113

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 12:55

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 12:55
You can buy perspex especially made to cover rear windows, mostly just beer cartons (that way we can tell what state you come from without looking at the number plate just by the type of beer carton). This is the cheapest way.
From ten years experience make sure you do cover the rear window regardless of what type of sling cover over the draw bar (these just do not work out here) - I see about 10 - 12 broken rear windows every week and it's 800 klms to the nearest fixit (and $1,000 or more for the fixit).
AnswerID: 153115

Reply By: Mike DiD - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 14:32

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 14:32
I bought some shadecloth to fit from Bumperbar to the front of the Trailer, allowing for tight turns.

It is permanently attached to the front of the Trailer. The car end is attached to a 16mm square steel tube which bolts onto brackets attached to the rear bumper.

Not a mark on the rear of the car after 19,000km through Central Australia.

If you just cover the Rear Window, then you will find that your rear door needs a repaint from all the stone chips.

Mike
AnswerID: 153136

Follow Up By: Member - briggzee (WA) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 18:49

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 18:49
Mike DiD, cant quite picture what you mean but i am interested as I am trying to design a permanent stone guard to suit our jayco camper. Is there any chance you could give any further details to me on briggzee@westnet.com.au. Was also concerned about paintwork and not just glass. Much appreciated

Craig
FollowupID: 407087

Follow Up By: Mike DiD - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 19:45

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 19:45
Buy two lengths of steel tube, cut one to the length of the Rear Bumper and one to the length of the Trailer front.

Attach shade cloth to both bars using cable ties - allowing for turning.

Connect two Occy Straps between the two ends of the tubes and attach the shadecloth using cable ties. This stops the shadecloth sagging too much.

Permanently bolt one bar to the front of the Trailer.

Find two points at each end of the rear bumper where you drill two holes and Tap a thread, or attach two brackets with threaded holes to the bumper.

Drill two holes into the tube to match the holes in the bumper.

After connecting the Trailer, put bolts through the tube to attach the tube to the bumper.

I no longer have that vehicle or the Trailer and I don't think I have any photos.

Mike
FollowupID: 407097

Follow Up By: Member - briggzee (WA) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:02

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:02
Mike, Thanks for the info. Will see how/where to attatch bars.
Cheers Craig
FollowupID: 407098

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 01:19

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 01:19
The setup described by Mike, is commonly called a trapeze.

Been there, done that. Works well when you are on the black stuff, or while the dirt is dry.

As soon as you start driving on MUD, it will stick to the shade cloth trapeze, dragging it down to the road surface and will eventually get ripped off.

When a broken window has happened to you and like Ruth says, you a long way from an "O'Briens Glass" outlet and in the middle of nowhere, you tend to get a little paranoid. I was lucky in that my safety glass was crazed but still in one piece and I managed to hold it together with a beer carton cardboard taped both sides, until I got home. I think the tinting film may have also helped a little.

No one thing works best. I recommend a combination.

I have a good sized stone barrier attached to the drawbar of the Camper which IMO mainly provides protection to the Camper.

I have an acrylic "Rear Window Saver" which I attach to the rear glass areas when travelling off-road.

I have a full width rear mudflap which I also attach to the under rear of the vehicle to limit the ejection of rocks & stones.

Bill

FollowupID: 407181

Follow Up By: Mike DiD - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 08:08

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 08:08
If you hit mud, just take in the Trapeze and store it across the drawbar covered in plastic to make it easier to clean.

Mud will not bounce off the Trailer hard enough to damage the paint or glass.

Mike
FollowupID: 407194

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 02:29

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 02:29
Mike,

And the rocks and stones embedded in the mud???

When you are driving in mud, something like the Birdsville Track say, just north of Mungerannie following a bit of rain, the wheels are spinning at several times the normal rotational speed, thus increasing the velocity of the stones bouncing off anything, including the frame of the trailer's stone guard. (That's how my "accident" happened)
The "stone" imbedded in the widow, was the size of a garden pea.

On a "standard" dirt track where the wheel ruts are considerably lower than the "crown" of land between them, the clearance between the trapeze and the track is bugger all.

Now, if you are going to take the trapeze off, what's the point of having it on in the first place???

Like I said, been there, done that!

Bill

FollowupID: 407437

Follow Up By: Mike DiD - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:33

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:33
The way I rigged the trapeze the mud didn't stick to it - if it dried, the continuous movement vibrated it off.

Of course there is mud that is extremely gooey and sticky and may penetrate the shadecloth to build up on the upper surface - it didn't happen to me - but I'm not saying it can't happen.

The critical part of my design was the Occy straps at the sides to keep it under tension and high up - even through turns. The drawbar keeps the centre part high, so there was never any chance of it dragging on the ground and getting damaged.

I still have the Trapeze (though no vehicle or trailer mounting) if people really want a photo as a guide.

There are no perfect solutions - though this one worked perfectly in the 19,000km I used it for.
FollowupID: 407465

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:36

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:36
MIke,

You are correct in that there are no perfect solutions.

My trapeze also allowed turning, etc., without losing tension.
Rather than occy straps, my design had shock cord running down the side seams and attached to points on the vehicle and trailer.

Very smick looking and I thought, practical. I was so confident in it that I used stainless steel fittings allowing quick attachment and removal.
I still have it in the shed and that is where it will stay.

One last comment is that the mud on the Birdsville track (in fact just about everywhere in "corner country" is extremely gooey and sticky and this is where IMO the trapeze is definitely not suitable.
Bill

FollowupID: 407532

Reply By: Boo - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 15:06

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 15:06
Thanks to everyone who has replied.

We currently have a stone guard on the CT but not happy with it, so we are planning on replacing it with a better designed one, we are also fitting a large rubber flap to go under the rear of the Patrol to help stop some of the stones.

Might look into the option of some clear perspex attached with velcro to the rear windows to stop any other stray stones.

Hopefully if we take some precautions then nothing will eventuate and it will be an incident free trip.

Thanks again.

Kerrie
AnswerID: 153143

Reply By: Member - Kim R (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:00

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:00
TJM Megastores sell a plasyic cover that is about 4mm thick, that velcros to the rear window. It can also be fixed permanent. Cost is around $200 or below. Call one of there shops. Also try Google for rear window protectors , you were able to buy direct some time back.

Hope that helps.

!MPG:5!
AnswerID: 153186

Reply By: OLLY - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 09:14

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 09:14
Hi,

A piece of LEXAN (shatter proof perspex) cut to the same shape as the window, and held on by the same clips that hold rear venitians (outside) does the trick. Also gives you the added bonus of still being able to see out the back through the window.
AnswerID: 153280

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 09:30

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 09:30
A good and cheap solution is cut up a windscreen sunshade, the foil type you put inside the windscreen when parked. Is cheap (about 6-7 bucks from supercheap) and being foil based, wont desintergrate at the first sign of rain. Beer cartons are good but not waterproof.
Stick it on with 100mph tape.
AnswerID: 153286

Reply By: lizard - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 12:32

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 12:32
After busting a rear window in my GU wagon , the same way you describe , I bought "Obies rear window saver", have had no more problems . I now have a Patrol ute , so don't need them anymore .
AnswerID: 153314

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 23:05

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 23:05
We just use beer cartons, sometimes a couple of layers. Haven't had a broken window but did cop a couple of nasty stone chips and a dent in the panel work which is an indication of the foce with which some of those stones can rebound off the trailer, even with stone guard fitted.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 153752

Sponsored Links