oil for 3ltr gq patrol

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 21:12
ThreadID: 3047 Views:1783 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
hi all big trip coming up so i want to change all the oils in my patrol gear box/transfer/diff it has a limited slip rear but all else stock what would you recomend to use synthetic or normal thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ray - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 21:22

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 21:22
Diamond,
How many k,s has the patrol done? I had a 40000 service last week and the oil in all was as good as new.( except engine oil)
AnswerID: 11648

Reply By: diamond - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 21:32

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 21:32
it has got 350000 ks dosnt miss a beat oil looks clean but would still like to change it
AnswerID: 11651

Reply By: Jol Fleming - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 22:21

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 22:21
Hi Diamond,

Good mineral oil is ok, but the Synthetic is better at maintaning viscosity at higher temperatures which you can get from sustained speeds. If you are towing the synthetic is probably better, contaminants are the killer though. Penrite make a good heavy diff for competition, iI have used for a long time, mineral, and a good synth, for every thing else also Redline make some excelent Synthetic worth the expence for either.

jol
AnswerID: 11656

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 14:58

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 14:58
Diamond if you want to read about Synthetic oils.
Here is some reading for you:
http://gulfcoastfilters.com/why_do_we_change_oil.htm
http://mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt
http://www.users.conninc.com/pgoodson/SynthOil3.htm

also check on the Mobil website under their oil specifications:
http://www.mobil.com.au/mobil/fr_mobil_products.html
You can also call Mobil toll free on 1800 033 863
FollowupID: 6617

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 15:14

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 15:14
Go with good oil, uyou dont want to shiat the bed half way around, and the conditions out there are extreme at the moment.

Lots on the Patrol List are using Shell Rimula X and getting 500,000klms out of the good old TD42... But thats Diesel. But its good Synthetic oil.. Worth the $40 a 5ltr.

Go Synthetic, its worth the money... then whats an engine rebuild worth... And what do most racing teams use?

Not K-Mart or BP crap!
AnswerID: 11680

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 20:17

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 20:17
Truckster, Shell Rimula X is NOT a synthetic oil.Shell Rimula X is a full base mineral oil and not even part synthetic.

I wish you could buy a full synthetic oil for $40 for 5ltrs.

Mind you, cannot complain, getting it for $49.95 at the moment on special at SuperCheap.

Truckster you have better check where Shell and BP oil comes from.

K. Mart branded oil is Mobil Oil. You need to go by the specification SAE of the oil on the label. The SAE standards for oil can be relied on.

To date, there have been no recorded failures of oil SAE rating specification by any of the major oil companies during testing.
FollowupID: 6637

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 22:53

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 22:53
like shiat to a blanket! LMAO

here fishy fishy........
FollowupID: 6647

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 23:08

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 23:08
Truckster what does your reply mean. What are you "Laughing My Ass Off" for?

What are you having a problem with.

You could only agree that your information was completely incorrect. Factually and technically.
Oh Oh Oh dear, what a basic fundamental mistake.

I can just imagine the highly embarressed look on Trucksters face!
FollowupID: 6648

Follow Up By: Diamond - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 23:41

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 23:41
i was talking to a guy from repco tonight a friend and talking about oils and was told kmart is penzoil and repco oil is valvoline but i /he might be wrong
FollowupID: 6651

Follow Up By: Truckster - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 14:04

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 14:04
You cant see it can you Ozi...

We bait you like a little cod.... and you bite! LMAO......

This is fun....
This and Overlander...

Blind as can be.....

I can just imagine the highly embarressed look on Trucksters face!

You wouldnt know the look on my face, the tears are from laughin with the other 8 members from here that bait you on ICQ!!!!!!
FollowupID: 6675

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 16:10

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 16:10
Truckster you are just a pathetic little baby that is dripping from behind the ears you are so wet. You are uncouth, cannot string a sentence together without swearing, lack in basic comprehension of the English language and have no idea about lubrication and what type of oil is what or which. You have no basis, knowledge, ability or proof of the stupid and foolish things you say. You see, BP and KMart oil, like every other recognised brand name oil are SAE rated and will not fail the tests. Go on Truckster baby, you prove your idiotic dumb unfounded statements that just make you look so damn stupid and pathetic. Truckster baby, do you want me to send you something to stop your diarrhoea problems?

You see Truckster baby, it just proves by your own writing, that you are of low intelligence, poorly to uneducated, never been taught manners or decorum.

Truckster baby, about time you stopped telling so many furphy's. Trouble is Truckster baby, if you want to be a good teller of furphy's, you need to have a good memory - you fail on that.

You see Truckster baby, your own posts prove you know nothing about anything. Of course BP and Shell is the same oil company at the top. Many of their oil products come out the same refineries, yes, with some difference in additives. Truckster how about you take all your idle time that you are probably getting paid for by tax payers and actually do some basic education, and then perhaps go to a finishing school for girls.

Truckster baby, why should I care about you and your mates, whom are obviously just as stupid and of low intelligence like you, and have nothing better to do than giggle like little girls on ICQ to each other. How sweet Truckster baby with dummy and mates, how sweet. What do they say about birds of a feather. Obviously you and your mates need to go to the girls finishing school together.

Truckster baby, now run along like a good little girl and have another giggle with your feathered cohorts on ICQ.

Truckster baby, ta ta, ta ta, tak ta.
FollowupID: 6689

Follow Up By: Truckster - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 19:04

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 19:04
" and have no idea about lubrication and what type of oil is what or which. "

I use it dip bleep , I know what it is!!!! LMAO....I have 10 ltrs in the shed for the next oil change!!!! Dont know what it is????? ROTFLMAOTIPIMP!!!!....

You see Truckster baby, your own posts prove you know nothing about anything

Yes Ozi, Unlike you I dont know the answers to the worlds problems.

Truckster baby, now run along like a good little girl and have another giggle with your feathered cohorts on ICQ.

At least I can get a girl, Weve seen pics of yours! Oh and We are laughin!!! wait for the next setup.... its gonna be a killer!
FollowupID: 6698

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 19:48

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 19:48
Truckster baby you really have a personality and mental problem. You need serious help for your problem. I would suggest you go and book yourself in at the local hospital.

Truckster baby, I have no issue if you are laughing at my wife, why should it bother me. My wife is a terrific lady, with great attributes who is very dear to me. Truckster Baby my wife is highly educated, has a high level job which is more than you have with no job.

Truckster baby, shows what a low life uneducated pathetic weasel when you have to start attacking a lady whom you do not even know. Truckster baby, pity you were not brought up properly and taught manners and how to behave like a man instead of a whimpish low life gutter crawler.

What you do, is your perogative and proves you are just a foolish little pathetic boy in a mans size body that has never grown up. Truckster baby, go and get help for yourself before it is to late.
FollowupID: 6703

Reply By: diamond - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 19:48

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 19:48
i use mobil 1 for the engine looking for gearbox and diff oils will check out said web sites thank you all
AnswerID: 11696

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 22:04

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 22:04
Diamond KMart Auto department is 20% off tomorrow only. Time to stock up on Mobil 1 and a few other goodies that will make them the cheapest.
FollowupID: 6646

Follow Up By: Kezza - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 00:12

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 00:12
Only LSDiff oil for the patrol is penrites limslip140 - this discussion has been done to death - check out www.penrite.com.au (gear oils excellent as well)

cheers
kezza
FollowupID: 6653

Follow Up By: Truckster - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 14:08

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 14:08
And Kezza its the good stuff...

been runnin it in mine for over 12 mths I change every 6 mths with the 4wding I do, its worth it.
FollowupID: 6676

Reply By: Daffyd - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 20:50

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 20:50
If you use full synth in the diff&Gbox it'll prolly last the life of the vehicle. Many manufacturers are using it in their gbox/diff and class it as maintenance free - ie. never change it!!

One word of caution, your rear diff is LSD, check that the sysnth oil used is good for an LSD, some oils have Friction Reducer additives which can cause excessive slip if used with wet clutches.

BFN
Daffyd

AnswerID: 11704

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 22:03

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 22:03
Daffyd I will never change the synthetic oil in my gearbox, but will the diffs at 160,000k's.

The Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant can be used in the limited slip diffs AND gearboxes. On the Mobil website it says not to use for gearboxes, but this information is getting revised. The Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube is going to be their flagship of the gearbox oils. On a minute minorty of older gear boxes it could make the selectors a little sticky. Phone Mobil for confirmation on this.
FollowupID: 6645

Sponsored Links