Coleman Hot Water System - Excellent Service

Submitted: Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 11:53
ThreadID: 30473 Views:2711 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I am one of the first to complain about bad service at any time. This comment is completely the opposite.
I have a Coleman Hot Water System that is 9 months old and it would not pump properly or stay alight. I contacted Coleman in Sydney (I live in Bathurst) and took it down to their Service Centre at Minchinbury (Western Sydney) last Friday. I explained the problem to the guy behind the counter and he asked could I leave it for a while so he could have a look at it. I went back a couple of hours later and not only was it fixed but the guy showed me what the problem was and how to fix it myself if it happened again. He also run the system while I was there so show me that it was working correctly again.
Not only did he fix it but gave me a disposable bottle of gas and a NEW Shower Head and tubing for my trouble of taking it back to be fixed.. There is a new one out with 2.4 Metres of good quality plastic hose on the shower head. He also gave me a discount on some other Coleman products I bought as well.
He informed me that Coleman have sold 10,000 of those Hot Water Systems in Australia and have only had a very small number with a problem.

I am not connected with Coleman whatsoever. I just like to give a place a plug when you get such excellent service. The guys manner and customer skills were exceptional and I have E-Mailed Coleman and passed it on to them.
Jimbo, if you read this you will remember the problem I had in Victoria with the shower.
Pity a few (no most) of our BIG car dealerships in Australia couldn't learn a lesson in customer relations from them.
Cheers
The Bigfella
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 13:07

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 13:07
It makes you feel good when you get service like that.

all the best
Eric
AnswerID: 153325

Follow Up By: The Bigfella - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 23:07

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 23:07
Eric

You are right. You are obviously in business and know what it is all about.
We are so quick to complain when things go wrong but not many people give credit when it is due.
I know Coleman are a big company and I was surprised at the service and co-operation of the staff.
I know this forum has a huge following and thought it was a good place to mention the great service I had been given.
I have been to Cape York and envy your job.
Have a good one.
Cheers
The Bigfella
FollowupID: 407655

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:16

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:16
From one big fellow to another I love my job too.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 407685

Reply By: brett - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 16:40

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 16:40
What was actually wrong with it?
AnswerID: 153374

Follow Up By: The Bigfella - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:21

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:21
I am not too mechanically minded but something to do with the internal control that regulates the water flow and temperature. He just showed me how to get in to the unit and adjust the little device. The problem can be caused from using dirty water thru the unit. It is important that you run clean water thru it from time to time.

Cheers
The Bigfella
FollowupID: 407525

Follow Up By: brett - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:10

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:10
Sounds like the brass tap inside that regulates the flow, when you turn the knob into the hot section it partially closes the tap to reduce the flow. If this was staying closed the flow would be slow enough to make it cut out due to no flow or overtemp.
I had a problem with mine after about 6 months, it would shut down the burner on startup, I suspect the flow sensor was faulty as this is what happens when you start it with no water flowing. I took mine back to Kmart where I bought it and they weren't interested in the problem just said go and get another one off the shelf. Can't beat that sort of service either.
FollowupID: 407592

Follow Up By: The Bigfella - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 22:54

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 22:54
You are spot on. That was the part they told me to adjust if it happened again.
I didn't know Kmart sold them. They would have just sent it back to Coleman to repair. The easy way out but good for you. As I said they have sold 10,000 of them so I guess a few will play up at some time.
Still very happy with the back up service and look forward to many hot showers in the future. Sure beats heating up water on the fire and nothing like a hot shower out in the bush every couple of days.
Cheers
The Bigfella
FollowupID: 407647

Reply By: Patrick - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 20:46

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 20:46
Bigfella,

It's good to read a positive story against those negative ones we see a lot of these days.

I agree with you in passing on good service feedback to the company concerned so that those individuals are recoginised for their value to customer service satisfaction.

I bet that you won't thick twice about recommending Coleman products or that service centre in the future.

Great to hear.

Cheers,

Patrick
AnswerID: 153441

Reply By: Jimbo - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:36

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:36
Brian,

I remember the problem, what did he do to fix it?

Cheers,

Jim.

PS I had a shocking day Saturday thanks to you. I gave the Skybuie a hiding on Friday night.
AnswerID: 153490

Follow Up By: The Bigfella - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:23

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:23
Jimbo

Answer to how it is fixed is above in other reply.

I am amazed that any of the Skybuie was left. I guess you will want to stock up again if you come up for the car races.

Cheers

The Bigfella
FollowupID: 407527

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 18:01

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 18:01
"Amazed"......well I never.

Now, where exactly is this adjustment thingy, what does it look like and how do you get at it.

We're definite starters for the races.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 407563

Follow Up By: The Bigfella - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 22:59

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 22:59
Jimbo

I guess "amazed" was not the right word.

Mate I would have to open up the system to show you what to adjust. They are a complex unit when you get inside. Even finding the right screws to open it up is not easy until you are shown.
I will show you when you come up for the races but before you attack the Skybuie.
We have our annex fitted to the Sillhouette and off in two weeks to try it out.
Cheers
the Bigfella
FollowupID: 407649

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:42

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:42
No, "amazed" was the right word LOL. I'm still a little stunned myself there's any left. It's a great drop; the old man reckons it's better than the real stuff, not as syruppy.

I'll have a look at the Coleman when I see you next.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 407682

Reply By: LisaH - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:10

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:10
Hey Bigfella,

We love ours, and it runs for ever. it's only downside is the loss if the tradition of the oil tin over the fire....

Lisa
AnswerID: 153698

Follow Up By: The Bigfella - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 23:01

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 23:01
Lisa

Why would you want to boil oil on the fire? :):):):):):):):)

I know what you mean by having a drum of hot water on the fire all the time.
The advantage with the Coleman is that with total fire bans you can still wash off the BO.

Cheers

The Bigfella
FollowupID: 407651

Follow Up By: LisaH - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:23

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:23
Hey bigfella, sorry, I meant boil the water in the oil can... or whatever large metal container available at the time.

Go Coleman!
FollowupID: 407814

Sponsored Links