Slight Forum Update

Submitted: Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 15:46
ThreadID: 30483 Views:1451 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi again,

You may notice a change to the Sort options and also a new Option called Open Thread in new window. These should be fairly obvious and are results from feedback. The PostID and Response Time sorts are exactly the same as before just using a radio button instead of the text links and the Open threads in new window will do exaclty that - These settings are stored in a cookie and will automatically be remembered by your computer. Enjoy.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 16:11

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 16:11
I like it David. I wondered why you wanted the prompt to remind me each time I switched to or from the default sort method. I do wonder why I need to click on the reminder that a MM has been sent too though, in the same manner. Fine to have a message appear then fade after say 5 seconds.

I think I will turn off the open in new window now I have tried it. Will it build the sessions count from each page pulled up in the new window?
AnswerID: 153365

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 16:18

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 16:18
Yeah the message are sort of there to let people know what the system is doing - I have been started to remove some - fade away is difficult as evry browser would handle this differently however the javascript alert function is very simple.

The new window thing does nothing to site stats and will not increase session counts it was done from feedback by some dial up users who wanted a quick way to open up a load of threads and then read them one at a time offline. So they could open 20 threads at once - disconnect from the Internet and read & close each thread till they were all closed.

The update to sort and this option have now also paved the way to allow me to easily add other user customisable forum options. None have yet been built but the logic around the cookie management and interface have been solved.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 407301

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 17:51

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 17:51
David, the BEST thing ever, was to open the thread in a new window, as it is so much quicker when you've finished, just close the window.... bang.... done.

Very well done, and thank you.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 153389

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 18:41

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 18:41
One more update howevr this time to the trader - Not worth a new thread yet.

You can now edit trader ads from the display pages. So all you need to do is be logged in and if you own the ad you will get a button that says "Edit My Ad" so no more send enquiry and click the link just view the Ad a presto - Edit.

No comments please adbout edit of forum posts. I am looking into a preview option to allow you to view your submission prior to final update but this will be next week I think.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 153405

Reply By: toohey. - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:48

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:48
it's only gett'n better ,thanks david.
cheers toohey
AnswerID: 153427

Reply By: Member - AdrianLR (VIC) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 20:19

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 20:19
Thanks David.

I use a tabbed browser (Crazy Browser overlay to IE) to do the same thing - much quicker but it was a pain if I used a laptop with only 2 mouse buttons as clicking with the middle button opens a new tab.

The Trader edits is a good idea too.

Adrian
AnswerID: 153432

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 20:50

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 20:50
I agree with Wolfie, best thing yet!....Now can we get a new window when we click on the tabs for trader, shop etc?
AnswerID: 153443

Reply By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:29

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:29
That saves me the 'shift' mouse clicks, you beauty - - don't even have to lean fwd now except to type something - it's all a plot to get us addicted to the site isn't it David. ;-)

All you need now is to change the 'pop up' window which appears after you submit a new post ("there are other related posts on the site for your topic"), to appear when you press the 'new post' button - saying "did you know you can search previous posts first on your topic bla bla.

Never made sense to me telling them after they posted.

just a thought - saves new people getting somewhat embrassed particulary if Trucksters online :-)
AnswerID: 153460

Sponsored Links