Tekonsha Voyager brake contollers

Submitted: Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 18:47
ThreadID: 30490 Views:7373 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Yes, unfortunatly I have one of the earlier models ( grey front sticker) that is causing problems and has had the diode installed. Firstly does anyone know if the warranty is 5 years in Australia or only in the USA as shown on their web site and secondly is anyone aware of who their distributor is here as I'm having trouble trying to find someone that is prepared to help. Dealers that I've been to can't seem to give me an answer as they don't seem to know themselves.

Any help ??
Cheers Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BARRYR - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:06

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:06
ALKO should be the distributors.
Barry.
AnswerID: 153413

Follow Up By: ACDC - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:25

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:25
Several companies import then into the country and yes the warranty is 5 years here.
Alko and also Ashdowns import them.
Who ever you bought it from should replace it and they simply claim a new one from there supplier.
FollowupID: 407346

Reply By: Swanning it - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:33

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:33
G'Day Dave,

The warranty is 5 years here (I was told this from Tekonsha) and they do replace without any problems. It's the Oz distributors who don't want to do it. I have the emails I received from Tekonsha if you want a copy. Email me at
scantec1atbigponddotcom
and I'll email them to you if you wish.

By the way, Tekonsha say definitely don't put the diode in circuit.

Ian
AnswerID: 153422

Follow Up By: itsdave - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 20:09

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 20:09
Thanks Ian I'll email you later

Dave
FollowupID: 407360

Reply By: Member - Peter A (VIC) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:21

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:21
Dave,
I know eva-kool may be twice the price but they are good and you only get what you pay for, me and my mates who travel outback alot swear by the eva kool as we have never had a problem with them.

cheers Peter
AnswerID: 153457

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:36

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:36
Peter,

I think you have the wrong thread.

Dave
FollowupID: 407387

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:36

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:36
I have Voyager too.

Do you mind if I ask what the symptoms are that indicate the problem?

Dave
AnswerID: 153466

Follow Up By: itsdave - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:47

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:47
Every time we hook up camper trailer we have to reset level and power seems to go out of adjustment without being used between trips.
Also clicking noise coming from controller intermittantly whilst driving without trailer connected.

Are you having problems too? Seems to only effect the ones with the grey front

Cheers Dave
FollowupID: 407390

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:29

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:29
I've noticed I have to adjust from time to time but I put it down to changes in road surface.

I'll keep an eye on it. Mine's a fairly new unit and had a sticker on the box indicating it was a new model. Got mine from Repco in September when they had them on special.

Dave
FollowupID: 407410

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 07:49

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 07:49
Dave,
Got ours from Repco also, but about March last year. The brakes have to be "up-to-temperature" before setting it up. We did set ours up at first just around the corner from home and the brake response on our next trip was horrific! Then I set it up after towing the trailer around for about 20 minutes and I haven't had to adjust it since!
FollowupID: 407447

Reply By: Salties - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:58

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:58
I had a problem with one of these units as well. The brake lights on the stand alone vehicle would turn on for no reason at any given time. I had suspected that the brake controller may be the cause and after searching on a Jayco chat forum realised that this was a common fault. National Spares (Smithfield NSW) are also the distributor of this product. I had mine replaced after the unit was a few years old. The new unit has had no further problems.
AnswerID: 153480

Reply By: Stuart - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 02:24

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 02:24
Hi all, go to archives and type in 26194. As I stated there I had to go through the US to get some satisfaction. Basically don't bother buying the Voyager (sorry) and get the Prodigy. I noticed the difference straight away as there is no disengagement lag (after taking your foot off the brakes you can feel a delay in the trailer brakes releasing) which was quite noticable with the Voyager. The Prodigy just a much better unit all round. I have even heard people raving on about how the Prodigy will work while reversing! That's a load of rubbish though because if you energise the magnets while the wheels are going backwards then the brake shoes are actually pulled away from the drums. Next time your servicing the brakes or bearings have a look and you will see what I mean. Cheers & Beers, Stuart.
AnswerID: 153527

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 07:47

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 07:47
I have a later Voyager, bought it 12 months ago and it appears they have ironed out the problems as I haven't had a drama. The only thing is the brakes have to be "up-to-temperature" before setting it up. We did set it up at first just around the corner from home and the brake response on our next trip was horrific! Then I set it up after towing the trailer around for about 20 minutes and I haven't had to adjust it since!
AnswerID: 153536

Follow Up By: Swanning it - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 08:21

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 08:21
I agree with Brian - I've had two later model Voyagers and neither have caused the problem I had with the earlier one. I find the controller to be pretty good.

Ian
FollowupID: 407456

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:34

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:34
I had all of the above problems, when I rang Camec, the distributors, I was told that I would have to present it to them with the purchase receipt, I then suggested to them that instead, I would produce the controller to the Road Safety Division of Vicroads & let them investigate these potentially lethal brake controllers.
Needless to say, mine was replaced immediately!
As I told the distributor, there should have been a recall on safety grounds.
If the controller is randomly activating the brake lights, is it also randomly activating the brakes?
AnswerID: 153558

Reply By: LisaH - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 19:21

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 19:21
I have a tenkonsha system. I started heard a clicking sound while driving and (coincidentally) noted that the cruise control on the car was turing itself off, and sometimes not turning on.

One night i got out of the car and noticed that the brake lights on the car were still on. I fiddled and played with the switches and ingition and was on the verge of disconnecting the battery when the lights went out.

I had heard from some horse people that there was a fault in the tekonsha whihc caused brake lights to go on and was deadening batterys.

I took it back to the installer (no reciept) and it was replaced, no questions asked. Tekonsha have admitted the fault and are replacing free of charge. Tekinsha is paying for the installation costs as well as the unit.

I now know of six people who have replaced their units.

Incidentally, the clicking has stopped and the cruise control works fine. I think the brake kights were going on during driving which negates the control.
AnswerID: 153683

Sponsored Links