Middle Lagoon and Barn Hill, WA

Submitted: Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:24
ThreadID: 30495 Views:8631 Replies:11 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Big Kimberley trip starts in June. We have already booked Broome and will book Cape Leveque over next couple of days.

Do we need to book at Middle Lagoon and Barn Hill for June, or are we safe to just show up. There will be 2 vehicles. One with CT, other with tent. We are prepared to book, but trying not to unless necessary to provide flexibility.

We bush camp when possible, but prepared to stay in parks some times when they are well placed.

I've searched the net and the archives. Can not find a contact number for Middle Lagoon. Anyone got it? Or perhaps that means no bookings are needed.

I found some info on Willie Creek, north of Broome for free camping in the archives. Will give that a go as well. Any other info it this area??

I'll have heaps of other questions over time. This is our first Kimberey adventure and we plan on doing a lot.

Thanks, Norm C
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:39

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:39
I wanna go ta Willie Creek too . Where is it ? I will be in Broom and the Kimberley in May , but by June will be down south of the CSR .
Willie .
AnswerID: 153468

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:52

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:52
Here you go Willie,

Looks interesting eh!

Willie Creek Pearls
FollowupID: 407394

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:51

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 21:51
Norm,
We stayed at Barn Hill in 8/05 and at the time they said they were fully booked for nexst year (this year now).
There are plently of spots without power or trees but these are not as good as those under the trees.
I think the 60 minute programme last year has influenced the demand.
A magic spot though and very friendly.

Pedro
AnswerID: 153477

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:53

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:53
Sounds like I need to give them a call. Thanks
FollowupID: 407420

Reply By: Lyds- Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:42

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:42
Norm,

I haven't stayed out at Willie Creek, just went to the Pearl Farm. Its a bumpy road and I wouldn't want to be travelling back into Broome every day. Personally, as there is a lot to do in Broome, I would just stay there. I guess it all depends on how much time you have too.

I also didn't stay at Middle Lagoon or Barn Hill, but there was a lot of camp ground talk about both places, so I'd reckon you would need to book.

Just google "Middle Lagoon" and you'll get all your answers. I heard comments from some who thought Middle Lagoon was better than Cape Leveque.

As for Cape Leveque, after bouncing your way in, be sure you are there for a few days to make the long trip worth while.

What I didn't know about CL was that the camping area is on the west side good for sunsets but not a swimming beach (too tidal). On the east side, there are beach huts on the sand right on the swimming beach!

They are extra $ but worth it - the only downside is that the toilet/shower block is shared (ie separate cubicles but no separate m/f). Might be fine for free wheeling Europeans, could be a bit awkward for self concious Aussies.

If you need extra days, theres a good chance of organising that when you are there. They seem to have spots come available every day; just get in to the office early.

I thought the cost of food and souvenirs was reasonable too given where they are.
AnswerID: 153491

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 23:12

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 23:12
Thanks Lyds.
We've booked Broome for a week (Cable Beach CP) then plan on heading for Cape Leveque for a couple of days then Middle Lagoon for 2 or 3 days. Was considering Willie Creek for a day or so on the way back. Might try for some local advice when we get to Broome.

Trouble with Broome is the parks won't accept bookings less than a week in the peak season. Were looking to stay a couple more days in Broome after the Peninsula. May be able to get on to the Footy Ground I am told.

I've e-mailed Cape Leveque. They have short office hours in the wet season, so no answer when I rang. Trying to get one of the beach shelters and hope to put the CT beside it for 1 couple. The other couple will probably sleep in the shelter.

I had googled Middle Lagoon previously but didn't see them. Must be blind; got them first go this time.

Thanks, Norm C
FollowupID: 407422

Follow Up By: Lyds- Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 23:36

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 23:36
the road to Cape Leveque was shuddering; on the way back (or there) just past the Beagle Bay turnoff (its amazing the places you'll find tar roads up there) you can turn off for a short cut to Derby, but a long cut to Broome - but way less corrugations. See trek notes in the Moons "The Kimberley - An Adventurers Guide".
FollowupID: 407426

Reply By: hazo - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 23:04

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 23:04
Norm, Dont know about middle lagoon, but I would definately try to book Barn Hil! as they will be very busy this year due to 80mile beach banning dogs. A lot of oldies we spoke to last Aug/sept at 80 mile said they would be wintering at Barn Hill this year!
We heard whilst in Broome that there is another camp on the peninsular further than middle lagoon I think but didnt go so cant really help there.( the road in put me off as it was very bad! I did a recce on my dirt bike for about 30ks)and we only had standard caravan then.
You will love the Kimberley.
Brian
AnswerID: 153497

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 00:12

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 00:12
Hi Norm,
Have spent some time in the areas you mention and you are on the right track about booking in advance especiallyif travelling with someone else at that time.I personaly would spend more time at Middle Lagoon than C.Leveque and you will find Peter very helpfull.The management at C.L. has changed afew times and I hope they are better than when I was there last(money,money,money!! ).Idon't believe there is any camping at Willie Creek but is well worth a visit to the pearl farm.There is limited free camping further past Willie Creek at Barred Creek(many sandflies) and at Quondong but withyoor itenary I would just drive through for a visit and end up at Prices Point and then return to Broome.If you get stuck for accomadation in Broome go to the rifle club and see Dave who will fit you in.Heading down the coast I would prefer staying at 80 mile beach--a bigpark with excellent facilities and most times you should get in without a booking but give them a ring from Broome.Barne Hill is a much smaller park and very basic but nice people.There are a lot of other spots that you will discover yourself but hope this helps.
AnswerID: 153515

Reply By: Brian B- Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 01:51

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 01:51
Hello Norm,

We were over at Middle Lagoon in August, as previously mentioned Peter was really helpful & the place was fantastic. We camped (CT's) above the beach with magnificent sunset/ocean views but no shade, if you want shade you will be a couple of hundred metres back from the beach. We did a day trip to CL & found it to be really touristy & were glad we opted for Middle Lagoon instead, quite rustic but lovely all the same, I can email you pics if you would like.

We did book but there was plenty of room when we were there talk to Peter for advice Ph (08) 9192 4002.

Regards

Brian B
Brian B (NT now Bris)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 153524

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:54

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:54
Thanks for you help guys. As always, very helpful.
Norm C
AnswerID: 153561

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:15

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:15
Hi Norm

Middle Lagoon is just fantastic. Spent 5 days there in june 2005, would have stayed longer but we had booked at CL so had to move on. I would give middle lagoon a call and see if you can book one of the secluded camp sites. They are away from the main camping area, therefore away from the facilities, but we had one called "smiths 1" and it was just set back from the beach, had a shelter and even a cold running tap! There are others that are more secluded than the one we had but we were happy. Make sure you go on a mud crabing adventure...kids had a ball and the mud crabs were huge.

CL is a very beautiful place too...way more "touristy" therefore busier. We had a beach shelter and they were well worth the extra $$ as the main camp site is up on the hill and away from the water. We did book about 8 months in advance though for that one and they told me it was the last one available!

The Kimberley is a unique part of our country and I fell in love with it. Different time, different circumstances I reckon the "bush woman" in me would up and move there permanently!!

Enjoy your travels

Jen
AnswerID: 153576

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:37

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:37
Hi Norm,

Just to wet the appatite,

Kind regards
AnswerID: 153581

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 12:57

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 12:57
Thanks Beatit. Is the sunset pic Cape Leveque or Middle Lagoon
FollowupID: 407484

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 14:10

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 14:10
G'day Norm,

Cape Leveque, from the resort looking south last September. Fabulous place and I hope you have a great time. BTW would recommend Kalumburu if you have time. The fishing is great.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 407493

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:01

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:01
Beatit, I'll be taking the fishing gear, but not the boat. One is too big, the other (a canoe with elec motor) is not croc proof.

What is shore based fishing like in the area? Beach rods or just smaller estuary gear?

Worth finding space for a couple of collapsible crab pots for use off banks?

Yep, we plan a trip to Kalumburu, Mitchell Falls etc.

Nice fish. I'd skite about it too if it was mine.
FollowupID: 407519

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:23

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:23
Wouldn’t do anything in a canoe up there – a shame you can’t take the tinnie. Shore based fishing is whatever you like, seen some guys landing about 6 mangrove jacks with a lure from shore. We did a bit of that at middle lagoon but didn’t catch a feed – we still had fun though. If you like beach fishing for sharks it’s not bad.

Crab pots can be an issue as they use different one in WA and most others are illegal – we didn’t do much crabbing. The bit we did wasn’t good.

My wife caught this fish and she keeps rubbing my nose in it.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 407526

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 17:10

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 17:10
The tinnei is 5.25m with 115HP motor. A bit big to go on top! To tow it I'd have to leave the CT at home. Don't think SWMBO would like that. Or set up a road train LOL.

Thinking of trading the current boat and canoe for a tinnie I can put on top with a boat loader. The loss of the big boat would be a pity, but with the amount of travelling we have planned, we'd probably get a lot more use out of the smaller one.
FollowupID: 407544

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 17:18

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 17:18
Yeah Norm, that is a little big for the top of the car. Got to take the CT and I was also faced with this same problem so I have 2 boats. Tinnies are pretty cheap and motors can also be cheap. The loader is another issue though.

If your going to do a lot of travelling a tinnie would be a plus, particularly in the north.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 407546

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:38

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:38
Hi Norm,

Just to wet the appetite,

Kind regards
AnswerID: 153584

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:00

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:00
Re Middle Lagoon, there are also several other Aboriginal run and owned camp sites in the same general area. Strongly recommended (they are further up the road from where we live).

No free camping close to Broome, but a fair bit once north of the town.

But do be aware that caravan parks in the town are booked out almost years ahead from May- Sept.

Rerference in another posting to camping at the Rifle Club - I thin the writer meant 'Pistol Club' . It's on Port Drive about 4 km out of town.
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 154279

Sponsored Links