Craigs Hut - Pineapple flat

Submitted: Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 22:05
ThreadID: 30501 Views:6453 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Want to take the family up for a day trip to above places. Whats the best way to go - would like a reasonable 4WD challenge but nothing that will frighten the shXXt out of the grand children
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 23:32

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 23:32
I have a book called 4wd Tracks of the High Country.

It shows about 20 different trips in the highcountry of which I have done 2. One of them was a visit to Craigs Hut via Pineapple Flat.

The route it shows is off Mt Buller Rd out of Mansfield. Turn off at Buttercup Rd to Tomahawk Hut then via Bus Hut and King Basin Rd to Pineapple Flat continue along King Basin Rd past King Hut and up to Craigs Hut via Mt Stirling Rd. Continue past Craigs Hut and Mt stirling then decend to Circuit Rd abd out onto the Mt Buller Rd once again.

We did not do the part of this trip prior to Pineapple Flat as we came in from in from Myrtleford vie the Bennies and Wild Horse Gap Track. Most of what we did was fairly easy going a couple of creek crossings on the King Basin Rd could be fun in the water was up a bit and the decent from Mt Stirling will keep you on your toes but there is nothing too challenging and if the grand kids cna handle city traffic they will be ok with this.

We also have the HEMA Maps High Country sheet and with these two we were able to successfully plan a route from Jindabyne to Mansfield.

You are certain to get advice from some who know the are much better than I do but my family all enjoyed what we did.

Duncs
AnswerID: 153505

Reply By: Jack2000 - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 10:28

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 10:28
Hi there

Buy yourself the rooftop map that covers the area - is a good map.

I don't have my map in front of me, but the route suggested by the previous post (Trek 3 from the Craig Lewis/Cathy Savage book) is a good one. A slight variation on that route is to descend down toward Pineapple Flat on Weston Tk. Is quite steep but not too difficult. Good fun.

King Basin Road between Pineapple Flat and King Hut is quite good, with numerous river crossings (not difficult unless there has been heavy rain). The route up to Craigs Hut and on to Mt Stirling is terrific (easy if dry), with great views.

Is a great day trip - enjoy!
AnswerID: 153567

Reply By: LisaH - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 19:24

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 19:24
Roof tops is the way to go, If you wait a few weeks you should be able to go blackberrying. DSE and parks are letting them run riot in the valley.
AnswerID: 153684

Follow Up By: Moggs - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:22

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:22
No need to wait - was down at Bindaree Hut camping on the weekend and the berries were ouThanks birds - I'm sure those stains will wash right off the canvas tent - not!
FollowupID: 407813

Sponsored Links