BushRanger MaxAir - installation on its side?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:18
ThreadID: 30510 Views:2073 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone installed a genuine MaxAir on its side? I'm replacing my aging ARB unit with one and plan to use the same wiring loom (original ARB one is rated to 40 amps with a 20-amp fuse anyway) and add a tank so that the pressure switch still works and I can run an air tool when I need for short bursts. The problem is that the size of the MaxAir unit prevents me from just bolting it in in its original configuration.

I need to be able to reduce the height of the unit by rotating it on its base mount to fit under the seat. I'm just hoping that these units don't need top be upright (as per original orientation) to be properly internally lubricated.

Any advice? I can't see that it shouldn't be done, but am keen to hear from anyone who has mounted one under their seat or bonnet in an orientation other than with the compressor head to the top.

Cheers all :)
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: smegzy - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 13:43

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 13:43
Omaroo,

Pretty sure the crank is lubricated by grease and the piston uses and self lubricating asseiatel ring. In which case you should be able to mount it anyway you want too.

Not 100 % as its been a while since I stripped my one down.

Hopefully someelse may be able to conferm this one way or the other.

p.s mine is mounted upright.
AnswerID: 153611

Follow Up By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 13:46

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 13:46
I'll give it a go!

Cheers and thanks smegzy :)

Chris
FollowupID: 407492

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 17:39

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 17:39
Keep your ARB where it is powering your lockers, and use the Maxair on its own. IF NEED BE you have a fail resistant supply of air. Just make sure you can jerry rig the plumbing across each way if you need to.
AnswerID: 153661

Reply By: IT Dr - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 01:03

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 01:03
I took my base off and removed the handle, ran a braided hose straight off the cylinder and put the unit behind the plastic panel in the back of the car. Plumbed the braided hose out through the door frame and mounted female connecter. Unit was quite slimline once all brackets and handles etc were taken off.
AnswerID: 153764

Sponsored Links