canoes or kayaks

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 15:17
ThreadID: 30522 Views:5521 Replies:13 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at byeing a 2man canoe or kayak has anybody had any esperiences with any and whitch is the best option canoe or kayak or the pump up type any advice welcomed
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Squizzy - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 15:39

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 15:39
Pojo,

The type of canoe you require depends on many things, ie, white water, sea faring, expeditions, general fun, etc, etc.

My preference is a two man kayak, if you have a good partner to assist with the control. This can still be used for expedition type canoing.

Or, go for the two man canadian type canoe. A good all rounder with plenty of room.

Geoff.
AnswerID: 153631

Reply By: itsdave - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 15:54

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 15:54
My wife and I have plastic moulded sit on type kayaks ( Ocean Kayak brand) which are very stable even in choppy conditions. We find them to suit our needs in rivers ocean lakes etc although not as quick as some of the others. A great fun kayak

cheers Dave
AnswerID: 153634

Follow Up By: Darren C - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:09

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:09
The sit on ones are great and easy to get back onto if you fall off. Getting back into a canoe can be a bot more tricky - especially if you are at sea. The downside is that you must expect to get a bit wet - Ok in summer but not as much fun in winter unless you have right clothing

Like anything, you get what you pay for. Things to look for:

1. Weight capacity (most small ones only take up to 90-100kgs)
2. Rudder - useful for tracking your kayak/ canoe on open water
3. length and width - makes a huge difference to speed, stability etc. I'm not suggesting you get a full on racing kayak but we started off small and regretted it.....
4. Storage - generally they are not guaranteed as being waterproof but some are a lot better than others

We have Wilderness Systems sit on tops (easy to find on Google) which suit limited daytrip/touring - have a look at the Tarpon 140....

Spirit kayaks in Perth also do a good range

Hope this helps!
FollowupID: 407523

Reply By: Member - Jay Gee (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 15:56

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 15:56
Depends a lot on what you want to do with it.

For a good general purpose canadian canoe - have a look at the kingfisher canoe. The stern is cut off so that you can add an outboard.

link text

http://www.ausseakayak.com.au/scskc/product.asp?CatId=1&Prodid=104

AnswerID: 153635

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:36

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:36
A bit of a bummer trying to hold the outboard arm when it is behind you though .
FollowupID: 407531

Reply By: flappa - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:00

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:00
Like above . . . so many options.

We have a Coleman Canoe. Would be . . . almost 20 years old. Still going strong.
AnswerID: 153636

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:37

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:37
As Geoff said , it is impossible to advise this person if they do not give the intended useage .
AnswerID: 153642

Follow Up By: HJ60-2H - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 21:26

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 21:26
Lots of others seem to be able to mange it?
FollowupID: 407618

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:43

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:43
We have a Rosco Bass Catcher canoe. It is Canadian style, but a bit wider and flat across the back. We also have an outrigger for it. Mostly use it for fishing with elec motor on it. When fishing we have 2 moulded plastic seats with backs that we put in. Very comfortable. With the outrigger you can fish standing up no problem.

For that purpose it is excellent. If you want it for general paddleing and exploring, others models may be better. Rosco has a wide range.

Might be looking to sell mine soon. Might change over to a tinnie we can carry on the 4B. The canoe isn't croc proof for our planned trips to Cape etc.

Web site is: www.roscocanoes.com.au
AnswerID: 153643

Follow Up By: Patrick - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:59

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:59
Hey Norm,

If you decide to sell you canoe list it in the trader section of ExplorOz as I just sold my 73 litre fiberglass icebox in 2 days....not bad eh!

Cheers,

Patrick
FollowupID: 407609

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:55

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 16:55
With so many options, let's narrow them down a little shall we?

1) Usage

River, estuary, lakes or open sea. This is the BIGGEST decision. I shy away from the sea, I am scared of it, and the things in it, so I frequent bays, and rivers, so I don't need a sea kayak.

2) Sit on top, or Sit inside.

I have both. The sit on tops are more for all round use, whilst the sit insides are mainly for touring type sea kayaks. Both have advantages over each-other. Sit on top is easier to right after a tip, and get aboard again, and it is the favourite for kayak fishermen, to which there are two good websites devoted to this. GPS, fish finders, live bait tanks, lights, the works... I kid you not. Try this for starters, it's one of my haunts..... Kayak Fishing Forum

3) Double, or two singles.

We started off with a Dagger Drifter Double sit inside, then progressed to a Hobie Tandem Mirage sit on top ( with the foot pedal drives). Both of these lend themselves to solo work, but not very well, so I ended up also getting a Hobie Quest Fisherman, which is also a sit on top. There WILL be times when only one of you will want to go out, believe me. We will buy another single soon.

4) Fibreglass or Roto Moulded Plastic.

Plastic, unless you are REAL SERIOUS about ocean touring.

5) Price.

Expect to pay around $1500 - $2000 for a reasonable new unit. You'll need 2 PFD's, 2 paddles, paddle float, good seating, and plenty of stowage space. Add on the cost off roof racks, mine were $600.00. Winter dry gear will cost around $400 @ person.
Once you've got all the stuff, jobs done, and you don't have to get it all at once.

So to sum up. gonna cost you some bucks, or go second hand as we did on our first unit, to test the waters. We were hooked, and have got a whole plastic navy happening down here.

You get home, toss your stuff in the washing machine, and that's that. No maintenance, nothing. I have put a sail on one of my units, which can be seen on the forum above. There's lots you can do, and lots of places you can get to, whereby a tinny can't get, because it will draw too much water.

Above all....

Have fun...

Wolfie
AnswerID: 153644

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 21:55

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 21:55
Woolfie ,

I went to that site - very interesting . Do you have the dagger board option . What is it like with the sail up , how does it go ? Will it point as high as 90 degrees to the wind ie will it reach ( spelt ? ) ? Or is it basically a down wind item ?

I had an old high volume glass touring kayyak and a spare windsurfer mast and sail and I always wanted to put it together with some kind of leaning plank - a bit unstable and not at all comfortable - but like so many things , I never got around to it - bummer . It was my bass fishing boat and had a tacklebox bolted to the front deck and two rodholders on the rear deck . It was radical 20 years ago , but now they are made with all that stuff .

As I said before , pretty hard to help this guy without him telling you what he wants it for . Anything from a whitewater playboat to a sea kayak .

Did you see the post from the guys who paddled down the Mitchell River in Qld ?

Cheers

Willie .
FollowupID: 407637

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 01:39

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 01:39
Willie, it's a downwind sail only, well, as we speak. You see, I am in the process of finishing off making up an Aluminium & Stainless Steel Leeboard, in the hope of tacking.

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 407676

Reply By: lambo - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 17:35

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 17:35
G'DAY POJO

WE HAVE 2 SEVYLOR INFLATABLES. THAY ARE LIKE SURFBOARDS, BUT MUCH MORE STABLE. WHEN DEFLATED, VRY COMPACT. THEY RUN OUT AT ABOUT $400 EACH. THEY ARE GREAT FOR RIVERS ETC, BUT NBG FOR OCEAN ETC. WHITWORTHS HAVE THEM IN THEIR STORES

CHEERS
LAMBO
AnswerID: 153658

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 19:37

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 19:37
Need to know your intended use. Maybe you don't even know yourself?

If you are inexperienced and just want to potter around sheltered waterways, a canoe is probably best. Otherwise get some training and a kayak. Far more manouevreable and faster, which means you can see more scenery or get to those further away fishing spots. You need to know what purpose you want it for before anyone can advise.
AnswerID: 153688

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:35

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 20:35
pojo, Wolfie has the decision set out for you. You need to decide what you want to do. Whitewater is my choice but paddle it many places including the sea, though care is needed in waves as it will nosedive and roll you. I have a pic of my kayak as my second rig pic posed at Lake Torrens. There are many varied types of kayaks that all have a purpose. Please decide what you want to do. Some will cross to do other things for you.

I have seen the inflatable ones and would steer away as the buoyancy seems too exaggerated, or else fold around you. Sit ins are an unknown to me but have tried surf skis which is a sit on. Too unstable for me :-( My kayak lets my bum sit below water level which is good for stability - lower centre of gravity.

Have a canoe which is fine if you have someone to paddle with always. I like to be in control of my direction. Two kayaks are a positive for two people I reckon.
AnswerID: 153708

Reply By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 22:54

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 22:54
We have an inflatable because of portability. It is surprisingly stable and gets along quite well. Use it in creeks, rivers, gorges etc. As said above much easier to get back on when in the water.

sevylor

About $475 through Whitworths etc
AnswerID: 153747

Reply By: 1812 - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 00:37

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 00:37
pojo,

As above depends on use:)))
If its for you and wife & or kids the open canadian canoe is good as you can put a kid in the middle or your camping stuff, we used 20lt screw top drums to keep every thing dry. This can be used on flat water or white water.
Try your local canoe club or retailer both will help.

Scott
AnswerID: 153762

Reply By: Pterosaur - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:34

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:34
I've owned a 3.4m Zodiac which I found an ideal craft for lakes, rivers and inshore sea work - stability was awesome, tough materials (basically unsinkable), and pretty portable - the only downside with it was the (37kg) 15hp motor - required a bit of grunt when carrying it about, and took a fair bit of room in the back of my vehicle.

WRT kayaks, I've always reckoned they're a pretty good idea, but you might want to check out the following pic I came across.

regards
Terry
AnswerID: 153805

Follow Up By: Steve - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:18

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:18
Funny you should post that pic. I live near the Hawkesbury estuary, N of Sydney and there's been a real increase of bull sharks in the area. Last week a little girl bow-riding on her dad's boat with her legs dangling just swung them up onto the deck as a bull shark reared up at her (a la Jaws) mouth agape and teeth at the ready. She was totally oblivious and it was just fortunate she inadvertantly swung out of the way in time. It's put me off a bit, I can tell you. I like to paddle around Lion Island and thereabouts but think I'll give it a miss for a while.
FollowupID: 407758

Sponsored Links