Diesel rip-off, Coles express Geelong

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 21:40
ThreadID: 30539 Views:2942 Replies:12 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day All,

Just reminding all of the continuing rip-off by Coles Express oulets in Geelong and their policy of pricing diesel 6 cents per litre or more above their competitors.

Prices yesterday were 128.9 at most outlets, yet at three of the Coles Express outlets in the main drag they were 135.9.

This is not "market forces", the prices have been this way for the past two years that I have been travelling through checking prices.

The worst case was 12 months ago when Coles Express were continually 15 cents above competitor prices.

Makes a mockery of the "4 cent discount" advertising.

Phone calls to head office in the past fall on deaf ears.

A point to remember for anyone travelling through Geelong.

If anyone works at these outlets and wants to rebuff my comments - feel free!

Regards

Rolande
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 21:42

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 21:42
>>> Phone calls to head office in the past fall on deaf ears.

Why would they give a s h i t?

AnswerID: 153725

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 21:46

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 21:46
Exactly, that's why I posted here.

Probably highly unlikely, but if I can make a small difference by having others avoid purchase it makes me feel better.

Rolande
FollowupID: 407635

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 22:00

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 22:00
Rolande ,

I have noticed the same thing in Sydney . They jack the price up and then give their discount off it . I ignore them and go to a genuine discounter.

I think the public are waking up to this .

Willie
AnswerID: 153731

Reply By: Member - Tony W (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 22:01

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 22:01
good onya stick it to bastards
AnswerID: 153732

Reply By: Member - Luxoluk - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 22:19

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 22:19
Once they swallow up all the small business competition this will be the new industry practice....the discount will be an illusion and they have you captive of their anti-competitive behaviour. This country runs on empty political rhetoric when it comes to protecting small consumers and businesses......the system is predicated on exploiting those without market power and influence?? Aw well that's the way it is and it is just not cricket!!
AnswerID: 153737

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 23:10

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 23:10
>>Once they swallow up all the small business competition this will be the new industry practice....

I remember when Coles or Someone took over the fuel places, the toothless ACCC with that fat Mr Bubbles in charge said live on TV in an interview
"there will always be enough competition, even if there are no independants".. the interviewer snickered which annoyed him ROTF!.

Oh yea, give it ~2 yrs and it will be $2-3, no matter what the cost of oil is.. they will have us by the balls. What else are you going to do?
FollowupID: 407656

Follow Up By: The Bigfella - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 23:19

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 23:19
Same here in Bathurst. We think the 4 cents discount is great and I was one who fell for the trick. I travel to Sydney quite a bit with my business and have noticed lately that diesel is up to 20 cents a litre dearer than ULP. By the way I have a diesel (A TERRACAN and love it) We are getting ripped off and nothing we can do about it. We just keep filling the government coffers.
If only I had the time and inclination I would stand for parliament and join the "rip off" merchants. No I wouldn't, as I do have some principles and would not want to be part of the rip off government we live under.
Time for another homebrew.
Cheers
The Bigfella
PS. You are dead right about the toothless ACCC. What a mockery they are?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
FollowupID: 407659

Follow Up By: Member - Stewart - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:15

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:15
What elseare you going to do?????? May I suggest that we as a group buy our fuel say shell this wk,B.P.next wk,Caltex the next wk,Mobil the following wk an so on. Can you imagine the outcry from fuel companies if we use there product every six weeks. Stewie
FollowupID: 407680

Reply By: bombsquad - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 23:34

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 23:34
I will never buy from the coles/shell in kununurra, the $10 or so per month can go to a local. The govt and th ACCC and whoever else need to put a stop to this bleep . I think it boarders on discriminatory to get discounts for fuel for buying stuff at coles. there is already a monopoly on cheap groceries in most small towns, and I'm sure there is a lot of price fixing in the cities between coles and woolies as well. keep some competition in the fuel sector if possible.

If you buy something that is not that common, the price is usually inflated due to économies of scale' , if you buy something more common it is in demand so prices increase. Brin on biodiesel and ethanol produced by local farming co-operatives and the like to stick it to the big oil companies and the like. Funny how the car manufacturers recommended against ethanol until people started turning away from the traditional 6 cyl cars, all of a sudden, 10% blends are ok. Nothing changed in the car factories, but reduced sales prompted a change in manufacturers reccomendations. We are all being taken for a lottle ride I feel.

Andrew
AnswerID: 153758

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 00:22

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 00:22
It's really interesting here in Shepparton.

A group of independents and businesses like grocers, fruit shops, bakery, butcher and others got behind a program set up by a really switched on local entrepaneur.

If you purchased over $x amount (set by the retailer depending on what they sold) you got a scratchie. That scratchie got you anywhere between 5c and 15c discount off fuel at a couple of local independant servos. You could pool the cards to get 50 cents or even more off and I think it was capped at a reasonable quantity.

It was getting really popular. So much so that I reckon it is being knobbled.

Someone with a good knowledge of law (like maybe a big chain's lawyer) dobbed them in to the gaming mob, who determined there couldn't be an element of chance as it contravened some law regarding games of chance.

Now according to today's Shep News, apparently "they" are trying to get it limited to spend x amount you get 5c, y amount you get 10c and z amount you get 15c off.

Not half as much fun. And people miss out on the warm fuzzy feeling they got from buying a bit of stuff and lunch at the bakery and getting the chance to get 15c of their next tank if they were lucky, and at least 5c if they weren't. Even more at some retailers.

Beauracracy's gone mad. Ba$tards.

this link. For those that have been there Geoff was the drive behind setting up Ardmona Kidstown - the adventure playground between Shep & Mooroopna.

Dave
AnswerID: 153761

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 09:24

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 09:24
They run a similar system up here called "Servo Savers" based on a minimum spend at various retailers and you can gang them up to get up to 30cents a litre discount.
Basic saving for one docket is 6c/lt.
FollowupID: 407701

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:06

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:06
Our local supermarket does it a little differently. It doesn't promote a particular petrol outlet but has a scheme to encourage people to shop locally buy people bringing in their reciept and depending on how much they spend they get so many cents off their groceries for how mman litres they have purchase.
ie Spend $30 get 4c/l off. If you bought 67l then you get 67x4c off up to a max of 80l.
I think there is a 6c and 8 c threshold. something differnt anyway.

Leroy
FollowupID: 407706

Reply By: old mate - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:23

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:23
What's the problem? buy from somewhere else! Simple.
AnswerID: 153776

Follow Up By: Feral - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 09:06

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 09:06
so whats the problem!!!!!!

We want our cake AND eat it to!!!!!!

You shop at Coles to get the 4 cent a lt off and you trot off to the Shell servo because thats the only place to get the discount. You rock up to the diesel pump only to find that Shell pricing is 6 cents MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE. So roughly working it out you will have to put in about 90 litres just to start saving money.

You would be pi$$ed off too if every business is town offered vouchers for discounts only to find the prices were inflated!!!

I have NEVER brought fuel or anything at a Shell servo for more than 3 years so who is missing out now.

Cheers,
Lyndon.
Immaculate Discovery Td5
FollowupID: 407698

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:28

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:28
Coles also have the flybuys thing going, so you can cash in 1000points for a further 10c off a litre. So I can put 150litres into the farm truck at 14cpl off their already inflated price. Brings it down to about $1.20 per litre for diesel.

I hate these games they make us play, but if there's no grief, I reluctantly play along.
AnswerID: 153804

Reply By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:40

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:40
During a recent trip over to the West (not picking on anyone) when refuelling at the discount outlets, I found that on two occassions, i put more fuel in the tank than their capacity. I figured that what they gave away by means of discount, they easily made up for it with additional fuel sales. As a consequence, after the second occasion, I avoided the supermarket outlets and purchased elsewhere.
As for crying out about fuel costs, at $1.30+ a liter, we only too happily pay for bottled water at exhorbidant prices and don't say a word. If you read the label and find out who is selling the stuff, you would soon realise why we pay so much for it.
After all it us just filtered water from a tap with no processing involved.
OK I'm off my hobby horse now.
AnswerID: 153806

Reply By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:28

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:28
The thing is.....with both coles and woollies, when u shop there and u get for ur food and stuff, u r already paying the 4 cents in the pricing of the good u buy. So in fact your not getting a damn cent off at the bouser.
And take note of what truckster said....

In any dusiness.....once the jiants wipe the small business out of business, you wait and see how prices keep rising and quality goes down hill. They wil bleed us dry..and the worst thing is...we r helping them do it right now by shopping there.

You are already seeing a quality drop in the fruit and vegies they carry, sometimes its pathetic how poor the quality of the fruit is.

I just dont buy there anymore.
and now i use bio diesel...im saving heaps anyway and my car has never been happier.

Ange
AnswerID: 153921

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 22:50

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 22:50
well i know where they pick up a very nice margin too, all the "goodies" in the servo shop, went in to a shell coles the other day to grab a couple of drinks, well bugger me they were more expensive than the 7 11 rip off prices, 500ml coke was $3 !!, and from memory a 2 lt bollte in thier own supermarket is about $2.20 or so.

I no longer use any of the supermarket scam dockets.
AnswerID: 154194

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 01:36

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 01:36
I have allways been sus of them as they don't display their diesel prices till you get to the bouser.
AnswerID: 154224

Sponsored Links