extended warranty

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 14:22
ThreadID: 3054 Views:1562 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Great site, we read this site often and have picked up some interesting tips so we hope you can help with this.Our troopie is just about out of factory warranty (March), we are planning on doing the big trip around OZ. Toyota dealerships are offering extended factory warranties called Ascend, is there anybody that has this warranty or has used it is it worthwile like to hear all for and against hope you all can give us some feed back.Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 14:46

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 14:46
Daphney if you search this and other websites about extended warranty, the overwhelming majority consensus it is a rip-off.

With your vehicle just coming out of warranty you really should not have any problems. The major issues with all these extended warranty policies is the exclusions and under their wording they can appear to exclude anything.

The large majority of premature failure is caused by poor service and maintainence. For example people fail to change their ethylene glycol coolant annually and fill with demineralised water and a major oil commpany brand concentrate in the required ratio, fail to change their brake fluid annually, fail to change radiator hoses, heater hoses etc. and fan belts at 100,000k's or 4 years, service the starter motor and alternator, change the air conditioner clutch bearing at 100,000k's or 4 years, and those type of things. Not doing those things is among the major things causes other mechanical and expensive failures. Your extended warranty insurance is not going to cover any of the above if they fail.

The use of synthetic oils and bypass filters makes a dramatic difference to a vehicle and breakdowns, and with the extended service intervals pays handsome dividends.
Here is some reading for you:
http://gulfcoastfilters.com/why_do_we_change_oil.htm
http://mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt
http://www.users.conninc.com/pgoodson/SynthOil3.htm

also check on the Mobil website under their oil specifications:
http://www.mobil.com.au/mobil/fr_mobil_products.html
You can also call Mobil toll free on 1800 033 863
AnswerID: 11678

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 16:22

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 16:22
Daphney I was just talking to person in the motor vehicle industry, and he says ethically he just refuses to sell those extended warranty policies. He says, he would love to as the commissions on them are normally 40% to 50%, but he says they riggle out of paying claims more than they pay, and then use second hand components from wreckers etc. as there justification for that is that the vehicle is second hand.
FollowupID: 6624

Reply By: viking - Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 21:52

Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 21:52
I agree with Ozies, extended warranties are crap. I have one on my car, which came with the finance, and really it's only an insurance policy on SOME components. To keep the warranty valid I have to have the car serviced by a workshop every 10k, and while I haven't had to use it yet, I bet the warranty people will find some way to wriggle out of paying anything if something breaks. Once I had read to wording of the "warranty" I wanted to opt out, but there is fine print in the "policy" which says basically, that it can't be surrendered, no matter what.
AnswerID: 11824

Reply By: Cobra - Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 23:41

Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 23:41
Daphney - I agree with Ozi that they are a ripoff. Many years ago I took one on a Commodore, Had to have it serviced on the correct mileage, (by an authorised dealer) use certain lubricants etc. Blew a head gasket within 6 months, no warranty. Previous service was over the limit by about 100k. Never had an extended warranty since. If you decide to go with one, read the fine print VERY carefully.
AnswerID: 11839

Reply By: Daphney - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 14:00

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 14:00
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, we won't be going ahead with the warranty,there are better things to spend our money on.Thanks again
AnswerID: 11999

Sponsored Links