Caravan Parks at Denham/Monkey Mia

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 13:41
ThreadID: 30556 Views:3787 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All,

Can anybody recommend a caravan park around the Denham/Monkey Mia area. Will be tent camping.

Cheers
Rus
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Marquis - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 14:58

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 14:58
Monkey Mia resort...

There 3 years ago - it's ok but I would head a bit further north.
AnswerID: 153846

Reply By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 15:13

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 15:13
we were there in August and due to windy conditions, the caravan parks didn't provide a lot of protection. we went to one of the local real estate agent and were able to rent a house for a couple of nights for a really reasonable price. If your travelling with others, houses of up to 5 bedrooms were available at about $150 a night. We paid $120 p/n for 2 nights and there were 4 of us.
AnswerID: 153849

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 17:08

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 17:08
we also did a trip on the larger Cateraman and it was fantastic. Must of seen 50+ Dugongs out there. Damned battery ran out on the camera but got enough shots anyway. I didn't think the entrance fees were overly extravagant. I figure you might only go there once so do it properly the first time.
FollowupID: 407764

Reply By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:14

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:14
G'day Rus,
we have stayed several times at Nanga Bay before heading to Steep Point.
Always enjoyed the Hot Artesian Spa :-)

However it's about 55 km before you get to Denham.
Here is a link:
Nanga Bay Resort

Cheers,
Mike
AnswerID: 153857

Reply By: JW - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:19

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:19
Rus,
We are camping at the Denham SeasideTourist Village in early May. Chose it instead of Monkey Mia on the basis of cost.
Powered site for two people at $ 21.15 / night with Top Tourist Park member discount.
Their website is www.sharkbayfun.com . Ph 1300 133733.

Hope this helps.
regards
Jon W
AnswerID: 153859

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:23

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:23
We travelled that way a few years back and wished we hadn't wasted the fuel. We free camped just short of Denham.

The sole purpose of the diversion was to experience the dolphin feeding. When we inquired at Monkey Mia about the event it was all too hard. You pay a ridiculous fee to enter and then the opportunity to feed a dolphin is in the lap of the rangers and you may not even get to do it bit pay to see some else do it. We'd seen plenty of Dolphins in the wild so decided to save our money and head to Coral Bay.

A bit of a tourist trap that you don't find out about until you have used a lot of fuel to get there. We investigate such tourist attractions to see whether it is vaklue for money. Denham it self is nothing special. Then again I though Broome was over rated!
AnswerID: 153860

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:33

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:33
Are you telling me that you paid to see the dolphins? We were there last May, sailed around on a trailerable yacht from Denham and just walked up the beach at Monkey to watch the tourist frenzy. Nobody asked for any money and I took as many pics as I wished.
I do not believe in feeding wild animals of any kind so the feeding bit was no issue.

But I agree with you, seeing Shark bay by land is nothing compared to seeing it by boat.
Klaus
FollowupID: 407761

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:30

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:30
Try this link for Caravan Park Reports.

I use it all the time and have found it very useful.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 153862

Reply By: hazo - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 18:04

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 18:04
Hi Rus,
Stayed at Monkey Mia and Denham many times ,was there last sept. It doesn't cost to feed the dolphins, it costs to enter the park $5 for a day pass or from memory $15/20 for up to 14 days. there is a trick to this though if you are staying at the c/park at resort. Firstly let me say i am not condoning anything illegal but calm are govmt. and work office hours! so its very difficult for them to collect money if you arrive early or late nod, nod, wink wink, and you can then wander around at leisure as the resort has nothing to do with calm.
At xmas 2004/5 my daughter had all the dolphins to her self whilst kayaking in bay.We find it a very relaxing break there as once you are camped there is everything on hand, we never bother with the calm dolphin sideshow fiasco and often find the dolphins will seek you out further west along the bay after the mornings feedind session. we always take everything foodwise with us as it can be very expensive to buy at resort. Denham has two supermarkets (but still expensive) and the Denham holiday village is also very good but can get windy! we found Nanga can get flyblown at times! You can also freecamp at the several small bays like Whalebone etc, but must ring calm in Denham for permit no. and its first come best dressed and no bookings!
Hope this helps Brian wa
ps you can also camp in Peron np but again access fees and you have to be totally self sufficient.
AnswerID: 153878

Reply By: howie - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:31

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:31
i recommend that you don't stay at money mia, its a rip-off. stay at denham or go into peron national park. plenty of wildlife everywhere, you could always visit money mia during the day for the 'been there, done that'.
might be worth getting a w.a. parks pass.
AnswerID: 153902

Reply By: Kumunara (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:51

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:51
G'day

Was there last year and stayed at Nanga Bay.

They have good facilities including an artesian spa.

You will have problems getting your tent pegs in the ground. It is as hard as rock. Wet the ground first and you should be able to get the pegs in without bending them.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 153930

Reply By: Davo - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:33

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:33
Rus,
g'day.
We stayed in Denham Seaside Tourist Village (website posted above) last year in July
We were originally going to be there for 10 days, but the wind came in good and Strong (I swear that we're wind magnets!!!), and made the camp unenjoyable. I wanted to do some fishing charters, which were basically cancelled due to excessive wind.
We have a Coleman Northstar 8 Tent, and needed to really tie it down.
After three nights of gusty winds, we cut short our stay and then headed to Kalbarri and stayed there for the balance (7 nights).
We had a great time in Kalbarri. The wind still blew, but the van park we camped in was sheltered.

If you're going to tent it in Denham/Monkey Mia, I'd recommend something without a seaview - we got a seaview in the Denham Tourist Village, and it was a pain. If you could guarantee 100% calm winds, then I'd say go for it, but hey - we live in WA (Windy Australia).
Monkey Mia may be more sheltered, we got hammered (by the weather!!) in Denham.

Cheers,
Dave

PS I agree - Broome IS Overrated !!
AnswerID: 153965

Sponsored Links