Beach Camping South of Perth

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 15:37
ThreadID: 30561 Views:49586 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

I am a great fan of camping on the beach, with no facilities and no other people. There are some great beaches south of Perth - Tims Thicket, White hills, preston, but they all seem to not allow camping. Is there anywhere in that stretch between mandurah and bunbury where camping is allowed (not caravan parks)?

Thanks

Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:12

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:12
Lived in Perth a few years back. Found the Free Camping in South WA of great value. However we found because of the density of population in that area and the greater number of National Parks it is near on impossible to free camp any where let alone beaches in the Sth West. Plenty of spots inland around Bridgetown, etc.

If you want to camp on a beach in WA you'll have to head north past Geralton. Along the coast between Esperance and Albany there were a few established CALM camping areas next to beaches, unfortunately there may be other peolple there and some have basic facilities (drop toilets).
AnswerID: 153856

Reply By: joe213 - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:53

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 16:53
Thanks for that Wizard

Not that I would do it, but what is the chance of getting caught if one was to camp at one of the beaches I mentioned, and what are the penalties?
AnswerID: 153865

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:57

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:57
"Not that I would"... but I've never been fined and stayed at tims thicket and near preston a few times- Dont make a bonfire bigger than say a moderately sized apartment block and you should be safe... The only person I have ever spoken to that said he got fined said he was charged $70. The only written info I can find though is the dunsborough leavers website- Its says its $100/person.
FollowupID: 407802

Reply By: Alex01 - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:36

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:36
Ditto, go to White Hills, Preston, Myalup regularly....

Last time we went camping (1 year ago) was 10km North of Myalup... ingnored the private Property signs and went into the dunes.

Erected large shade cloth, 2 x Huge Tents.... 15 people.

A Quad was going past and noticed us. He stopped to have a chat and he was the owner of the property. We tried to sweet talk him & in the end said "we'll take our chances, take a hike". He told us he'd call the Ranger.

After he left and 2 hours afterwards.... we had a think about it and we shifted everything onto the beach.... There were clear warning signs.

Now when I go its with the mates (no children & missus's). Just set up the swag or sleep on the sand for the night whilst fishing.

AnswerID: 153906

Follow Up By: Alex01 - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:46

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:46
P.S. When I say "Last time I went camping", I'm referring to the full blown 10 man tents, partners, sisters / brothers etc.... when we're not roughing it....

Last time I went fishing was on Sat night 28th Jan in Preston... Was a hell of a windy night & no fish. So we drank ourselves to oblivion instead.

Starting fishing @ 5am (with no wind) on Sun morning... 7 Taylor and 10 Herring between 2 of us. By 8.30am the wind had picked up and we packed up and left.

Can't wait to go again.
FollowupID: 407797

Reply By: joe213 - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:13

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:13
Yeah I enjoy the camping and fishing and beer and camp fire, have made a few bon fires approaching moderately sized football stadiums, but I will try to keep below apartment building sort of size in future.
AnswerID: 153918

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:37

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:37
It is (I beleive) illegal to camp ON a beach almost every where in WA. You can sleep in your vehicle or a swag but tents/tarps or camper trailers are out.

lighting a fire is frowned apon but tolerated.

Camping behind the sand dunes is fine unless signposted otherwise.
AnswerID: 153926

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 09:02

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 09:02
We found a couple of gems just north of Perth. One was Wedge Island. You pass through Lancelin then head through the dunes and part of the range. We spent weekend there (6 adults 4 dogs) and had a great time. Launched the boat off the beach, no one else around and heaps of room. There is a little shanty town near by.

Another spot was Black Point, near Cervantes. You need a local mud map to get there from the town. Although CALM are were trying to stop camping the servo owner would give you the directions. Great camping spot, great fishing too.

I'd give one of those a ago rather than go south.
AnswerID: 154013

Reply By: t0me (WA) - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 23:05

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 23:05
Yup there's a beaut spot. Binningup Beach (it should be on the map). Its off the Old Bunbury road, north of Bunbury, there's a servo at the turnoff. Lots of spots, and I believe its perfectly legal. The camping area is about 400m back from the beach but its great. I reackon you'd get away with camping on the beach itself but I don't know if thats kosher or not.

AnswerID: 154404

Sponsored Links