Luggage Carriers

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 19:57
ThreadID: 30573 Views:2362 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Might be a daft question, but best to ask it.

Getting (soon) a Luggage Carrier / Basket (Steel Mesh 1600 x 1200) to sit on my 2 x Rhino Sports Cross Members. Item weighs 20kg. The Rhino's that are attached to the Factory Roof Rails are only rated to 45kg. I'm not placing Jeery Cans / Wheels onto it. Its mainly for Tackle Box's, Sleeping Bags, Swags, BBQ Equip, Gas Bottles, Overnight Bags etc...

Is there anything I should be aware of when travelling, other than the obvious, distribute wait evenly and don't try to be an Evil Kaniveel around corners? Any suggestions on securing loads / straps / stretchable Luggage Net over the whole thing?

Travelling 150km and then onto the beach for 10km or so. Car is a Kia Sorrento.

Salesperson (of the racks / luggage carriers) tells me that even the Patrols don't have a very high load rating for the roof. Is this true or true for most 4WD's?

Cheers in advance.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:02

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:02
Alex01,

I may not be the right person to answer this but I seem to recall the roof load limit for both my 100 series cruiser and my current GU Patrol to be 200kg. I have never had roof racks so don't know about the vehicle caracteristics that change when you put racks on.

Cheers Trevor.
AnswerID: 153914

Reply By: Alex01 - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:03

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 20:03
Just to add

The Steel Basket is rated at 100kg
AnswerID: 153915

Reply By: Member - AdrianLR (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:18

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:18
A few points:

1. The Patrol does have a 200kg rating but this is when it is spread over the length of the gutters by a proper rack - roof bars put it at 4 fairly narrow points.

2. We have a basket that sits on the Disco standard rails. The U bolts holding it on come loose after long stretches of dirt. I've thought of replacing the knobs with Nyloc nuts but this would add to the inconvenience of putting the basket on.

3. Ours whistles when empty so another reason to only put it on when required.

4. I tie things down with a ratchet strap then put a luggage net over the whole lot is there are things on the rack that could flap.

Adrian

AnswerID: 153943

Follow Up By: evila - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:49

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:49
Hi Adrian,

Very interested about your setup as I also have a Disco and I´m trying to avoid having to buy roof bars.

With the basket fitted to the factory rof rails... is it a special basket? o would any basket be appropiate as long as correct size?

Thanks in advance for any view,

Henry.-
FollowupID: 408485

Follow Up By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 22:54

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 22:54
Hi Henry,

It's a standard basket - top dimensions are 1200 x 900. Base is slightly smaller. I fit it widthwise. The rails are around 900 long so the load is spread all the way along. The import dimension when buying is that the base is at least the outside measurement of the bars 1150ish. The next size up was easier to fit but hung over too much so would have caught on branches.

It's held on with wide, flat U-bolts. The front two face downwards as you have more clearance but the back ones point up. Just need to pack so that nothing gets pierced by the bolts.

I check the nuts every time we stop but it's only on really rough tracks that they occassionally shake loose.

Saved me around $350 for rails and has been really useful for kids bikes, bulky, light stuff and rubbish bags.

If you're in Melbourne you're welcome to have a look.

Adrian
FollowupID: 408608

Follow Up By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:10

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 23:10
Hi Henry,

Just noticed that you might be at Wandin - I won't have the basket but can answer any more questions you might have.

Adrian
FollowupID: 408613

Follow Up By: evila - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:41

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:41
Hi Adrian,

Look forward to having a chat with you on Sunday.

Cheers,

Henry.-
FollowupID: 408669

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 00:23

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 00:23
Alex,

"The Rhino's that are attached to the Factory Roof Rails are only rated to 45kg"

I think you'll find that that is each, so the rated load for the pair would be 90kg.

To secure loads, the best I have seen is the setup friends have.
They have a canvas bag which sits/straps to the basket and everything fits inside the bag, which is then closed by zips.

This was a local product made in Adelaide and distributed by Roof Rack World, but I would assume similar products would be available though most Roof Rack Distributors.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 153984

Reply By: spliney - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 08:14

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 08:14
Yeah agree with Sand Man... I had a canvas bag made for the aluminium rack on my 100 series. Made to specs and best thing invented since the bikini. Very easy to use, just like a giant "stuff sack". We often camp with six kids, so we use it for all the soft luggage - sleeping bags, duffel bags, swags, etc. Wouldn't be without it.

Spliney
AnswerID: 154004

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 09:01

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 09:01
Full length rack on the pajero, as per the photo.
Roof load rated to 200kg.
I put a tarp under and a tarp over, top one tucked in at the front and pulled back.
Hate those sleeping bags getting wet in the rain.
Otherwise wrap them in garbage bags, might be worth doing anyway.
Used to lace a rope over the whole lot, but took a while to do.
I made up 5 loops of rope on one side that go 2/3 the way across, and made up some long loops of elastic cord and a hook for the other side.
Once the top tarp is tucked in, takes a couple of minutes to do up.

Yeah, I know, too stingy to go and buy a cargo bag!

The rope is an old spinnaker sheet, and the 10mm elastic and hooks from the boat shop. The tarps are offcuts from a good vinyl tarp that used to go over the trailer sailer. Boat has since gone, but the oddments still bring back good memories.

Has worked great for over 20 years, for all over Australia.
(Used to be on the NB before the NK).

One suggestion on position.
I used to make the mistake of mounting the roof rack too far forward. The front was in front of the projection of the front windscreen. Have it further back now and not so many bugs in the gear, and fuel economy has improved. With a smaller rack, you might be able to mount it ni the middle. Try and keep the main load bars near the B & C pillars if you can for strength.
AnswerID: 154012

Reply By: Alex01 - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:29

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:29
Thanks for everyone's replies.

Have checked manufacturer and its 45kg over BOTH rails! What a joke.

May have to investigate into actually replacing the factory standard roof rails as well.

I'm not delving into a Off Road Trailer yet... SWMBO has the purse strings closed and a baby is the way.

Cheers

AnswerID: 154054

Sponsored Links