Tinnie on top of a Dual Cab Ute

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:22
ThreadID: 30579 Views:13318 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
A couple of responses to another question I asked re my planned trip to the Kimberley have got me thinking. Perhaps I should look into taking a tinnie. Pity to go all that way and not do some real fishing.

I have an '05 Hilux with a Carryboy canopy. Have 3 Rhino Rack sports bars on tracks on it. 2 bars on the cab, one on the canopy.

So, who has the knowledge to tell me if it is possible to carry a tinnie. Not worried about the weight. Possible problem is that the cab and the tub (with canopy on it) move somewhat independently, particularly on very rough terrain.

I carry a fiberglass canoe on top at the moment and have not had a problem. I tie down tight on the cab and use occy straps on the back in case of movement. Also carry 2 100mm sewer pipes. One for roll up awning, the other for fishing rods. Haven't had a problem with these either.

I'll look into fitting some rollers at the back somehow so I can slide the boat on and off by hand for the moment. Unless I can find a boat loader that suits that is.

Anyone out there carried a tinnie on a dual cab ute?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Haza - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:04

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:04
I'm planning the same thing with a duel cab Rodeo, I've got a 3.1 tinnie, visted a few roof rack places on the weekend. Make sure your canony rack is bolted to the tub and not the canopy either through or around.. The design they suggested has two racks mounted on the canopy with a flat rack open ended basket (cause I also want to store some stuff up top) with rollers fitted at the rear covering the canopy only. Then two bars mounted to the cabin. I'm not too concerned about a car topper as the roofs not two high and the expense + hope to have another strong hand on board. I'm still not sure how I'll tie it down either using a fitted racket strap over the top or too fit eye bolts to the boat and tie it down, maybe both for safety??? It' already looking at costing app $1500.
If I really do need some type of boat loader I'll look at using my winch in the setup some how, Just an idea!!!
With the tray and cabin being indepeant I'm told it sould be ok with this design, just not to have a basket connected to the tray and cabin.
I'm also interested in any improvements or ideas.
AnswerID: 153960

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:54

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:54
Haza, so you are saying the issue of the cab and tub moving separately is not a problem? As long as it is just the boat bridging the gap.

You will effectively have two bars on the cab and two on the canopy, with the two on the canopy also holding a basket, which will be under the boat.

Have I got this right?

My canopy is rated to carry 100KG without support from the tub. This is stronger than the cab roof, which I think is only rated to 75KG.

This gives me hope. I'll have to check it out further.

A problem I have is that without a loader, I'd want to be able to lift the pointy end and rest it on the back bar, then lift at the back and roll it on. Don't think I can get the rear bar far enough back to do this.

I'll be interested to hear how you go. Good luck.

FollowupID: 407866

Follow Up By: Haza - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:15

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:15
'so you are saying the issue of the cab and tub moving separately is not a problem? As long as it is just the boat bridging the gap.'
Thats what I believe to be right as the starps and boat will allow for a bit of flex.

By using a basket it will allow the rollers to be set far enough back to allow the boat to rest on them, maybe you could get something made up to substiute this without a basket. Once boat is resting on the rollers then with one person it maybe hard to then lift it up with one man. There would be nothing worse then doing your back a hundred miles from anywhere.
FollowupID: 407871

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 00:46

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 00:46
Maaaaaate,

Noticed you have an Odyssey Camper Trailer and assume you would be taking that with you?

Why not fit a Boat Loader to that?
Best solution IMO.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 153990

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 09:04

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 09:04
Trying to avoid that SM. We will be away about 16 weeks and will set up camp 60 or 70 times. Don't want to have to take the boat off that many times. Also, won't have a way to easily get the boat to the water without breaking camp
FollowupID: 407921

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 00:01

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 00:01
Take the boat off???

The boat rack will lift up with the boat still on it. Leave it at 90 degrees to access the camper, or lower it all the way to the ground. That's what I do mate.

Providing you are not too far from the water's edge, a pair of $50 clamp on jockey wheels will get your boat to the water with the motor in position and all gear on board.

Another (higher end) option is to have a folding, or collapsible boat trailer, which will enable you to transport the boat over longer distances from the camp site.

Just some further options for you Norm.

Buggered if I would stick the boat, etc. up on the vehicle's roof.
Bill

FollowupID: 408126

Reply By: Member - Peter D M - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 07:12

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 07:12
hi norm,
i've done this with rodeos, fraser island a few times and the big trip western nsw, sa, and all over tasmania. i have a quintrex 3.5m fishnipper 75kg, at the big end of car toppers. i was warned about the flex between cab and tub and there is a lot of movement between them.
looking at your photo i'm not sure how you will get it on or off you will have to add another support /rollers at rear to get it on and off.
i had a rack made each end of the tub, rear with rollers and a single rhino tradesman bar over the cab. the boat is carried by the tub 1.5m so the front 2.0m "hangs" over the cab. i tie the boat to the tub with no problems supporting it and have the front resting on the front bar. this is more cosmetic than support. i tie a poly rope from the front of the boat to the bullbar to stop the flap at speed.

hope this helps
regards peter
AnswerID: 153999

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 09:22

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 09:22
Thanks Peter,
I don't have the boat yet (have a 5.25m with 115HP, but that's a touch big). Probably target about 3.2m with about 9HP. Prefer bigger motor, but concerned about weight.

If I mount 2 bars on the canopy, I thought I might be able to run a rail along each side between them (parallel with vehicle, if you get the drift). I'd cantilever these rails over the back of the canopy far enough to get a bar with rollers between them to get the boat on and off.

Because of the shape of my canopy, the rear bar mounted on the canopy is about 500mm from the rear of the tub, so I'll only have about 1m between canopy bars. This means I have to support and tie down on the cab as well.

Interesting problem. All the ideas and experience so far are very helpful as I work through the issues.
FollowupID: 407924

Follow Up By: Leroy - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:24

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:24
Agree with what Peter said. I also made racks that were mounted at each end of the tub with 2 tubes between the tops of the racks. They were bolted through the floor and also on the inside of the tub where I had tabs welded on the racks.
I went this way because of the amount of flex between the cab and the tub. I made the racks a little higher so the point of the boat had plenty of clearance from the roof of the cab but I did notice a small dent in the roof!! That's how much flex there is between the cab and tub.
i welded thick tabs at the bar ends so the boat wouldn't slide off the side but I also bolted the boat through these. This way you don't have to worry about tie downs breaking.
Pitty you don't have a Rodeo as I still have the racks!!

Leroy
FollowupID: 407962

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 23:50

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 23:50
Norm,

Just a point on motor size.
You say you would prefer a bigger motor than a 9HP.

In the Mercury & Mariner range (same motor) both the 9.9HP & the 15HP motors weigh the same (35kg, or 77lbs)
So I recommend you choose the 15HP. This is the largest donk recommended for a 3.2m tinnie, I believe.

I have a 3.4m Stessl and with a 15HP motor, gets on the plane quickly with three adults on board and cruises at 40 Kph. (20 knots)
Bill

FollowupID: 408122

Follow Up By: Leroy - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 08:40

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 08:40
I also wouldn't buy anything less than a 15hp. I had a 15hp Merc (not the Tohatsu 'super' model ;-)) and a Stacer Seasprite. Was very happy with the hulls performance in the open water at Cape York. Performed better than a Quintrex Explorer 385 with a 25hp in the chop as it cur through the waves better.

Leroy
FollowupID: 408170

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 09:18

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 09:18
G'day Norm,

My neightbour, who travelled with us to the Kimberley, has a Rodeo duelcab and his boat sits on top. His duel cab is a little longer with the tub replaced by a tray so this might make a difference. The rack is made up of the traditional tube type on both ends of the tray so the cab does not share the load. This arrangement works well except (as already pointed out) there is some flexing between the cab and the tray. He improved the bracing between the rack and added a stay from the front of the bullbar to the front of the tinnie.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 154018

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 00:02

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 00:02
Good looking convoy there Beatit. Must have been a great trip.
FollowupID: 408127

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 08:46

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 08:46
G'day Norm,

It sure was a trip of a lifetime I reckon. We had good company and had a ball. Even when we had a breakdown there was no stress. Hope you trip is as good as ours.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 408171

Reply By: Bros 1 - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:18

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:18
Norm C,
Just following on from what Sand Man said about the trailer boat rack. I have one fitted to my C/T that allows the undoing of two bolts and the whole boat rack and boat tilt over to the side and stand upright beside the C/T or lay partly on the bottom of the boat opposite the tent foldout. Matter of minutes to undo two bolts. Would mean you having to manufacture a boat rack though, costing some oxfords.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 154030

Reply By: peteC - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 17:38

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 17:38
Hi Norm, I have a Triton with canopy. I have two Rhino roof racks on the canopy that have the support bars (internal ) that go down to the top of the tray so no weight is on the canopy. I put a third one on the cabin. I have a 3.1mtr heavy duty tinny that takes around 20 seconds to load on top. I lay the boat on the ground upright bum end to the ute about a 1.5mtr behind the car. Go to the front of the boat and lift until the boat is standing on its end upright. go around to the back of the car will steadying the boat and let it lower until the boat leans on the rear roof rack ( still bum in the air )
Lift the rear of the boat and push/slide it on fully to the roof racks in one go. I use Rhino ringslets that bolt into the roof racks to stop the boat going sideways and to tie the boat down to. It is easy and you dont need any great muscles, or any special roof racks, boat loader etc. When loaded you would not know its there when driving. I use a 5hp which is good for one person only. Got it because of size/weight and has inbuilt fuel tank but can also have a separate one. If a 9.9 and a 15hp are same size/weight (which they probably will be ) go the 15hp.

AnswerID: 155172

Sponsored Links