Collyn R- Optima Battery- too hot???

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 21:43
ThreadID: 30582 Views:6784 Replies:8 FollowUps:31
This Thread has been Archived
Question for Collyn or anyone else with Optima experience- just installed an Optima YellowTop 31 (75aH) as an Aux in engine bay- had to modify my tray and other bits to get it to fit, using a Redarc Isolator- went for 1hr drive today (2003 4.2TD Patrol) in temp approx 37-38deg C- happened to pop bonnet at one stage with car running to check something else- noticed round yellow cap near neg term on batt is missing (vented gas???), battery quite warm/hot and top slightly swollen- heat from turbo not so bad compared to heat being pumped onto batt and air filter canister from rad/ fan- QUESTION- have I already done serious damage to this battery??????????? - if so- battery bloke should have warned about underbonnet heat- told him where I was mounting!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:10

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:10
Junior.
What you describe is more like masive over charging than engine heat. When you installed the redarc did you wire it correctly. modern vehicles use the bus bar or power distribution point as a sampling voltage for the voltage regulator, if the alternator is charging the optimax but sampling the voltage from the starting battery you will blow up your optimax. Eric
AnswerID: 153961

Follow Up By: junior - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:34

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:34
I read somewhere here I think, that the hotter the battery, the more current it will "suck up", and this then makes battery hotter and this creates a looped situation- kinda like nuclear melt down! Redarc is pretty basic- lead in from main battery- lead out to aux- isolator solenoid links batts for parallel charging when main batt is above 13.6volts. If Redarc is sensing this good voltage and linking batts for Par charging- how could the alternator provide too much charge? Don't know much about alternator regulators?!
FollowupID: 407859

Follow Up By: Member JD- Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:46

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:46
Hi,
Sounds like an overcharging issue,get your regulator output checked,Ive seen batterys vertually melt from vigorous overcharging,its not the alternator it would be the regulator,not cutting out when the desired amount of charge is acheived.
JD
FollowupID: 407862

Follow Up By: junior - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:40

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:40
JD- starting to sound like an explanation for what has happenned. A good mate has an auto elec shop- will check regulator with him tomorrow morning. As a side note- my cranker that I WAS using as an aux battery and removed for the new Optima has quite swollen sides on the case- probably from also being overcharged!!!
FollowupID: 407880

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 00:56

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 00:56
What about your main battery?

If you had problems with the regulator, wouldn't it be causing the same affect to your main battery as well.

I have an AGM (Exide Orbital) in the engine bay and have not experienced a problem from heat.
Mind you, I don't have an Egg Beater pushing extra out.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 407894

Follow Up By: junior - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 01:07

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 01:07
I originally had my good (read under 6mths old) 720CCA cranking batt in as starting battery and was using Nissan original cranker as aux batt till it died (was expecting to happen- plan was to then buy AGM batt)- ran this flat too many times and it died while away over Christmas- so put good cranker in aux position (beer more important than starting!!!)and dead nissan batt as starter and just over-rode Red-Arc to link batts when I wanted to start truck. With that all said and done- nissan original battery could also have been flogged out not by just running flat but by also overcharging???- Will know more tomorrow I suppose!
FollowupID: 407903

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 03:35

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 03:35
junior,

"over-rode Red-Arc to link batts when I wanted to start truck"

Sounds like this has been a good way to stuff your $400 Optima mate.
Good Luck.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 407906

Follow Up By: junior - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 04:51

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 04:51
I thought my reply might be read like that- no, that was over Christmas with old batts- just put Optima in 3 days ago!
FollowupID: 407908

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:21

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:21
My mate had the same problem with his yellow top. Charging system was working (and still is with a exide extreme) perfectly. The battery was a little over 12 months old and it was a hot day up in the dunes having a fair old thrash in the sand. He went to do the last dune before we headed home, backed up and the car went dead. The optima completley bleep itself. No warranty, well not IMO. They wanted him to pay $170 for the warranty replacment because it was over 12 months old!!!

We went to a 25% off auto parts sale at Kmart and got an Exide Extreme for $110 and he's never looked back!
FollowupID: 407960

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:38

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:38
Collyn

I had nearly the exact same problem with a Blue Optima 75AH.

Didn't 'blow a vent' but had a couple of bulges on the top and wouldn't hold a charge for more than a couple of hours.

It came unwrapped, no plastic caps on the aux terminals etc etc so I am now of the belief that it was someone else's return and they tried the old 'pea under the shell ' trick to get rid of it.

The Chit part of it all, was that I was one day into a 3 week trip from Melbourne to Mt Dare, Simpson, Innaminca and home, and had to carry the useles piece of crap back to get a replacement.

Replacement given promptly by battery outlet with these words passed on (allegedly) from the Optima Distributor " we aren't going to replace another one"

So I used the replacement and it wasn't all that much better ($450), so I continued to use the good old Super Thief el cheapo wet cell that I bought in Adelaide and continued to work like a charm.

Later on I had to replace the cranking battery so I replaced both batteries with matching Delkors (Crank & D/cycle) - all okay.

This left me with a great wet cell and the 'gold plated' useless optima sitting on the garage floor, which I just played around with with different charging ideas to see how it all worked.

Mid last year I purchased a readywelder. The USA one that comes in a brief case and is a mig with a spool gun handle.

I picked it because of its versatillity re power sources, in particular 24V using 2 batteries.

When I got around to trying it out The 24V dilema was solved with the aforementioned two deep cycle batteries laying on the floor.

It was very interesing to see how they both stood up to it. The Optima discharges faster than the wetcell when welding, however charges up in an 'instant' compared to the wetcell.

Neither battery runs the welder adequately on its own, however in series will blow a hole clean through 3/16 - 3mm steel if you don't set it right.

So as a wind up - I still look forward to getting some value out of the Optima and most probably will never buy one ever again as there are half the price AGM batteries on the market now with a good as or better performance and no bulging tops.

Regards

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 153967

Follow Up By: junior - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:49

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 22:49
Thanx for the reply Ken,
Mine was definately brand new- was waiting since Christmas to come into country- wrapped in Optima plastic wrap and had all caps on etc. Was thinking of getting another for main batt till this happened- want to know WHY? it has happened though! When you spend $440 on the "BEST AVAILABLE" battery that's designed for commercial use in massive machinery- you expect it to perform!!!
FollowupID: 407864

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 00:23

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 00:23
junior, you say "When you spend $440 on the "BEST AVAILABLE" battery that's designed for commercial use in massive machinery- you expect it to perform!!!"
Should read the technical specs and not listened to the sales guy who is being paid to sell you these over-priced batteries.

You can buy an AGM DEEP CYCLE battery in either 150 a/h or 200 a/h
and specifically designed with a 10 year lifespan, not 1 or 2 years

Optima, 75 a/h -> $440 = $5.87 per amp

A G M, 150 a/h -> $280 = $1.86 per amp = no comparison :-)

A G M, 200 a/h -> $346 = $1.73 per amp = no comparison :-)

FollowupID: 407888

Follow Up By: junior - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 00:48

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 00:48
Mainey- did read tech specs- basically walked up to battery place and said "this is what I want- can you supply?"- also informed them of application and they confirmed would definately do the job.
Went for Optima (know other brands are available with more amp hours for less dollars and do agree Optima overpriced) after being convinced/ suckered in? by their literature re "spiral cell" technology allowing battery to stand up to more abuse/ vibration and their published ability to be used as a serious cranking batt also. Their standard warranty on the Yellow 31 is two years (no pro-rata rubbish)- so I would think they would expect a somewhat greater lifetime than that. I don't like to frig around with inferior products, which is why I do my research and don't mind paying extra for the best version available- quite often the 'best' product is overpriced- but this is due to the opposition manufacturers operating on a lower playing field
Was not aware of any AGM batteries specifically designed with 10 year lifespan in a harsh under-bonnett environment- but any chance you could supply some brands on batteries you mentioned above so I can do further research on the net. Thanx in advance :-)
FollowupID: 407891

Follow Up By: junior - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 05:16

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 05:16
Fullriver 90ah batt is biggest I can fit in tray under bonnet (no way you can get a 150-200ah batt in there!)- rated at more generous c100 rate, not Optima c20 rate. $250 + Shipping (would expect @ $50)= $300- yep, still $140 cheaper than Optima. Optima can put out good solid CCA's- can't find any info on CCA output for Fullriver. Which will last longer??? Time will tell I guess. Also, 1000 cycle rating (10 year) on Fullriver is when on a float charge- expected life is 4 years or around 400 cyles if cycled to 50%- assuming no other damage, ie vibrations.
I am not flaming another brand of battery- just pointing out that I have made a choice to suit my circumstances.
FollowupID: 407909

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 05:58

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 05:58
junior, the link-> http://www.vision-batt.com/newpdf/D/6FM100RD.pdf
will show you relevant information on a 90 a/h, AGM, Deep Cycle battery, size 306 x 169mm.
They have a 100 a/h, AGM DC, that's about 337mm long?
Fullriver; 90 a/h battery is 307 x 159mm.

It will be less expensive than the 150 & 200 a/h batteries I used as comparison in the post above, they are all the same brand and same manufacturing technique, giving the same 10 year life expectancy, note this is not a 10 year warranty.
FollowupID: 408816

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 06:12

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 06:12
Woops...

90 a/h, AGM DC battery, 306 x 169mm, correct link is ->
http://www.vision-batt.com/newpdf/D/6FM90D.pdf

Sorry, the link I placed above is to the 100 a/h AGM DC Battery :-(
FollowupID: 408817

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:04

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:04
junior, what has the battery bloke said about it?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 153973

Follow Up By: junior - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:35

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2006 at 23:35
Haven't spoken to them yet- just happened today!
FollowupID: 407878

Reply By: warthog - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 09:29

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 09:29
We have gone to 34 series yellow optimas in our fleet of 7 ambulances. The mechanic decided to try these out 8 years ago when he got sick of replacing dud wet cells. In the 8 years since we have gone to these batteries there has been one failure, which is a pretty good record. Hope you have luck sorting your problems out.
AnswerID: 154020

Follow Up By: warthog - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:49

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:49
I have a '00 td42t gu with 2 34 series optimas in and have had no problems though I am a bit worried about the possibility of the inner guard tearing with all that weight sitting on it. The auxilary battery tray I have fitted seems a fairly strong design though, so I guess I'll deal with it if it happens. I just had a look at the specs on the 31 series and I would definitely be worried if that was sitting under the bonnet. 27.2 kgs is alot of weight to have sitting on your guard, the steel guage seems to get thinner and thinner with each successive model.
FollowupID: 407936

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 13:05

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 13:05
G'day Warthog,
Yes mate, I'd be VERY careful of the weight of the battery on the inner guard if I were you. It's not the aftermarket battery tray you need to worry about (mine is bloody well made and strong too), but the mounting points (on mine) utilise 5 captive nuts in total (2 on the side inner guard and 3 in the tray itself that go through the main mud guard). 4 of the 5 nuts have broken away/torn the surrounding metal.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 407973

Follow Up By: junior - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 13:31

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 13:31
Roachie- sounds like we have the same tray- Piranah? What sort of weight did you have in your tray and what sort of trip did guard tear on?
Even an Exide extreme 700cca weighs 28.5kg!!!
FollowupID: 407979

Follow Up By: junior - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 13:37

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 13:37
Sorry- 25kg!
FollowupID: 407982

Follow Up By: junior - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 13:41

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 13:41
Warthog- do the Ambo batts go underbonnet??? (eight years so far sounds very nice!)
FollowupID: 407984

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 15:19

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 15:19
G'day Junior,
Yes mate, I 'think' mine is a Pirahna, (the auto leccy ordered it in for me when I bought the vehicle new in 2000). The problem is that because the point where the vertical bar that the washer bottle bolts to hides the section of the inner guard where the 2 captive nuts are located, you can't see the damage beginning to occur until it's too late.....then you see a large hole about the size of a 20 cent piece, where the nut has pulled right through the guard. Same thing on the bottom support too, except that it doesn't "pull-away", it just fractures the metal around the nut/s. The only solid part of my whole set up was the brace that went from the top of the battery across to the 10mm nut that holds the guards together (just under the bonnet lid).
I have a mate with a 4.2TD as well, but his doesn't have ABS....and he has a battery tray right up in the back corner of the engine bay. Seems to be okay there, but he hasn't done anywhere near as much rough road travel that I've done.

It's impossible to say that the damage to mine occured on a particular trip. We've been to Cape York twice, and many other trips involving a lot of corrogations etc. Also, I have longer, stiffer suspension which would also make life more difficult for these sorts of brackets and associated gear.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 408007

Follow Up By: junior - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 17:48

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 17:48
Yep- that's the one Roachie (anodised joffa too)- I've got really soft Tough Dog Springs and adjust shocks to very soft when offroad too- don't do heaps of corrugations- more high country and mud bashing! Had a look to see if I could put a plate behind panel to spread load- like you said though- no access! Think I'll do a little preventative work and cut nuts off body in wheel arch for tray bottom and put a plate in there at least. Will just have to be another thing to check on the maintenance list!
FollowupID: 408050

Follow Up By: warthog - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:38

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:38
Hi Roachie,
Good point, I'm hoping the guard hangs in there, the tray has several mounting points so as you say I hope It spreads the load, 34 series optima is about 19-20 kg I think.
Hi junior the batteries are under the bonnet on the gmcs, f250's and troopies but can't be used in the mercedes sprinter delivery vans we are going to as they won't fit.
FollowupID: 408077

Follow Up By: junior - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 01:06

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 01:06
Good to know Warthog! Think I'm still gunna have to heat sheild this thing- after talking to Auto elec mate today, was informed regulator on alternator is a voltage regulator (not current- in my limited knowledge, thought it might do that too!)- I didn't ever see voltage go above 14.2 volts on GPS, so looks like might have been a thermal runaway thing. Top no longer swollen on batt and ran/kept Engel 40L to 3deg (through fridge controller) overnight approx 12hrs- batt only fell to 12.2volts-
*** IS THERE ANYWAY to test capacity of an AGM batt accurately??? (ie: not rely on supplier to tell me whether batt is ok or not!) ***
FollowupID: 408137

Follow Up By: Mike DiD - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 19:38

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 19:38
"was informed regulator on alternator is a voltage regulator (not current"

- I have NEVER seen an Alternator Regulator that senses the current going to the the battery. There are very few Battery Isolators that monitor the current oing in to Main or Auxilairy battery.

An Alternator puts out a constant voltage (adjusted for temperature) and depends on the battery to regulate the current going into it. This gives long battery life in most cars, because the battery is rarely discharged more than 5%.
FollowupID: 408355

Reply By: Sam from Weipa Auto Electrics - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:57

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 10:57
I run a optima blue top as a cranking battery in my 79 series turbo I also had it in my 75 series ute and have never had a drama with it at all I also run a trojan deep cycle as my second battery because that was all I had handy at the time. I use the blue top for some serious winching activities (I have a warn high mount) and if I'm out camping my car is used for the music and I run an amp I can get 4-5 days runnig the stereo and it recharge's after a fairly short drive. I have had it for almost 1.5 yrs now hopefully I will get about 8-10 out of it if I do its worth ever cent and more. cheers
AnswerID: 154036

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:46

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:46
This sounds like thermal runaway.

It is probable that the prime cause is excess charging voltage. It rarely happens but it is possible for a regulator to fail in this fashion (and if it does an alternator can literally generate 100 plus volts before it blows the output diodes apart).

If this is compounded by the battery being located where it overheats then a battery will almost certainly fail as you describe. (The mode of failure incidentally is why all of my books stress very strongly that ALL batteries must be ventilated).

AGM batteries are generally very rugged but their very characteristic of high charge acceptance and high discharge capability also causes them to be vunerable to 'thermal runaway'.

The warmer a battery the more readily it accepts a charge. If the regulator is faulty, the battery is charged at a higher than acceptable current. This generates internal heat and that allows the battery to accept even higher charge - which in turn heat it up further - and so on. Eventually something gives or goes bang. Or both.

It is just possible this was a crook battery - but if the starter battery too is swollen then it sounds like a serious charging/heat problem.

If you do find the regulator to be crook I would suggest you also replace the alternator. It will have been stressed.

Less probable - but the above can also be caused by a slightly faulty starter battery cable connection. Some voltage regulators take their needed voltage reference from the starter battery - others do it internally. If that cable is slightly intermittant the charging voltage can go very high. This more usually manifests in poor starting - but it can and does happen if the battery connection is clean and normally making good contact but moves sometimes sufficiently to lose contact.

The above is why auto-sparkies will never test an alternator unless there is a battery across it - and why boat master switches always connect the second battery before disconnecting the first (or ground the field connection during changeover).
Trust this helps
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 154060

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 16:49

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 16:49
That's great news Collyn,
I've just ordered a 120a/h Fullriver via the net and now also have a second 3 stage charger (from a mob called "Solarforce"), which I will be installing in the back of my Patrol. This battery will replace the N70ZZ which I currently have sitting in there (I know; I'm a naughty boy!!!), since I decided to move the aux batt from the engine bay.
I was starting to get concerned about the 2 different batteries stuffing each other up, but given what you've said above, plus the fact that I'm using 8mm (I think) cable, plus the fact I can and do manually isolate the batteries using a solenoid with in-cab switch....I feel I should be okay with the AGM not stealing charge away from the main N70ZZ.

Now all I've gotta do is see if anyone wants to buy a near new, N70ZZ that has only been used for aux purposes and has had a very easy life. It has "normal" located terminals which preclude it from being used as the main starter battery for the Patrol which (as you no doubt know) has left handed terminals.

Thanks again for your illuminating response.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 408029

Follow Up By: junior - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 01:15

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 01:15
Collyn. any other way to test alternator other than multimeter testing voltage across batt being charged while engine running?- ie: other than faulty lead-out wiring, can voltage output from alternators go "intermittent"?
PS: if i have to vent- should I use tin to surround batt, then attach insulating foil etc to outside, then vent this new "box" to outside through bonnet???- can you suggest another way?
Was also told that current output from alt would either be ok or nothing at all- could not go 'high current'?!
FollowupID: 408139

Follow Up By: Mike DiD - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 19:45

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 19:45
In an NM/NP Pajero if the Hazard Light Fuse blows, it cuts the voltage sensing input to the Alternator, so it runs at maximum output !

This could easily produce over 16 volts output and put more than 20 amps into a fully chared battery.

Mike
FollowupID: 408357

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:31

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:31
Junior

1. Capacity - only meaningful way is to fully charge and then to discharge at a known rate (with an AGM suggest 5%-10% of Ah capacity). and note the time to for voltage to drop to 11.8 volts.

With a good battery the result is will be about 10%-15% bit less than the maker's data: they run the battery to virtually flat - which even with an AGM is not that clever a thing to do. If you do this with a non-AGM use a 5% load.

2. Alternator testing - there's not much you can do except check it using a multimeter across a range of engine speed in situ. If you have any serious concerns take it off and have an auto sparky inspect it internally and check it out on his/her test bench.

3. Re voltage rise from alternators. An alternator's output is determined by the voltage across its field, by the voltage regulator. Its aim is maintain a constant 14.2-14.4 volts (some reduce as temperature rises). To do this it monitors the battery voltage - if that falls then alternator output is increased - and vice versa.

Some regulators have an external battery connection for this purpose, and if that connection becomes loose or is broken then the alternator 'thinks' the battery is dead and winds itself up accordingly (as high as 100 volts).

To reduce this possibility however some other alternators take the battery voltage reference from within the alternator. With these, the problem is rare.

Re underbonnet battery mounting: I don't think this is a major issue as long as the battery is not alongside the exhaust manifold or turbo. There are reported cases of AGMs failing up north but I suspect it is a combination of heat and overcharging that is the cause. Ring Val Rigoli (Fridge & Solar re this - 07 5500 5061) he has a heap of experience re underbonnet mounted AGMs.

I would not bother with heat insulating as such but it might well be worth using a heat-deflector between the side of the battery and any major heat source.

Do note that if using battery chargers - many AGMs including LifeLine specify float voltage of 13.35 at 25 degrees C. and as low as 13.0 at 35-40 degrees C. This is hugely less than the typical 13.8-13.9 volts of most low-priced three-stage chargers - and there is a very real risk of damaging the AGM if left on permanent charge. It is of course also a lot less than the alternator's output, but this is less of a problem unless driving for a long time every day. (My own vehicle has a manual cut-out switch enabling me to stop charging the AGM in such circumstances).

Trust this helps
Collyn Rivers

AnswerID: 154276

Reply By: junior - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 19:00

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 19:00
Thanx for all the replies guys- battery did well over weekend in Portland playing in sand- will test this week with known constant load. PS Collyn- why the 11.8volt figure?- I thought 10.5volts was assumed to be a rough guide to being a 100% flat batt.
AnswerID: 154754

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 19:45

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 19:45
junior ,Im going to jump in before Collyn ,, 11.8v because no damage to batt !!!! people " think " 10.5v is ok to discharge to , fatal flaw for any batt !!! want short life span for your batts ??? takem down past 11.8 / 11.5v... I run 80amp hr Fullriver AGM hgl as start and same as aux under bonnet of 80series turdo diesel +3x same on camper trailer,,never a problem with heat or recharge.
FollowupID: 408737

Follow Up By: junior - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 19:51

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 19:51
thanx- learning more with every posting!
FollowupID: 408738

Follow Up By: junior - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 02:30

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 02:30
yep- didn't read point 1 properly re 11.8volt test resulting in 10-15% less than batt makers claims!
FollowupID: 408813

Sponsored Links