STR Navara Recovery Hook

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 16:40
ThreadID: 30603 Views:2420 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
In the past I've recovered from the eyes in the ARB bullbar I have on the Navara, but from what I've read on here, and looking at the damage I'm doing I decided to fit a dedicated recovery point. So I purchased one of the $20 ones and can't for the life of me find a suitable place on the chassis. The best option I've come up with is the possibility that a factory Patrol hook might fit some existing holes in the chassis, but Nissan want to charge me half the price of the new Navara for the washers alone so I'm keen to hear of what other people have done? I'm also keen to hear what people think of the factory Patrol hook - not the loop but the proper 20mm diameter hook?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 17:05

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 17:05
i bolted two recovery hooks through the chassis on my Navara. Used one of the existing threaded holes and had to drill a hole for the second one and fit a crush tube. I have been trying to find out for sure what the rating one the Patrol hooks is and can't get a definitive answer form anyone. One of our club trainers querried their sutability as they are not stamped with a SWL rating.
AnswerID: 154110

Follow Up By: Fanbelt - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 17:21

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 17:21
Thanks Patrolman Pat. I spoke to someone at Russel Guest 4WD and he seemed to think the OEM hooks were the ducks guts. Then again you read through this forum and get the exact opposite answer!

When you say you used the existing threaded holes are they the ones behind the airbag crumple section of the chassis, at the bottom of the rail? I've got two holes about 60mm apart there. Oh and excuse my ignorance but what's a crush tube?
FollowupID: 408037

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 17:29

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 17:29
Mine was an older Navara 99 model so no air bag. I used one of the existing bull bar mounts, just fitted a longer HT bolt into the thread welded inside the chassis. I drilled through the chassis for the other bolt hole and welded a tube through that to stop the chassis crushing. I then fitted a longer HT bolt through the hook and the chassis. It was a PITA and I never ended up using the hooks before I sold the car.

Most peole seem to rate the OEM Patrol hooks, they certainly look like they are up to the job. I have read of one or two giving way though, probably through abuse. I just want to find something rated that fits the existing bolt holes.
FollowupID: 408040

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 18:26

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 18:26
The Patrol hook is a recovery point.

It may well be rated SWL but so are any shackles used. SWL is typically about 25% of the failure load, so it will stand up to recovery OK. Personally I don't hink it is the BEST recovery hook because I note the hook does depend on two welds, and the layout is not ideal and this is probably the reason for past failures. I think some failures may result from the recovery strap catching on the very end of the hook where the retainer is. It is not the best design, and I prefer to hold the strap well seated by using a little duct tape.

Cheers
Dave O
FollowupID: 408053

Sponsored Links