Bourke to Tibooburra Road - Camp spots

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 19:45
ThreadID: 30610 Views:7236 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning on doing the Cameron's Corner area on our way to Kimberley from Gold Coast in May. It is almost on the way after all!

We want to get to Tibooburra area as quickly as possible so we can spend more time in the target area (8 days including 2 or 3 in Birdsville). Figure we'll do a big day on day one and get somewhere around Walgett. No camp sites marked between Moree and Walgett or Brewarrina in Camps Australia 3 (other than in Walgett and Brewarrina), but I figure if we need to we will find a nice spot along the Barwon river somewhere. Any suggestions would be welcome.

My real question is on the Bourke to Tibooburra Road. Don't know what it is called and it looks like it is dirt /gravel all the way. Haven't done this road before and Camps Australia 3 only lists Mt Wood (Sturt NP), just short of Tibooborra. Suspect we'll need to camp overnight before Mt Wood and it would be a pity to 'just miss' a good spot due to ignorance. Anyone know of a good spot.

Thanks guys, and lots more questions to come on this trip.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:32

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:32
If you can get away reasonably early from Bourke, it's an easy days run into Tibooburra. Its a long time since I was on that track but did it easy in a Series 2 landie in a day, even though it had rained.
AnswerID: 154144

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:44

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:44
Thanks Footloose. Problem is I won't get to Bourke in a day. RACQ site says it is a touch under 1000KM and 12 and a half hours. Looking for a big first day, but not that big. I reckon a big first day will get us around 200 to 300KM short of Bourke (ie Walgett to 100km short of there).

We will have the CT in tow and a big load on (start of 16 week trip), so don't want to push too hard.
Norm C
FollowupID: 408081

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:55

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 20:55
I see your point. I'd try and make Waanaring on day 2 and ask the local boys in blue. There might even be somewhere around there. I don't think you'll have any problems finding a spot.
12 1/2 hours isn't a big day...unless you have kids. I know people who've done a lot more distance than I do in a day. I can remember one biggy for me with the family, from Alice across the Plenty and up the dingo fence and across to the Isa. And it was all new country for me.
These days I just doddle along with few stops. The same people keep passing me for some strange reason :))
FollowupID: 408087

Reply By: Member - Phil [Sunshine Coast] - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 21:01

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 21:01
Giday norm, b4 xmas we went to wa.left here 3.30am arrived Cobar about 6.30pm, no trailer, so we could sit on 110/115 most of the way,if you can share the driving, & you dont have young kids, Bourke should be doable.[You are an hr or so closer than me ] I,ll keep an eye on this thread for c/sites,we,ll be doin the same trip, [a month earlier] good luck..Phil

AnswerID: 154147

Reply By: toohey. - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 21:23

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 21:23
g'day norm
behind the pub at wanaaring,gravel from bourke to tib.
cheers toohey
AnswerID: 154157

Reply By: Boxhead - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 21:56

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 21:56
Norm.
We went from Warwick Qld to C.Corner Via Tib. last year on this route
Warwick - Goondiwindi - St George - [o/nite free camp @ Bollon incl. hot showers] - Cunnamulla - Eulo - [coupla nites @ Currawinya NP on Paroo river] - Hungerford [great pub] - Wannaring - Tibooburra [coupla nites] - Cameron Corner & so on.
Maybe.
Gold Coast to Bollon Day 1
Bollon to Tib Day 2

Hope this helps
Regards Mark
AnswerID: 154173

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 23:52

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 23:52
Interesting route Mark.

By RACV route planning only 20km difference is distance, but about an hour less time. Not sure how reliable the times are though.

Norm C
FollowupID: 408123

Reply By: hoyks - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 22:02

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 22:02
I did the road in June from Bourke to Tibooburra and it took us all day. But it started raining on us as we left Wanaaring. If it looks like rain, find another way or camp. 200 odd k sideways isn't fun, well it is for the first 10 minutes, but the next 4 hours gets a little tiring. Wanaaring road I am told is generally good, with occasional bull dust holes, but watch out for road trains.
I am told that the camping just out of Bourke on the river is OK, Bourke township isn't the nicest place around though.
We looked at the camp just out of Tibooburra but weren’t keen on spending a few extra days out there as conditions were deteriorating. The cars that came through after us spent 2 days there before they made it into town.
Caravan park in Tibooburra itself is basic, but clean and cheap for tent sites, pay at the Shell servo. Pub on the left heading North through Tibooburra does a good counter meal too.

Hope you have better luck than us. Drove 1200k to spend 3 days in the Tibooburra van park waiting for the roads to dry.
AnswerID: 154176

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 23:57

Thursday, Feb 09, 2006 at 23:57
You take your chances in this country hoyks.
Hope it is dry for us though. From when we leave the Gold Coast, we have 15 days to get to Katherine to meet friends and continue to Broome and Kimberley. Plan is 8 days from Tibooburra until we leave Birdsville. Other days are the old drive and camp routine.
FollowupID: 408124

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 07:24

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 07:24
If you can make Bourke the first day, head out through Nth Bourke (over the bridge) and not long after you turn onto the Tibooburra road there is a river camp on the left.

Between Brewarrina and Walgett there are camps on the Barwon, or you can by-pass Bre and camp to the north on the Culgoa River crossing, this road re-joins north of Bourke.
AnswerID: 154236

Follow Up By: Steve from Armidale - Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 09:22

Friday, Feb 10, 2006 at 09:22
May's Bend is a great spot on the river about 12 kms out of Bourke. The Visitors INfo centre has a mud map on how to get there.

I drove the Bourke - Tib Road a couple of years ago and there was camping behind the Waanaring Pub, but there was also a couple of bridges with a track leading of to the right (going towards Tib). Lots of tacks and campsites. From recollection it was a couple of kms east of Waanaring.

Cheers
Steve
FollowupID: 408178

Sponsored Links