CSR - earliest time to go

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 00:15
ThreadID: 3062 Views:1409 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Any ideas on how to tell when the canning will be open, it April a possiblilty, are there any historical dates and are they reliable.

Thanks all

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Topcat - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 00:45

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 00:45
Check with the W.A. 4WD Association at www.wa4wda.com.au for any upto date info. They should be able to steer you in the right direction.
AnswerID: 11726

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:58

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:58
Sean, up until last year it wasn't possible to travel the full length from bottom to top due to low lying ground flooding and last year from only late June was it possible to travel all the way to the top. As in any year, its usually possible to get as far as well 23 as soon as the rains stop, then maybe access to 33 but the top wells from there on are often boggy and sometimes impassable. We always publish the latest reports in our WA road conditions - click on the Western Deserts bookmark. Keep in mind that in Perth for example the rainy season is winter - rains start to fall heavily, daily from May - August. The interior often doesn't get this rain, the CSR is mostly affected by wet season run off from the Pilbara so look at conditions there. It has been very wet up there recently, but seems to be drying up now. Even though we're well into Jan it is still too soon to speculate when the CSR will be ideal for travel. It's still possible for a cyclone to come through the NW so who knows! Most people (ourselves included) will be looking at a June start at Wiluna.
AnswerID: 11729

Reply By: sean - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 18:14

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 18:14
Michelle and Topcat, thanks for the reply.

I think you are right about the cyclones determining the amount of wet. So will have to see what happens. I will take your advice and try to plan around June.

Thanks Sean
AnswerID: 11762

Reply By: Coops - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 22:29

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003 at 22:29
An unbelievable amount of rain has fallen out there this past week and no doubt more to follow. I don't imagine anyone will be traversing that for some time yet so I would check prior to an April departure. Am personally looking at June but will have to wait and see what transpires with the remainder of this wet season.
AnswerID: 12111

Sponsored Links