Aftermarket Bypass Oil filter kits

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 08:31
ThreadID: 3064 Views:3424 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I can see the sense in using a <10 micron bypass filter, and have looked at some of the web sites mentioned in the other threads for bypass Oil filters. Has anybody got a url for a company that markets kits for Landcruisers where I can purchase over the web?
I seem to recall seing an bolt on type re-usable filter arrangement in ARB some time ago, but can't remember what micron level the thing went to.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:25

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:25
Chris I don't know anybody who sells them as complete kits.
I get the Baldwin filter and filter housing adaptor from United Filters in Melbourne.
You need a VDO 'T' piece from Repco or the like, about $20 max
This VDO 'T' piece fits your oil pressure switch outlet and has the same thread and as far as I know, VDO is the only company that makes the adaptors. You then screw the VDO adaptor into block, screw the oil pressure switch back into adaptor and then the other port is a 1/8"NPT/BSP and that goes to the Baldwin filter adaptor which is also 1/8"NPT/BSP
From the other side of the Baldwin filter adaptor, which is also 1/8"NPT/BSP, that goes to one of the ports available in the block or anywhere you can return oil to the engine. There are always spare vacant ports on the block which will have a plug in. Go and see the Service Manager of your local Toyota Dealership to find out wherethe vacant ports are.
For the hoses, go to your local hydraulic hose suppliers and they will make up the necessary hoses for you. You will need swivel thread fittings on one end of the hoses. Either end does not matter.
Just in case anybody gives you any bull manure about the 1/8"NPT fittings, tell them to go jump, as in 1/8" NPT it is identical enough to 1/8"BSP. The problems start with NPT after 1/2". Up till and including 1/2" you are right.
AnswerID: 11740

Follow Up By: Member - Chris - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 23:19

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 23:19
Thanks, i'll check
FollowupID: 6720

Reply By: Peter L - Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 20:52

Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 20:52
Chris, please post the results of your investigations.
AnswerID: 11821

Reply By: Jol Fleming - Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 23:21

Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 23:21
RACOR filters are good for this, finer filter used to market them,

cheers jol
AnswerID: 11838

Reply By: romabout - Saturday, Jan 25, 2003 at 00:25

Saturday, Jan 25, 2003 at 00:25
Chris,
Like you I can see the merits of Bypass oil filters. I have spoken to a number of suppliers in Adelaide but up till now cannot find anybody who will supply the necessary items in kit form.
In my case I would like to fit a bypass filter on my 1999 GU 4.2TD Patrol and would like find find someone who has already achieved this.
It has been suggested to me that it is necessary to punch a hole in the sump, just below oil level and screw in a fitting for the return line.
I am not impressed with this method, maybe someone has found a better way. Please advise your research results.

AnswerID: 11840

Follow Up By: Michael - Saturday, Jan 25, 2003 at 11:27

Saturday, Jan 25, 2003 at 11:27
Hi Romabout,
I have a 1micron bypass filter fitted to my GU 4.2. no need to punch a hole in the sump. there is a return plug on the left side of the motor, in behind the alterrnator. I actually found this after i silversoldered a fitting to the return pipe from the turbo, its just as effective.. I have a Filter Technology P/L , (near Newcastle NSW.) unit fitted, elements are about $5 or the complete housing top for $12. The unit is about $130 and a fitting kit is about $50 . The whole system works great. Hope this helps. Michael
FollowupID: 6772

Reply By: romabout - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 00:00
Hi Michael,

Many thanks for your comments re fitting a By Pass filter to your GU.
I see that Filter Technology have agents in Adelaide so I will discuss with them about a system for my vechicle.
I would like to be prepared before talking to the agent so could you advise:
1. The part # of Filter Technology bypass filter you fitted.
2. The location you mounted the filter. (not a lot of room left under the hood)
3. Have you been able to extend the kilometres between oil changes.
4. How often do you replace bypass filter element ? and also what frequency the two existing filters.
5. What type of engine oil are you using ?

Good to hear you are happy with your system.

Sorry Chris if I have diverted your original question but this sounds interesting for me.

AnswerID: 11964

Sponsored Links