trackabout campers anyone ?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 05:17
ThreadID: 30668 Views:7413 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
looking at purchasing myself a trackabout offroad ct (safari) would like to hear from any body owns one or has had any experience with one .any and all feed back would be greatly appreciated ,before i take the plunged and throw my had earned pennies away.
thanks tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DJK - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 08:03

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 08:03
Tony.. We hired one last year fro trip to Fraser. My Sister who was looking at a Jayco at the time was so impressed they bought one... I spent over 8 months researching all the brisbane CT's on offer and ended up with one as well.. We both are extremely happy with the units as well as the aftersales service..nothing was / is to much trouble including various modifications we made...hope this helps
AnswerID: 154413

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 08:18

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 08:18
Tony,

18 months ago we hired a Safari for a weekend away. It was our first trip with a trailer and I was very impressed. Eventually we bought a Cavalier, we would have preferred a Trackabout Safari but couldn't find one at the time in our $ range.

IMHO they are definitely worth the money!
AnswerID: 154415

Reply By: big red car - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 09:41

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 09:41
Hi Tony,
We have a number of Trackabout Safari Camper Trailers in our Hire fleet - Overlander Camper Trailer Hire, Brisbane.
Our Safaris have been to Birdsville, Cape York, Lawn Hill, Darwin, Fraser Island, Moreton Island and everywhere inbetween. We have never had any breakages or failures of any kind.

We did at lot of research into Camper Trailers before starting our hire business and dediced to use Trackabout exclusively for our fleet, because of the bullet proof build quality and design, ease of set up and pack up and the fact that they are so flexible if you decided to make changes to the set up, (these guys are professionals at personal modifications).

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to call us on (07) 3245 2181
(no we are not on commission from Trackabout, lol, we just think they are a great company with a great product).
Regards,
John & Julie
www.overlandercampertrailerhire.com.au
AnswerID: 154421

Reply By: sandyngraham - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 19:40

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 19:40
Hi Tony,

We have just completed 9 months around oz with our Trackabout taking it anywhere and everywhere our only major problem was a bent discvovered on our return (too many dips, potholes, undulations, rough roads / tracks), we consider that it was a small price to pay for the comfort and reliability that we enjoyed. Would thoroughly recommend the Safari. Met a guy from the UK who was in the Marines and his comment was that he wished they would build military equipment that tough!

Cheeers and enjoy

Graham
AnswerID: 154473

Reply By: spliney - Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 22:08

Saturday, Feb 11, 2006 at 22:08
Tony

We took delivery of ours in December after months of research. Very happy so far.

Trackabout staff obliging and happy to negotiate on price and inclusions!

The one thing that I hadn't anticipated was the tow ball weight. I have a 60L Trailblaza and a battery mounted on the draw-bar and even with the spare wheel mounted on the tail gate and front water tank empty, the ball weight is still significant enough that I need to beef up the rear suspension on the 100 series LC. The Safari axle is set well back on the trailer and with the Drifta Kitchen occupying much of the rear load space, there is little opportunity to balance the load.

For your interest, the options I decided upon were...
Upgrade axle to 50mm square with parallel bearings
16" LC wheels
Electrics for fridge plus lights
Extra water tank
Additional canvas front and back, plus kitchen annex and one side wall
Aluminium checkerplate box on drawbar for fridge
Shovel mounts
Extra height in tonneau
10' bedroom
Piezo stove (upgrade from poverty pack)

Since taking delivery, I found it worthwhile doing the following...
Couple of extra spreader bars for canvas roof
Marine carpet on trailer floor
Extra drawer for Drifta (avail from Trackabout)
Rubber gauze in Drifta drawers and shelves to stop stuff sliding around
Sealed a few gaps where mud / dirt/ sand / water might sit - eg where the fridge box sits in an steel angle "seat".
Glued foam to jerry storage to stop jerries rattling around.
Added an exhaust fan to the fridge box and insulation to underside of lid
Installed an east-west partition inside trailer 300m from front for storage of light bulky stuff like camp-chairs, mats etc
Fixed a bottle opener to rear end for non-screw caps!!

In summary - a great unit and I'm looking fwd to many a fantastic trip!

Best of luck with your decision.

Kind regards
Spliney

AnswerID: 154496

Reply By: Member - Tony W (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:08

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:08
thanks for comments confirmed my decision.tony
AnswerID: 154529

Reply By: Claudie - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 16:00

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 16:00
Hi Tony ,
If you want any help with the Trackabout trailers email your contact details to me on foxer 22250 at yahoo dot com dot a u , we are now selling them and also hiring the trailers and having a great run with them and getting great feed back. Will be pleased to help any way I can.
AnswerID: 154582

Sponsored Links