Victorian trip

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 16:44
ThreadID: 30707 Views:2772 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am heading down to Victoria in a few weeks and will be firing blind in new territory.
Can someone please advise if the road from Buchan through Suggan Buggan and on to Jindabyne is ok for camper trailers?
Also same for, Omeo to Tallangatta or Or Omeo to Corryong?
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 18:45

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 18:45
I've towed my camper over those roads, mostly good dirt, the run from buchan to Jindabyne is narrow and winds around climbing from the snowy up on to the plateau, take it easy and you'll have no probs
AnswerID: 154596

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 19:03

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 19:03
Peter, I guess the Humvee clears the road of cars for the trailer and you don't look in the mirror to see thay have passed........ No wonder you say "no probs" LOL

I do remember seeing a stock truck years ago when I was last that way
FollowupID: 408566

Reply By: PBob - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 18:59

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 18:59
Thanks Peter will take your advice.
AnswerID: 154597

Reply By: pt_nomad - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 21:57

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 21:57
Hi,
All the roads you have mentioned are easily navigable in 2wd vehicles and all are either dirt of have dirt sections.
The Corryong Road is fairly corrugated, and I reckon it’s a no good mongrel road ;) but Corroyong is a beaut town had has a good bit of info on ‘Jack Riley‘ the bushie who inspired AB Paterson’s ’The Man from Snow River’.
The Sugan Buggan Rd. is dirt and at time’s it is only 1-1.5 vehicle wide road, with a nice drop off to the side, it’s beaut road to drive, well worth the trip.
The road through to Tallangata is mostly sealed, dirt from around Mitta Mitta I think. All these roads are in hilly country so towing probably won’t do you fuel economy any favours.
There is a few good NP camp grounds along the Talangatta rd, ‘Jokers’ is one I have stayed at.

There are some good camp grounds on the Jindy – Buchan Rd. and also along the Benambra – Corryong road.
Our club (Land Rover Club ACT) has just released a CD of camps sites, attractions and some 4WD treks in SE NSW, plus good coverage of the flinders and a few other locations around OZ. It covers two of the roads / areas you are interested in as well as from Tumut, Nwora, Sth of Eden across to Omeo.
It is intended as a trip planning / research tool and are there 220 entries on the CD. The CD has detailed interactive mapping locating the sites and coverage for all of Australia. Some samples (less mapping) are on the club web site at:
Jacks lookout (on the Jindy / Buchan road).
Paddy's River Falls
Saltwater Creek, Ben Boyd National Park

Sorry for the shameless plug, but the CD does contain a lot of info for touring visitors to SE NSW, which it seems is what you need. It has camping info on the Buchan and Corryong roads.
The CD was released this weekend at our large local 4wd show so we can now sell it. We can mail you a copy for $25, but can only accept postal order’s or cash at this point in time (sorry). You can arrange a copy by emailing CGCorner@lrc.org.au
Enjoy your trip to a great part of the country.
Paul.
Membership sec. LRCACT.
AnswerID: 154629

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 18:29

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 18:29
DO YOU HAVE AN UP TO DATE PASPORT ?????
IF NOT THE BORDER GUARDS MAY REJECT YOU

rotflmao
steve
AnswerID: 154745

Reply By: PBob - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 18:49

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 18:49
Didn't know that those Mexicans could read, let alone know what a passport was!
AnswerID: 154751

Sponsored Links