roadkill and guns

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 22:20
ThreadID: 3071 Views:1485 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
It is not unusual for us to hit kangaroos on our roads. Sad and we try to avoid the situation, but the bull bar demonstrates its value. I stop and check the animal and if needed, put it down. I don't have a gun. I wouldn't carry one if I did. I usually have a knife handy. I sometimes have an axe or hammer. The tyre lever is need otherwise. This is probably going to stir some response: If there's a joey, I kill that too. There are signs along the road with a number for wildlife refuges, but I feel that sending an injured or immature animal to one of them is worse than ending it quickly. I have had to put cattle down and would use a hammer for preference, now I know where to hit them. I have considered a gun. I'd shoot the foxes and rabbits. But.... knives and hammers don't go off by accident.... hmmm Royce
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ROX - Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 23:25

Thursday, Jan 23, 2003 at 23:25
royce I hsd to put down an emu in Shark Bay last year. A pommie tourist came into the caravan park and said he hit it and couldn't put it down. When we got there we found the Emu on the side of the road with the pelvis bleep ered with bone fragments on the road. The kindest thing I could do was get out the axe!!! Ps my son 3months later broke his femor he spent 8 weeks in traction, I dont think any animal welfare would do this. PPs he still limps, If I didn't put it down it would have been eatern alive, I believe I took the right action
AnswerID: 11785

Follow Up By: Royce - Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 10:53

Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 10:53
Ahhh, but that's the point. They would keep an animal for long periods nursing it back to health. This in itself is stressful to an animal. They then have to re-introduce it to the bush where perhaps a difficult and short life might follow. Anthropomorphism, is where humans imagine animals are human and therefore attribute the same feelings to them. The first animal I killed was Polly our sheep. She needed to be put down and was in pain from a chlostridial disease. I read my Farmer's Handbook, got the carving knife and with great loathing and disgust did the deed. She went quickly and painlessly [I believe]. After that experience, and given good enough reason, I can kill an animal and feel well that I have done what was needed. I have often wondered about wars, or someone attacking me or my family.
FollowupID: 6729

Reply By: viking - Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 21:35

Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 21:35
It's not a pleasant experience hitting a roo with a bullbar-less car. Very expensive.

I once had to put down a sulphur-crested cockatoo that hit the handlebars of my bike.

I've taken to carrying a priest (a hardwood bar like a small baseball bat, used for subduing fish) in the car, mainly for protection but it would be handy for putting down an injured animal. They are $4-5 in tackle shops.
AnswerID: 11822

Sponsored Links