Roadside Cover - who to join up with??

Submitted: Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 16:23
ThreadID: 30736 Views:2842 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

The wife and i are heading off around OZ in about 6 weeks and I thought it wise to get some form of 'roadside cover' while away. My initial thoughts were RACV - but I'm not 100% certain if they are the best.

For total care it's $166 p/a.

If you could suggest any others that you have experienced that would be great.

Look forward to your thoughts!!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 16:34

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 16:34
Smithy you can guess what will help you.

All the best

Has the boss got the idea yet.
AnswerID: 154722

Follow Up By: Smitty - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 16:39

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 16:39
Again - I think you're are right on the money Eric! I'm still working on the boss .... slowly but surely!!

I'll be hearing the 'bbbrrrrrrr' of the compressor locking in the rear diff before I know it :)
FollowupID: 408707

Reply By: NJC - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 17:58

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 17:58
We are with RACQ and were travelling the CREB track in the Daintree a few years ago... got rained in for 4 days and had to leave our vehicles there.

Swam through rivers, got help from a farmer with a boat, needed accomodation, and then hired a car to get home.....

One week later when rivers had gone down, had to hire another car, drive the 3 groups back, and rescue our vehicles.

RACQ Ultra paid for accomodation, compensation to the farmer who helped us with his boat across rivers, and vehicle hire.

Was VERY happy with the Ultra care!

AnswerID: 154738

Reply By: Member - Jon W (QLD) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 18:19

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 18:19
Not sure if you are a Queenslander but I would also recommend RACQ Ultra.
When you and your vehicle are in Ultra, it is covered regardless of who is driving it and any vehicle that you drive is covered.
For what its worth,
Jon W
AnswerID: 154740

Reply By: prado-wolf - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 19:15

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 19:15
Hi Smitty,

we got the RACV total roadside care and last year we had to stay a few days in Alice with diff problems and the RACV was tops when it came to booking accomodation , hire car and also a new windscreen. Their call centre staff was excellent and i am more than happy to pay my membership fee again. Can highly recommend RACV.
AnswerID: 154759

Reply By: BenSpoon - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 19:55

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 19:55
the RAC organisations have aggreements that each will service each others members. You generally only have cover in your own state, but in other states the cover is provided at no cost by the other clubs- The downside being that you are then governed by their rules and benefit limits, but they are all very similar when you get the top cover. I dont know how the east coast RAC's are, but you can only join RACWA when in WA or about to get into WA for a decent period of time- As mentioned before though, you will still be covered through your original club. Call them for a breakdown and they pass your details to the club whose state you are in and they sort you out from there.

Stick with the top level of cover if travelling, It generally provides much longer towing, provision for towing a caravan/CT, longer emergency accommodation etc.
AnswerID: 154767

Reply By: cabbageoz - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 20:23

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 20:23
Please be aware that while you may have top cover which is good you may find, like I did, that there is a limit of 2 [two] tonnes on towing/recovery by tilt tray.
Caravan or trailer is extra. For instance, 108 klm's into Broken Hill =$950
[all care and no responsibility] Same at Moree, will bring your vehicle in, but van or trailer extra. $37.50 for 15 Klm's
You may be better to ask about this before you leave just to be sure.
RACQ were aware of the setup I had at the time and never mentioned anything about this, so it may just be that NRMA are just a mob of sooks.
AnswerID: 154771

Follow Up By: Notso - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 21:04

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 21:04
I had the same problem with NRMA. Only tow a van if it is less than 5.5 metres long.

Good thing the local NRMA agent was sympathetic.
FollowupID: 408745

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 21:30

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 21:30
Hi Smitty,

Just check with Total Care, as I am sure that it will cover all vehicles under the members name. I believe my Dad has Total Care and it covers his 100 series, 60 series and the run about vehicle. So one payment covers membership and all vehicles.


AnswerID: 154789

Reply By: Smitty - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:32

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:32
Happy I came to you guys for some confirmation - that is Great!! I'll certainly be giving RACV a call and taking up the 'Total Care'.

Thanks to all!!
AnswerID: 154856

Sponsored Links