Around Australia Trip

Submitted: Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 01:03
ThreadID: 3074 Views:1713 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Iam planning a trip around Australia for July 7 to October 3 this year during my long sevice leave. Leaving Perth and heading north and across the top.
I would be interested to hear from anyone planning a simliar trip, with a view to possibly forming a convoy or perhaps someone to join me as a co driver and share costs. Or just any general suggestions about my intended trip.
I will have my two primary age daughters with me ( I am a single dad). I have a 2.8L diesel pajero wagon.
Iam also looking for a camper trailer to purchase, like a Jayco Finch or Dove
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: royce - Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 22:38

Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 22:38
Enjoy your trip. I did the reverse in '94 for three months with my two kids. The best thing I've ever done. A loose itinerary, but stop and look at anything the kids want to see. By 'Around Australia' I assume back down the Stuart and home? To do the lot i.e. across to Qld and down the east coast I reckon would take twice the time. We done that in different chunks. I've sort of done three 'aroundoz' trips. Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 11830

Follow Up By: John - Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 23:42

Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 23:42
Thanks Royce, for your reply. I was hoping to get to Qld because we have family there but like you I think it may be too long for my three months. On paper it can be done but I know since I will be the only driver it could be too much. Perhaps I will just go as far at the time will allow me then turn around and go home. Comming down the Stuart had occured to me but I was not sure how rough it is. Have you done it what is it like??

cheers John
FollowupID: 6762

Reply By: royce - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 20:24

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 20:24
The Stuart is bitumen all the way. I find it interesting. Boredom kept to a minimum with kids. We camped beside the road all the way, but the last couple of trips have found it harder to find pulloff spots with a two line fence along the roadside much of the way. If you haven't worked out 'power-naps'.... give em a try. As soon as you feel a bit droopy stop and walk and stretch. The next time and that will not be only be an hour or so later, stop beside the road, DON'T GET OUT JUST SIT THERE. Let the kids play nearby with strict warnings to not go too far and wake you in 15 minutes. When you do wake. GET OUT OF THE CAR AND WALK AROUND. If I go back to sleep I'm useless for a long while. If I lie down, it is very hard to wake up. After this snooze I can drive for a good while, perhaps 2 to 3 hours. Another nap later in the day will also work, even late at night, but not nearly as well. Always pull into stops where there are other travellers and say G'day. They'll tell you all the sights to see and places to go. Have a great trip. Royce
AnswerID: 11950

Sponsored Links