Interesting fuel consumption figures

Submitted: Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 10:03
ThreadID: 3075 Views:1161 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I thought I'd post this just to illustrate how different driving conditions can affect fuel economy. This is an example of extremes.

Last sunday we went up to the Myall Lakes for the day. Did some beach driving had lunch at hawks Nest and came home.

On the trip up, we had a dream run to Karuah. Traffic was light, sat on between 105km/h and 115km/h once we hit the freeway and returned a consumption figure of 10.9L/100km. This is a dream figure for a 3.5 petrol Jackaroo that hangs around the city a lot.

We topped up at Karuah (only have the standard tank) before we headed to Bulahdelah and then onto the beach near Mungo Brush. Spent a couple of hours there in extremely soft sand. Aired down to 12psi to get any decent traction. After that we spent some time in Hawks Nest then headed home at 5pm. We got caught in the 26km long car park on the F3 due to the fires near Mooney Mooney. Finally getting home at around 11pm. Normally a 2 1/2hr trip. Fuel consumption a disastrous 25.3L/100km. This is actually the worst figure I had ever seen in this car.

An interesting day!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Soldier - Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 10:25

Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 10:25
G'day Savvas,

Wow, quite a contrast in best and worst figures.

10.9 Is quite a good figure for the 3.5V6 Jack, you must have nursed that right foot a bit.

I had some interesting figures on an outback trip last year. I also have a 3.5 V6 Jack, and on a Gulf and lower Cape York trip last year returned 15.90 l/100km over 7,000km.

There were two of us in the vehicle [me and the treasurer] and we were towing an off road camper trailer.

Road surfaces were about 35% good bitumen [110+/- km/h], 30% "ribbon" bitumen, 20% bush roads, and about 15% really rough 4WD bush tracks. [I think that makes 100% :) :) ]

All in all I was reasonably satisfied with that consumption figure, and am wondering if other Jack owners may have similar.

enjoy the bush.

DennisN

AnswerID: 11798

Follow Up By: Savvas - Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 14:59

Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 14:59
Hi Dennis,

Most of our "mixed runnig" trips have returned between 14L/100km and 17L/100km. It all depends on what the trip is and what the load is.

Normally, our longer black top trips will return around 12L/100km. But then very ocassionally we get some outstanding result like last Sunday's 10.9. I think it has only ever been that low once before on a return trip from the snow about 2 1/2 years ago.

The cruise control was on for just about all that part of the trip last Sundaty, so that of course helps. The other thing is that the "power" mode was also on reducing the amount of transmission hunting, ours being an auto. The manual says to use normal mode to save fuel. However, it seems to me that the vehicle labours less and probably burns less if it can find the right gear quicker and hold it rather than hunt up and down on hills. It seems to work!

Your 15.9 with that mix of travel and a trailer in tow sounds like a good result to me.
FollowupID: 6741

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)