Swags

Submitted: Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 21:25
ThreadID: 30753 Views:3352 Replies:11 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All

Yes I have done a search and decided to ask anyway. I would like to get a swag for quick overnighters and times when Kir doesn't come away. Got a couple quick questions
1. What are the best swags, I liked the look of the dome ones
2. Will a double swag fit 2 poeple in it, if kir does decide to come? Or do I buy 2
3. What is better 100% cotton canvas or a poly canvas mix?
4. What weights in canvas makes it better, have seen 12oz, 14oz and 16oz
5. Anthing else to look out for

cheers

Ads
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: simple - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 21:42

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 21:42
1. the hoop type are good, they often have a large mesh front so they're very open in warm weather and would be my pick if i bought a new one, i have a A frame type i.e. big pole at the head and little pole at the foot, has mesh at both ends and a zip down flap at the foot and large overhang at the head for bad weather, it gets a reasonable breeze through it and is a bit cheeper than hoop type.

2. double will fit 2 people but is bulky to carry round if you;re on your own.

3. a poly floor would be better i think just to stop it getting damp, it doesn't soak through but under side is often damp when packing up

4.don't know

5. they're all good in their own ways but make up your own mind, you want something with good ventilation but can also be sealed up in foul weather (mine still has ventilation in foul weather cos the head is just fly mesh)

simple
AnswerID: 154794

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 21:52

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 21:52
I like and use southern cross swags

Iam 6f 3" and 135 kg the wife and I fit nicely into a southern cross double.

The southern cross has a vinyl bottom and our down under has a canvas bottom under both I put a ground sheet that is slightly smaller than the base.

No sure what weight it is.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 154799

Reply By: BenSpoon - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 21:56

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 21:56
In Poly you will sweat then steam as it doesnt breathe. With heavy canvas it will be hard enough for it breathe, so dont make it any harder.
I've got a Jolly swag and its going strong. Another good one is AOS (Aussie outback Supplies)- both Aussie made. Get something with a thick mattress at the top half as it will thin a little with the years.
Dome ones are great for 40-degree nights- just keep the fly screen top open and they catch any breeze going through and are free to move around in.
Handy extras I have seen- A flap of canvas on the outside to throw over your boots to keep em out of your swag and keep the dew off them, and a pocket built into the swag to store your poles, pegs and rope for the dome ones (AOS). Try and avoid the top-entry ones if possible as they are a pain in the arse to get 2 people into and you spend 20 minutes undoing 4 zips before you can get out.
AnswerID: 154802

Follow Up By: Moggs - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 22:04

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 22:04
LOL, I reckon top entry are the way to go - I used to hate staggering and stumbling out the end or side of my Matilda swag :)

Top openning...zip...zip...sit..stand.

Side/front openning...zip...roll...crawl...roll...kneel...stagger...stand
FollowupID: 408775

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 00:16

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 00:16
Hmmm.

Depends what he means. I interpreted top entry to mean entering from the head end. I can do that in my swag though I've never tried. It would be good if you were in inclement weather just to keep the bedding drier.

I use the "top entry" you are refering to via the "roof".

You get both options in the Darche that I have which is a Superdome.

It's been everywhere and I know at least another dozen happy Darche owners. Definately worth a look.

Dave
FollowupID: 408806

Reply By: Moggs - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 22:01

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 22:01
Hey Ads,

Definitely go for a dome with a top entry and ventilation at the head and feet. For value-for-money I reckon you can't go past the Oztrail Mitchell swag. It is domed, kingsize, heaps of ventilation, well thought out with plenty of smart features. I used to have a traditional swag (Jolly Swag Matilda Kingsize) and the Mitchell is much better. You can get them for $200 when on sale at Grangers or Discount Camping in SA. I also reckon the double swags are only 1 1/2 times as big as the kingsize singles. I reckon you'd be better off buying two for when you both go away.
AnswerID: 154803

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 22:32

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 22:32
can't agree more Moggs.

I have the same setup - when you need it fully opened up to the stars it is easy with the additional opening at the head, and if it can keep me dry in the 12 inches in 36 hours - I guess it rained 1/4 of that in the night - at Daly Waters in January then it should cope with anything.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 408781

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 23:13

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 23:13
Evening Mr. Crazie

If you are wondering were Grangers Discount camping in SA is. just think of the following:

You know the intersection of Frankston-Dandenong Road and Thompsons Road.

Yeah! thats right you know it well.

Well Grangers is no where near there.

Bonz has got one, or uses one as I've seen him in it with the biggest mother of a 'POWER CORP Blanket' over the whole contraption.

Ask him, because as you and everyone else is aware - he is the Minister for everything and Anything, with bullchit in place of what he doesn't know.

Just make sure it has a decent matteress because you will need it in the Northern Sector of where you intend using it.
FollowupID: 408793

Follow Up By: Richard - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 07:55

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 07:55
Another vote for the Oztrail Mitchell
FollowupID: 408824

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 16:29

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 16:29
Try the grangers at the dandenong end of franga/dande road...
They had a few..

But again try before you buy. They arent for everyone.. Thats how i got mine so cheap :)
FollowupID: 408911

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 19:37

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 19:37
I got mine from Rays Ads, and Lucy, there seems more than a modicum of bullch coming from you hahahaha
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 408954

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 22:36

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 22:36
Borrow mine for a weekend.

You can see if you like them or not, they arent for everyone.

You saw what it looks like.
AnswerID: 154809

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 22:44

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 22:44
Ultima gives you a coffin shape with two sides and top of mesh . Then a flap over that zips on for rain .

Tie one end to Bull bar and one to tree or use their triangular pole .

So far ahead of the rest it's a joke .

Willie
AnswerID: 154811

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 23:33

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 23:33
Go and talk to Ian at Southern Cross Canvas.
I have a double and a single for the young bloke, my daughter loves then also, so I am just about to get another double for the son and the daughter can have the single.

Use it all the time if touring double fits the girlfriend and myself no hassles, very very good.
link text
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 154820

Follow Up By: Shawn - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 12:24

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 12:24
I agree John,
The wife and I use the double dome swag and find it very good. We also use a tent every now and then on longer stops, but find ourselves using the swag more and more.
Cheers
Shawn
FollowupID: 408870

Reply By: bucky - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 07:47

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 07:47
Dear Crazie
I have a Bourke & Wills " Stringybark ", and have use it heaps ,, they are great ,, a little expensive but well worth it,, never been wet inside it yet ,, even in the worst storms ,,

http://www.outfitters.com.au/html/coolabah___waratah.html

Only critisizm of it, is that in the Simpson Desert on those very cold nights ( -5 ), the centre of it sags, onto the sleeping bag ,,, now that is easily fixed
Just get the " coolabah or warratah " models and the problem is fixed ..I use an old sleeping bag I got fron St Vinnies for $5

Another hint ,, go to Clark Rubber, and get yourself a sheet water, proof hi density, foam rubber, and use it as a ground sheet ( and an extra mattress ) ,, you see I'm 17 stone on the old scale ,, and I find it really cosey, this way
Cheers Mate
Bucky
AnswerID: 154842

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:19

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:19
We bought Rays Outdoors 3 hoop 'Outback' swags for our Simpson trip, & found them to be excellent, 100% waterproof, even in torrential high country rains, comfortable Dunlop mattress, a couple of pockets inside for torch & water bottle etc, easy entry through the top, has end entry as well but I reckon it would very awkward, but excellent for ventilation.
We bought 2 singles, mainly because when I just go away on my own, I don't have to cart a double all the time. ( Also because I didn't want to get kicked out into the cold for snoring! )
I think from memory that we bought them in one of the 20% off sales & they were around $150.00 each.
AnswerID: 154851

Reply By: Goughy - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 14:08

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 14:08
G'day Ads, just my 2 cents worth, if its just for the odd overnighter, personally I wouldn't go too flash, save your money, buy a good all canvas single for yourself & get a double with the bells & whistles for when your missus makes the trip, as someone said earlier, a double is too bulky to take away by yourself and I totally agree so your looking at 2 swags anyway.
really, when your out on your own or with some mates, when all is said & done, all it is is somewhere to catch a bit of sleep.....
have a good one....
AnswerID: 154901

Reply By: daryl67 - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 14:30

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 14:30
we have a double burke and wills coolabah and it great lot of ventilation if needed been in it in a storm in the kimberly (127mm) and not got wetcanves floors are better no condensation ours is 15oz rripestop not cheap but good quality you get what you pay for
AnswerID: 154906

Sponsored Links