Little Bulldog Mounting Options

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 01:53
ThreadID: 30760 Views:5019 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone

I have a GU Patrol, offroad CT and 12ft Stessl Alum dinghy.

Very happy with rig - just the carrying around of a Little Bulldog Collapsible Trailer that is causing me some grief. I would like to use it as the concept of a separate trailer works for me (set up for a few days, leave boat ready to use etc) - rather than dinghy on roof. I like the lower centre of gravity also and fuel efficiency.

As post 25768 suggests, Little Bulldog is not light and I have been trying to work out a concept of how to carry.

Ideas to date:

Kaymar rear carrier - with LHS arm adapted to carry Little Bulldog. When around town and not using - we will remove arm. Negatives - cost (was told base price of $3700 fitted plus fabrication to adapt for Little Bulldog) plus arms seem hard to open (ie my wife will be unable to open the back when travelling around). Don't really need Kaymar carrier otherwise.

Little Bulldog on roof rack. Perfect location as out of way when not in use. Issue is how to get it up there. Weighs approx 67kg complete so too heavy to lift up above head. Ramp - possibly as can wheel it around when folded - but perhaps too steep to get on roof. Even thought of making a removable cargo arm - like you see lifting dinghies onto larger boats. Would swing out, block and tackle to lift wing over rack and ti down. Job done - but perhaps this is a bit experimental?? Someone please blow a big hole in the side of this idea because it is occupying my mind now.......

Am I missing another alternative.?

Want something simple and easy to do on a regular basis - otherwise novelty of fishing from dinghy when travelling around is going to wear off (6 mths on road next year).

Any feedback appreciated. Great site - thanks to plenty willing to share experience. Hope one day I am able to reciprocate.

Alan

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: woodyWA - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:22

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 09:22
Hi Alan, my dad lives in esperance and travels up north every year with his 12" stacer on his 80 series landcruiser. He tows a 17" caravan and his bulldog trailer is mounted on the back of it. He said bulldog trailers supply a bracket for mounting to caravans and its less than a metre off the ground, mounted horizontally. I dont know if you can use this type of system on a camper trailer because you might have a swing out kitchen etc but im sure you could mount it somewhere like the drawbar, or side or the camper etc. Try to keep it low.

Hope that helps

woody

AnswerID: 154853

Follow Up By: Member - Alan (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 10:00

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 10:00
Hi Woody

Thanks for the feedback. Yep - have seen pictures of caravans doing this - and heard that someone had mounted an A-frame on the back of a Camprite CT. My CT manufacturers will not install on the back of the CT - too dangerous in their view. From memory they were concerne about CT swaying due to weight on back when driving. Also already considered drawbar area - no extra room given what is already there (large box for motor, spare tyre, stone guard etc). Without breaking it into smaller parts than it is already, can't get it on. And breakin it up evn more than already done woudl seem to defeat the purpose.

Last few times we have gone away, I have just placed it on top of CT, and tied it down - so that it sits in the void under the dinghy between seats when traveling. This worked fine if going to one stop for a week - but is not going to work if stopping more regularly. Also not for back lifting this on and off.

Thank
Alan
FollowupID: 408839

Follow Up By: Member - Alan (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 10:01

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 10:01
Sorry - forgot to mention - I do have the bracket that you mention. Thats is what I was considering putting on the Kaymar wheel carrier.

Alan
FollowupID: 408842

Reply By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 14:00

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 14:00
Not exactly sue what your trailer looks like but have seen some that fold and store inside the boat when on top of the CT .

If you cant find a solution it may be an option to sell it and get one that either breaks down into manageable peices to store on your roof rack or folds to fit in the boat.

6 months is a long time to have something that is a PITA around every day .

Glenn
AnswerID: 154900

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 20:36

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 20:36
I agree with you Glenn,

I have a "Flip'n'Easy". Total weight is 60kg and the wheels/axles are removable.

Usually strap mine to the top of the rack on the Camper, with the boat over the top, but can also fit it inside the camper's storage area if necessary.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 408964

Follow Up By: Member - Alan (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 00:15

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 00:15
Thanks Glenn and Sand Man,

The dinghy is on a gas lift attachment - which means for an ovenight stop you just swing it up out of way. Looked at the concept of holding the trailer inside dinghy - but the gas lift cannot support weight of both dinghy and trailer.... The trailer itself is excellent and road-licensed/not speed-limited to anywhere near the extent of others on the road. Dinghy is sitting in garage at the moment ready for fishing - ie it gets used when not camping also...

You are also right that 6mths is a long time for a PITA Glenn - hard to bring what individually are very good components together - but that's the challenge.

Thinking of investigating a move of the spare tyre on the CT to the roof of the car and see if I can get Little Bulldog in there. CT tyres are matched to vehicle - so would have the added benefit of always carrying 2 spares whereever car goes (regardless of whether trailer is attached).

Thanks again

Alan
FollowupID: 409013

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 23:02

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 23:02
Hi Alan,

What about bolting a wheel to the bottom of an 1"x1" (or 2x2) box section and dropping it through another box section welded to the side of the boat (close to the transom) bolt this together and you have a temporary trailer axle ??? (have seen it done... looks easy but unsure of strength). Now its just a matter of making an A-frame. Hmmmm
If you want the little bulldog mounted on top of your car, look at a disabled persons car and see how their wheelchairs are mounted up top and you may be able to use something similar. Strengthened for the extra weight of course.
Talk to you later when you will obviously be able to share the correct answer with us all, hehehehe.

Regards Trevor.
AnswerID: 155040

Follow Up By: Member - Alan (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 00:18

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 00:18
Hi Trevor

I was talking to guy down at a boat shop on Sat am - and he also suggested looking at how the disabled persons cars re wheelchairs were done. Have had a brief look on the web and will keep looking.

As I mentioned to Glenn and Sand Man, thinking of investigating a move of the spare tyre on the CT to the roof of the car and see if I can get Little Bulldog in there. CT tyres are matched to vehicle - so would have the added benefit of always carrying 2 spares whereever car goes (regardless of whether trailer is attached).

Will keep you updated on my progress.

Thanks again

Alan
FollowupID: 409014

Sponsored Links