Giles Spring Falls

Submitted: Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 15:28
ThreadID: 3077 Views:1636 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone been out to the waterfall near Giles Spring Yard in the Alice Valley out of Alice Springs lately? I understand that the Pastoral Lease
(Owen tation)has been bought by the NT Government and the track out to the waterfall runs across that property. I was there last in '94 and the track was extremely rough. My name for the waterfall is Fern Falls. Up from the first cascade there is a forest of magnificent ferns. Believe it or not! Cheers, W
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jol Fleming - Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 23:06

Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 23:06
The Parks people have closed it off so the only access is by foot from the gate that is locked. Ring the parks people in alice on 088950 8211 for the swith board. Yes Owen Springs stn has just been taken over by the NT govt
cheers Jol
AnswerID: 11834

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 23:21

Friday, Jan 24, 2003 at 23:21
Thanks Jol, Its a pity that it has been closed off. I take it that the gate is locked at 8 mile gap.Then it is a loooong walk in. I am busy re writing an article on the area and need some updated info. I have done four trips into the falls in the mid 90's and always found it a magical spot. Will ring Parks to get more info. Cheers,W
FollowupID: 6761

Reply By: Jol Fleming - Saturday, Jan 25, 2003 at 10:45

Saturday, Jan 25, 2003 at 10:45
You can get through the gap ok but there is a fence not far from the spring, they have found some very rare plans there, thats the reason, they have come up since the cattle have gone,
cheers jol
AnswerID: 11847

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Saturday, Jan 25, 2003 at 11:28

Saturday, Jan 25, 2003 at 11:28
Thanks. There were always some very rare plants in the small gorges above the falls. I did some research on some plants at the Arid Lands Research Centre in Alice. This particular area is a remnant ecosystem of a period long ago and is quite unique. I am very pleased that I was able to get out there and see the ferns and other plants. I made it about halfway up Mt Giles but ran out of puff. There are some spectacular rock formations where the water had carved its way down over the millenia.
Cheers,W
FollowupID: 6773

Sponsored Links