Government department = stupid decisions

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 17:52
ThreadID: 30782 Views:2739 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Travelling and obtaining a drivers licence in West Australia really is a total joke!!

You can't (legally) use your Eastern states licence after living here 3 months.

The stupid thing is if you can't give them a 'legitimate' address they won't give you a WA licence anyway!!

They would not accept my actual address a few years ago because it did not have a post code, Cleaverville beach, between Karratha and Roebourne, it was fine for the guy who collected the sensus paperwork back in 1998 or '99, so I gave them an address as a bit of a joke and because it had a legitimate post code it was accepted.

Now I live on the Princess Highway, somewhere in Perth CITY centre, not really sure what building though as I did not have to specify a number on the Highway.
Funny thing is the Princess Highway does not even go into Perth!

Fortunately my paperwork goes back to a PO Box in Melbourne, similar thing with Vehicle rego, Telstra, Insurance and important paperwork.

How do others solve this problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tim F (NT) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 19:53

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 19:53
Leave Western Australia, and come and live in the NT, everything seems easy over here. Just left Broome after working for 6 months, what a nightmare of a place!!!

AnswerID: 154971

Reply By: Cheiffy - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 21:06

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 21:06
Hi Mainey,

Here is an example of some fine work for you. My wife is Japanese and when she moved here she went off to the dept of main roads for her licence. Because she already had her Japanese licence all she needed to do was a computerised test in which she passed after some study. I found it really ironic that nobody actually asked her if she could drive a car. She didn't have to do a driving test or even prove she knew how to drive. She obtained her Japanese licence when she was in school and hasnt driven since. Makes you bloody wonder!
I also think the 3 month rule goes for most states. I had to change mine after moving to Qld and this included my car rego also.
AnswerID: 154990

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 21:37

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 21:37
Yea but the good thing is you dont have to pass your Eastern states Liscense in to get a WA one. I drove around for 3 years in a SA registered vehicle and whenever pulled over just showed my SA liscense. When I went to renew my SA lisense they wanted my WA one
They dont give you parking tickets with interstate plates.
Besides isnt the postcode for Clearville 6714
AnswerID: 154996

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 23:32

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 23:32
davoe, my vehicle is still registered in Vic, even though I haven’t been there for about six years, an then it was by plane. they won't register it here in WA 'cause it has to go over the pits, as you do for the first time and it's now wearing different rims an tyres, and I've been told, when I did apply to have the rego changed, that they will have to be replaced with the originals... won't happen!!
As to the parking tickets... yep your correct there, can park anywhere you wish with Vic plates, I actually asked a parking inspector why he didn't book THAT vehicle wrongly parked over there?...(made out it was not mine) and he explained it would be a waste of his time as there was no reciprocal deal with Vic. Now I know it's ok to park for hours, unless they have wheel clamps etc....

You say “Besides isn’t the postcode for Clearville 6714”, I’m not sure, I believe it’s called Cleaverville, but I could easily be wrong, it’s at the mouth of the Nickol river between Roebourne & Karratha, and is just a beach with no facilities at all down a dirt road.
It’s a great place to ‘hang out’ at the far end of summer for a few weeks, waiting to go further north as the monsoons finish up north, as long as you stay away from ‘Honda city’ just over the sand hill.
FollowupID: 409006

Follow Up By: Rosco - Qld - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 09:18

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 09:18

Incase you're interested


FollowupID: 409039

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 12:42

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 12:42
Definately 6714. Until you hit Roeburne its still the karratha post code.
What do you mean no facilities? Theres a big yellow bin at the fork on the way in!

For an address, check out any backpackers. Most of them will hold mail for you if you ask nicely- some may charge a fee if you are not staying there. Working in insurance that was the only way most backpackers could sort themselves out- Put down the address of somewhere you will be in a week, call them and ask them to hold the mail then collect on your way through. Just dont tell the DOT that its a backpackers- only give your name and the address.

Enjoy those sand flies.
FollowupID: 409071

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 14:39

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 14:39
I use the Melbourne Post Office to get my mail sent to, because I can ring the manager on the 3rd or 4th of each month and have it all sent to me where-ever I will be the following week, it takes 4 or 5 days to get here, works well for me.

When I was in Cleaverville the couple of 44 gallon drum 'garbage bins' were emptied every now an then by the karratha council. Don't remember any yellow bin being at the fork in the road.

The river (creek) has some nice fish in it towards the mouth and the crabs, in season of course, are awesome in the bay.
FollowupID: 409097

Reply By: Bilbo - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 22:32

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 22:32
Princess Highway? In Perth?

I've lived here fer 30 years and that's a new one fer me.

We don't have a Princess Highway - unless ya count the streets in Northbridge when the Gay & Lesbian Parade is on ;)

AnswerID: 155026

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 23:06

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 23:06
umm I think he means like Highway 1, in Vic its the Princes Highway, and I guess it goes all around this place called Oz
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 408995

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 23:40

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 23:40
Bonz, yer got that right...

It goes all around Aussie, designated as Highway (1) but it's called the 'Brand' over here in places and the Princes Highway back in Berwick Vic, where I used to live before I saw the light and ventured West in '97.
FollowupID: 409007

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 00:14

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 00:14
In that case - it's Highway One.

"T'other siders" coming over 'ere renaming our streets! Bah

Typical Eastern Staters think THIER roads go all the way round "Oz"!!

Sheesh - WA pays fer everything in "Oz" and we can't even get naming rights!

Iron ore,

etc,etc,etc. ;)

FollowupID: 409011

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 01:58

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 01:58
You forgot NICKEL and once the Pollies over East get over themselves it sould also be Uranium, anyway if you are in Sa you can take the alternate highway1 - No fancy names like Damn good coast road or nothing just Alternate
FollowupID: 409020

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:42

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:42
And here al this time I though Highway 1 was called the Pacific Highway like it is on the East coast between Brissy and Syd???
FollowupID: 409055

Follow Up By: Sarg - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 22:23

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 22:23
you forgot to add
AND some of the countries best cricketers
FollowupID: 409184

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:53

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:53
Do you realise that if you reside in another state for more than 3 months & don't re-register your vehicle in that state, then you no CTP insurance cover, & probably no comprehensive cover either!
AnswerID: 155266

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 18:49

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 18:49
Shaker, yes that's true only if you do nothing about it :-)

I have the Insurance angle covered with my insurance company, and as I don't “appear” to have a permanent address in WA, I’m classified as a 'nomadic traveller' or ‘itinerant’ for the purposes of insurance.
Over here the insurance company I use only requires to know the post code to rate the risk.
FollowupID: 409386

Sponsored Links