Galaxy Caravan

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 07:53
ThreadID: 30797 Views:4287 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling around OZ for 6-9 months with 2 children under 6 yrs old.
We like the look of the Galaxy 21ft family van. It has shower and toilet, double bunks, oven, 150l fridge and annex.
Cost is $51000 on road
Can anyone tell me if this is a good caravan and would we have trouble selling it at the end of our trip? Is there much demand for this type of van?
Do vans de-value much in the first year (if they are in good condition)?

Thanks

TravellingBlooms
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 09:35

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 09:35
I would take this up with who ever you are buying the van off. Ask them on a re-sale option, and if you can get it on paper. Maybe not the re-sale amount but an undertaking that they purchase the van at the minium dollar value for its age and condition.
AnswerID: 155102

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 09:57

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 09:57
Only you can tell if it is a good van or not. What is finkish like, does every thing seem user friendly, what is the warranty like. Does the van meet the your intended travel requirements (eg. do you intend to go offroad?).

When we bought our first van, a Jayco Freedom, several years ago we knew nothing about caravans, except I'd been in one when I was a kid. On our first trip across the continent to Perth it did and prvided everything we wanted of it. As time went on we wanted it to do more and go to other places.

We're still very happy with the van. It had been places and done things a standard Jayco was never meant to do. I've had to refit cupboards, fitted extra equipment, etc. as our travel needs have changed.

Mind you at $51K it would want to be a good van ith all the bells and whistles!

Wizard
Gold Coast
AnswerID: 155109

Reply By: Peter - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:19

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:19
Going through the exact same thing myself at the moment. We are looking at purchasing the Roadstar version of the Galaxy (off road chassis, suspension, solar system etc). The internal layout of the vans is the best we've come across (we've been looking for over a year now). We just put a deposit down on the van because the prices just keep increasing (the price went up $2000 in the last 6 months and we've been informed they are rising another 5% in March). I think this style of van with the seperate shower and toilet are going to become more in demand. Have heard a lot of complaints from people about having to wipe down the toilet area each time someone has a shower. We intend keeping our van for many years so the price isn't too great an issue (we're trading in a 2000 Goldstorm).
Have seen the Galaxy in standard format at Brisbane RV for $44000, had some minor hail damage which we didn't notice until we read the sign advising us of it.
Have a look on rvpoint.com.au .
I'm interested in as to what vehicle you intend towing it with (that's my biggest concern, the weight of the van is 2300kg empty).
Good luck with it - would appreciate if you can keep me informed of how it all goes etc.
(BTW $51000 for a 21'6" van (that's the inside measurement outside it's 23') is not expensive nowadays)
AnswerID: 155116

Follow Up By: travellingblooms - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 12:28

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 12:28
Thanks for your reply

The Van we are purchasing has a separate shower and toilet, so we won't have any problems with a wet toilet.

We are towing the van with a 100 series landcruiser. We purchased a 98 model for $24000 and it is in really good condition. We chose this car because it has a towing capacity of up to 3.5 tonnes. Quite a few 4wds have a capacity of 2.5 tonnes. The Galaxy gross weight is 2.55 tonnes. Landcuiser has plenty of grunt and comfort for a long trip.

Our van also includes an annex, LCD TV, Oven, Large fridge, So I believe it is a good price. Just hope we have no trouble selling it after the trip as we would like to downgrade to a smaller van for the odd short trip throughout the year.

Regards
FollowupID: 409065

Follow Up By: Peter - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 14:10

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 14:10
Will be interesting to see how you feel about downsizing once you have spent so much time in the Galaxy. They're a great layout for kids (I have 2 grandkids and 2 more on the way), so the double bunks are a huge asset. When there's only the 2 of us the bunks can just fold up out of the way and the space can be used for other things. The thing that really sold me on the layout was the fact that there are 3 distinctly seperate areas, 1 up front for the bunks, shower and toilet, 1 for the kitchen/dinette, and 1 for the bedroom. No other van that I've seen offers these options.
I take it you vehicle is a diesel? I have a 2003 4.2TDi Nissan, not fast but I believe the power will be adequate (although no doubt there will be plenty of expert opinion on the subject).
Good luck with all, will keep an eye out on the road for ya!
FollowupID: 409090

Sponsored Links