buying new navara st-r single cab

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:37
ThreadID: 30829 Views:1873 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to puchase a new Navara ST-R Single Cab Chassis 3.0TD in WA.

I would appreciate any comments about getting the best price or any info regarding the vehicle/dealers.

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Slow Mower - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:01

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 11:01
Hey Steve. First and most important, REFUSE to pay dealer delivery fee. It is NOT a compulsory charge and in fact it amounts to a VERY expensive car wash. You will save yourself up to a couple of thousand dollars. Most dealers will delete this 'rip-off' fee if and when confronted regarding it's validity. If they claim that it is to enable them to check your vehicle before delivery, tell them that they must sell you a product that is (a) roadworthy, ((b) complies with ADR and IF any problems should arise, then you will claim them under warranty. Remeber YOU are doing them a favour by approaching them to purchase a vehicle. YOU don't owe them ANYTHING. Then negotiate the best price particularly on your trade-in. Go to several dealers and play one against the other. DON'T be in a hurry to make a decision. DON'T be pressured by the salesman that the deal will only last for today, or if he has to go any lower it will cost him his job, or they are selling to you below cost as it is. New vehicke sales, particularly 4 wheel drives and 6 cylinder cars are VERY slow and delaers WILL offer you anything to get YOUR money. Remember, it is YOUR money and YOU choose where and when to spend it. YOU call the shots. Buy with your head NOT your heart. Don't be afraid to turn and walk out of the dealership. There are plenty of other fish in the sea. Good luck.
AnswerID: 155317

Reply By: MATT.D(WA) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 15:07

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 15:07
Steve,

I went through the same thing back in late August last year when I purchased a dual cab ST-R. Went to Morley Nissan and got some sales manager who gave me the spiel(spelling) about why he is the top salesman in WA. Walked out of there after they offered bugger all for my trade and insisted that I sign up there and then.

I ended up going to Total Nissan in Cannington and buying from there. The salesman was great as he didn't try to push anything on me and he just sat and answered questions. When it came time to wheel and deal his attitude stayed the same and we worked out the trade-in price and purchase price on a scrap bit of paper first, shook hands on it then did the official paperwork. Most places you go to want you to sign the offer and acceptance first then take it to be approved, which usually isn't, then you go through the process again.

I would highly recommend Total Nissan and ask for Jeff Turner as he was fantastic to deal with.

By the way very happy with the car and can't fault it.

Cheers Matt.
AnswerID: 155366

Reply By: Member - TonyG (Qld) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 16:03

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 16:03
Hi Steve,

I found the best way to do it is as follows:

- Write up a fax requesting a quote, and clearly state reqirements
- At top of fax, in big letters, write "Quotation request"
- If you have a ABN, then show that number on top of fax
- If you have an ABN, you will be able to get a fleet discount of up to $4-5K
- If you do not have an ABN, find a mate who has, and use his number. You negotiate with his number, then purchase in your name.
- Send out to as many dealers as you require.
- When quotes come back, start telling all dealers that your cheapest quote is about $2,000 below the cheapest, as a way of trying to get them to lower price even further.
- After you have cheapest prices, then introduce trade in
- They will only offer you wholesale trade in value only, but at least you know what the true numbers are.
- If you have a trade in, you might find you can sell privately at still higher price than the dealer will offer you wholesale.

When I purchased my ST-R, I got about a $6K fleet discount by playing the games mentioned above.

Hope all goes well with the new purchase.

TonyG
AnswerID: 155374

Reply By: macca172 - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 05:44

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 05:44
Steve,

Just as a matter of interest, what is the best price on road that you have been offered in WA? I just got back from Tasmania yesterday(I'm from Sydney) and they are advertising turbo diesel ST-R's drive away to ABN holders, in Hobart for $38,990.

Macca
AnswerID: 156182

Follow Up By: Steve M - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 20:17

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 20:17
Macca

Nissan are currently running an ABN discount deal which is seems to be the same as the fleet discount. It is about 6K off the list price, then you start negotiating. If you dont have one borrow a mates as you can still register the vehicle in a private name (or for about $150 start a business).

I managed to get a 2005 compliance Navara D22 ST-R single cab for $32K driveaway except for the tray (H/D steel $2255 extra). I got them to chuck in a Nissan reece hitch tow bar, headlight protectors, weathershields and a dash mat. I think got a pretty good deal but who knows?

I think I would have got the 2006 for around $33,500 and probably an extra $2-3K or so for the dual cab.

Steve

FollowupID: 410400

Reply By: macca172 - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 19:30

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 19:30
Steve,

Thanks for the info and tips! Im currently roaming the Nissan dealers over here to see what they are offering!

Regards,

Macca
AnswerID: 156724

Sponsored Links