How Regular do you service your Winch

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 22:10
ThreadID: 30855 Views:2198 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
How often do you service your winch, even minor? or in that cases, when you have not used it, how regularly do you wind it in and out to make sure it works?

I would consider regualr maintanence, cleaning it, checking it after water crossings (or covering it if deep), WD40 before and after water crossings, mud days and beach work, hose down after these days and make sure i use it to wind the cable in and out at least once a month.

Ads

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul T- Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 22:18

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 22:18
Crazie

Sorry mate I misread your question, I thought it read "how often do you service your wench, even minor" and got lost in thoughts of yesteryear.

In answer to your real question I service my winch once after every big trip which works out to around once per year. I run the wire rope out and run it back in with a rag(s) soaked in wire rope grease wrapped around the wire.

I give the winch a full service once every two years approx depending upon the environment it has been in.

The 'wench' reckons all my services are minor.

Girls please don't take offence.

Cheers

PT
AnswerID: 155454

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 22:19

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 22:19
Haha still laughing
FollowupID: 409420

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 22:21

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 22:21
Crazie.
Water is the main winch killer. If you dunk it you should at least drain the oil out to check for water inside. washing a winch with a pressure hose is about the worst thing you can do. It is not necessary to unwind the cable, you can run the motor with the dog clutch open to ensure the gears have oil on them but normal driving splashes the oil around very well. Eric.
AnswerID: 155456

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 00:41

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 00:41
I was taught if you dunk them to give them a good work out such as tow the car in gear etc to get the heat up and evaporate the water. Testing the winch was part of the prestart we had to do
FollowupID: 409442

Reply By: Haza - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 22:34

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 22:34
Run it out twice after a trip up the high country once on leaving the hills and then within a day or two on getting home, also app once a month aswell. Had it 12 months now and no problems YET. Contemplating on taking it to SG Leslie and getting them to add some improvements, also postive pressurise it using a air pump, any thoughts? It be a pain to remove and give it a internal clean regulary(the winch).
Always test it before each trip and make sure I've packed the controller.
AnswerID: 155462

Follow Up By: Leroy - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 22:56

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 22:56
your controller shouldn't leave the car!

Leroy
FollowupID: 409427

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 23:23

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 23:23
I asked the same question some time ago, and did not really get a strong result one way or the other. Seems that not many of us really service the winch. Have had mine for almost 5 years. Have been told that regular running of the motor is the best insurance as it keeps all the moving parts lubricated and gets rid of any water. I asked my 4WD store (who I dont use any more - thats another story) and they seemed not interested in stripping it down. I cannot be bothered doing it myself - if anyone knows someone in Perth who will strip a Warn down and service it lets have their name and contact details
AnswerID: 155472

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 23:26

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 23:26
Winch is 5 years old, never been maintained & freewheels like new despite being submersed in mud & rivers regually. Only thing I do is power the cable out 5m & back in prior to every trip (15 times a year) to ensure it works & go over it with the preasure wash after. Probably should pull it down soon & give it a regrease. (but probably wont ;-)
Cheers Craig.........
Ramsey 9500lb Electric.
AnswerID: 155473

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 01:26

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 01:26
Did a detailed response to this some time ago. Published the info I had on reassembling the brake on an XD series Warn (& others) on my website for a few people.

There are lots of things that will cause a failure and the drain holes in the motor end castings on the Warns aren't located for perpendicular mounting and should be plugged. The pressure earthing of the brush carrier ring is prone to failure with only a small amount of oxidization and should be modified by drilling and tapping the housing to screw it on.

This and several other things like specific grease types are in the doc on my web site.

As for how often I service mine, it's at least annually and when it's been underwater (which is probably more than annually)

It's a dangerous piece of equipment to neglect. You wouldn't leave it 5 years between checking your brake pads/shoes. That cable and the reliability of the winch particularly in steep terrain is all that is holding you away from a potentially life threatening disaster.

If you aren't going to maintain a winch you probably should reconsider why you own one.

Dave
AnswerID: 155481

Reply By: glenno(qld) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:18

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:18
I have a Warn 8274 himount and every week i attach the hand controller and wind the cable out as far as the controller cable and back in again a few times . Every now and then i take the end cover off the motor and spray crc in there and everywhere else . Every year i take the winch off and pull it apart and change the oil . It is quite easy to do with a hi mount . Take a look at this , its an old winch but the new ones are basically the same .
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/8274/
AnswerID: 155505

Reply By: Otherwise - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:30

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:30
Once a month I roll out the cable and back in again....if I remember. Which reminds me......................
AnswerID: 155508

Sponsored Links