Dual battery systems

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 25, 2003 at 15:17
ThreadID: 3086 Views:2174 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Yet more dual battery questions.
Has anyone had OR used the "SMART DUAL 12V BATTERY CONTROLLER" available from JAYCAR and Tricky Smith. Both units seem to be the same.
Can a starter motor 'solenoid' be used to connect 2 batteries together. Not sure how much current these things draw, or if they can be energised continuously.

Regards
Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 10:05

Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 10:05
The Dick Smith and Jaycar units are identical in design. They work well and will not produce any dangerous electrical spikes. They do not have the voltage control features of the Redarc, and only act as a continuous duty solenoid.

On a value for money basis and features of the Jaycar/DSE kit, the Redarc unit is substantially better value for the dollar for $110 built and tested.
http://www.redarc.com.au/sbi.htm
Where you can use the Jaycar/DSE kit effectively is if you build a full dual battery isolation system. Personally I would not use the Jaycar/DSE kit over a Redarc unit.

A stater motor solenoid is not a continuous duty solenoid, so it cannot be used. If you have a modern vehicle bristling with fuel electronics stay well away from continuous duty solenoids. Motor vehicle companies love them for the sales they generate of very expensive spare parts.
AnswerID: 11868

Follow Up By: Justin - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 00:41

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 00:41
OzExplorer, prior to reading the reponses to dual battery systems on exploreoz I purchased a smart battery system from jaycar because the price was right. I spent about 3 hours soldering it up and testing it has proven that one of the components is faulty. I agree that the redarc is superior for my purpose in an 80 series diesel as you can join the batteries together for winching etc and is alot simpler. I am keen to buy a redarc system and I assume the $110 does not include cables? What size cables would you recommend and where to buy them from, I am in Brisbane. I was planning on buying a fibreglass battery tray from a company in brisbane for about $75, do you think this is a fair price and fibregass is the way to go? The jaycar LCD voltage, temperature and clock gauge seems a great product for 4wd's, however I cannot find the product on the web, but I can find the cheaper product without the temp gauges - I guess I will call them.
FollowupID: 6796

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 10:10

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 10:10
Justin I have not seen fibreglass battery trays. If they are designed properly, no reason why they should not stand up. It would want to be strong to take the thumping a battery would give it.Check the warranty conditions.
The Redarc is available from Ashdown in Brisbane and is actually slightly cheaper incl GST than $110. They had them on special a couple of months ago for $85+GST=$93.50.
No, they don't include cables. You would need battery cables if you intend to use the Redarc with the ability to switch in your second battery for winching or as an emergency starter battery. 2BS would be the minimum size. Make sure you get properly crimped cables.
Justin with the features of the Redarc unit, I would recomend it to everybody in prefrence to the DSE/Jaycar kit. The voltage control features make it well worth the extra money, and the ability to switch in so easily the second battery, especially considering it is assembled and tested with a warranty.

Go to www.jaycar.com.au
then at the top left hand side
third search box down, enter
XC0116 and then press the little Yellow GO button. It should pop-up at you.
FollowupID: 6801

Sponsored Links