sandhills in robe

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 25, 2003 at 15:52
ThreadID: 3087 Views:2361 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
how difficult is the driving over the sandhills as i have heard its quite hard just going solo on this one .also are there any easier tracks as i have 2 little ones on board .ive been 2 fowlers 3 times so have some exp in soft sand driving. how does the dunes and beaches in these 2 areas compare .lastly whats robe caravan park like? thanks dc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Russ - Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 00:33

Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 00:33
DC,
We were in the are at Easter 2002. Stayed at the Beachport Caravan Pk out the back, it was pretty good, top facilities, cant tell u about the Robe CVPk sorry.
Drove from Carpenters Rocks to BeachPort then toward Robe. From Beachport to Robe probably not advisable to be on your own. Best if you can obtain some local knowledge around the time you attend.
May be contact NPWS.
THere was quite a group of us and we did the odd recovery. Some top driving in Canunda NP (couple of big hills) and a big one about 7 km out of Beachport. Conditions will vary depending on time of year, weather conditions.
May be able to dig up some GPS points if u r interested. We had a ball & hope you do too. Not able to give you a comparo on fowlers.

Russ
AnswerID: 11862

Reply By: David - Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 09:57

Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 09:57
First things first. There are about 4 caravan parks in Robe all seem to be excellent and I would say better than the ones at beachport. I was at beachport at Christmas but camped in the Beachport National park on the banks of LAke George at Rooney point. Beeeutifull!

If at Robe I stay in the Long Beach CP as it is right opposite one of the best and safest beaches in Australia especially for the kids as it goes out a long way before it gets over your knees.

As far as 4wd goes. From robe there are a lot of tracks through the more vegeitated areas and this is easy 4wding and could be done in 2wd. Beware of the beaches though. In one bay the sand will be hard and in the next bay you will bog to the axles. I always watch to see what is happening with other vehicles. I wouyld rather help recover someone else than get stuck myself.

The best4wding is 10km south. Drive to Nora Crienna go through the gate, past the shacks and down onto Stinky Bay(yes it is) beach. This is a hard beach all the way around and eventually leads you to some beutifull dunes. When you get on top of what is called the 9 mile drift all you can see is sand glorius sand. There are plenty of choices now to get to Beachport. Up/down the big dunes, smaller ones or just follow the low trck winding in and out. It is as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. No problems on your own but a flag is a must. Allow almost a full day even though it is only 40km because you won't want to stop playing once you are there. There will be always someone around if you get stuck hence the need for the flag.
AnswerID: 11867

Reply By: Member - Willem- Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 12:11

Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 12:11
The sand driving on the beach south of Robe in Little Dip Cons Park can be very dicey at times. As said before, some beaches are hard and some are soft and there are a few bad spots for windblows but nothing that an exprienced driver can't handle solo. We did this drive solo in 3rd gear low range with the 750x16 tyres down to 15 psi and did not get bogged. Stayed close to the dunes on the beach and never had a problem. Stopped in a few places to savour the crystal clear waters. Out of Beachport these are some fun tracks and dunes to play on and normally there is plenty of help around if you run into trouble. Just take care and have fun. Cheers, W
AnswerID: 11872

Sponsored Links