Anyone in Clifton Sth Qld?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 17:31
ThreadID: 30880 Views:2153 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
World record 100m road-train set to roll
February 17, 2006 - 3:43PM

The world's longest ever road-train is revved up and ready to roll into the record books.

The motorised monster will rumble down the highway outside the tiny Darling Downs town of Clifton in southern Queensland tomorrow, a place in the Guinness Book of Records firmly in its giant sights.

To succeed, Brisbane truck driver John Atkinson must use a single prime mover to pull 120 trailers measuring 1,700 metres in length - that's more than 16 football fields - 100 metres down the road.

Organiser Mick Boyce says spectators are expected to double Clifton's usual population of 600 and cheer on the world record attempt.

"It's taken a while to get it all together but we've had great support from everyone," he said today.

"The police, Main Roads and Clifton Shire are helping us close down a two kilometre stretch of road from 6am and Chris Sheedy from the Guinness Book of Records will be there to hopefully see us do it."

The Queensland attempt has to beat the current world record of 1,445 metres, set by Doug Gould in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia.

"There's 15 of them flying over from WA and they reckon they are going to sabotage our attempt," joked Mr Boyce.

"It's a friendly rivalry really and we even have eight people coming from New Zealand, just out of interest.

"We're looking forward to it but the weather could be a factor. We've had two inches of rain here in the last 24 hours and that is making things difficult.

"We will only be going first gear, so it will only be a couple of kilometres an hour."

The record attempt, which is raising money for cancer sufferers in rural areas, takes place at midday.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 18:10

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 18:10
It's a pity people have to bastardise things just to get in the record books.

There is a shop in the Todd Mall in Alice Springs that has photographs and other informative paraphernalia of real Road Trains travelling across Australia and the types and number of carriages/trailers they have hauled.

Worth a look if you are travelling through sometime.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 155607

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 20:46

Friday, Feb 17, 2006 at 20:46
That wont stand long Doug has had his record broken before so all he did was get a few extra trailors and reclaimed it like he will again if it is broken. There are that many road trains getting around locally and no shortage of private roads it doesnt take him long to knock of these wannabes
AnswerID: 155636

Sponsored Links