Warm in Alice Springs

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 15:08
ThreadID: 30927 Views:1793 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Gady all,have made it to Alice Springs so far with nearly everything going to plan.Friday morning turned out to be a bit hot,45 deg then clouded over and poured for 20 min,coooled it down nicely.Have to be in Kununurrra in two weeks and may be stuck here due to repairs to Cruiser(fuel pump out for second time in a month).
Went down to Rainbow Valley yesterday,man the flys nearly ate you alive.Beautiful spot.Would love to see it flooded there.
Very different up through the centre in the summer with patches of lush green grass for 50 odd kms then bare dust for next 500kms then another patch of green grass.
Better head of and have another swim(nearly 4hrs each day) and catch you all in a feew weeks.

If any one is looking for one of the best parks to stay in in Australia,then I can reccomend the Mcdonnell Range Park,fantastic.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy - Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 16:47

Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 16:47
Gday Nick,
If your looking for somewhere to go close to Alice where there is water, Boggy Hole ( in the Finke George National park) apparently got some rain the other day and is quite swimable. I havent been out there for a couple of months but the word is the Finke flowed in and flushed it out. Ask at the Mcdonnell Range park for a map. Everything else around here is pretty dry or stagnant. Also the weather has been like this since before christmas so get used of it , I cant see it cooling down for a while either.
Cheers, Have a good stay
AnswerID: 155859

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 17:15

Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 17:15
What about Emily Gap for a cool off or isn't it full of water?
FollowupID: 409830

Follow Up By: Hairy - Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 18:22

Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 18:22
Havent looked recently but its usually full of crap!!!! Nappies, bottles, cans etc. its too close to the road and our indigenous friends use it like a dump.
Ellery Creek Big hole would probably be alright (out on the way to Glen Helen) but its pretty touristy ( coaches and tour companies etc).
Just North of town there is Wiggleys waterhole and the Junction etc which would be worth a look, see them at the caravan park and im sure they will draw you a map.
Most of our local waterholes havent had a good flush out for a long time so even if there is water in them it can be pretty dirty.
FollowupID: 409838

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 19:10

Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 19:10
Indeed re the heat - locals told me its been a record summer up there - they have had it - was on the ABC too - 35 days in a row I think of 36 + - 14 days or so in a row over 41............ but you knew it was going to be hot anyway !:-) ......re that caravan park - agreed - its tops.
AnswerID: 155879

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 20:59

Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 20:59
Hi Nick,

Great to hear all is going well, except for the fuel pump of course. I take it the Tambo is going well? Looking forward to meeting you in person in July.

Take care and good travels.

Cheers

Glenn
AnswerID: 155894

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 17:03

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 17:03
Gday Glen,best thing we've done was buy the camper,tows great,set up and pack aways couldnt be easier,just need good a/c in them lol.
Looks llike the pump will stay in until we get to Kununurra then pump and injectors will be checked out..SO if anyone see's a smoky 100 series between Alice and Kununurra via Katherine its ME!!!
FollowupID: 410029

Sponsored Links