Goodyear MTR first decent hitout

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 18:48
ThreadID: 30933 Views:2030 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Decided to check out some tracks S/W of Coolgardie this weekend so i picked up a mate and headed out. first Stop was Bulla Bulling where I enjoyed a coupl of coldies and checked out one of the regulars immaculate HQ Statesman. It was then onto Woolgangie where we left the bitumen heading SW to Yerdanie rock. After this the track slowly deteriated until we couldnt find it so we retreated to the Rock and camped. Next day we took another track South of Woolgangie and tried to find a track into Nalerine rock. Here things got rugged and I managed to rip out the ariel lead to the HF, tear out the wiring for the speedo, shred my blue canvas awning before being beaten back by the bush. When we returned to the track we found one of the MTR was having air issues. the problem was the age old problem with radials in that they have vulnrable sidewalls. The tread seemed to stand up well with me digging out as much as I could some large stakes that hadnt made it through but the hole was in the sidewall. I had some recent tuition from Phil G in worm patches so i was quickly on my way (well it would have been quick if I had a good compressor).
The trip back took in some of the Golden pipeline trail which ended a nice trip.
I am fairly happy with other aspects of the MTR but I will be going back to crossplys for the bushwork as I dont need the greif of staking close to 300dollar tyres and being left with enough wood in them to start a fire considering that these are also my highway tyres
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Troo Bloo - Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 19:03

Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 19:03
You sound like you know this area well! do you know where the turn off to cave hill is on the road to esperance from kal? how far past widgiemooltha? can you get there from burra rock? is it worth the drive?
AnswerID: 155877

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 19:15

Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 19:15
There are at least 4 ways into cave hill. One way is from burra rocks there is now a 2wd road (bloody sacralidge) or you can still take the woodline track (both are sighn posted) another is from Widgie (again bloody hyundai rd) just drive past the servo and the original way off the highway is past Higgansville which is about 10k sth of the Redross minesite sighn just Nth of where the railway crosses the highway. some of these routes are well described in the Holland track and cave hill woodline books as well as 4wd days in the Eastern goldfields which are available at this site or at most kalgoorlie newsagents
FollowupID: 409846

Reply By: desert - Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 21:35

Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 21:35
Davoe, do you think that the side-biter blocks on the MTR afford any extra protection to the shoulder area in regards to staking? I had considered them for cross-country driving for this reason. Would you be comfortable running them, say cross-country in timber country like the Great Victoria desert etc??
AnswerID: 155899

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 21:55

Sunday, Feb 19, 2006 at 21:55
No not at all. Mine was speared through the side biter blocks. What really made me realize that there was no comparison for cross country work between them and cross plys was how easily the rasp goes through the sidewall . You would probably bust the rasp before it went through 6 pys of sidewall. I have sat there with a hammer trying to hammer a small screwdriver through a crossply to dig out wood to no avail. It is cheaper to buy split rims and rags than MTR alone . for cross country work that is the only way
FollowupID: 409873

Follow Up By: desert - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 08:02

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 08:02
I suspected as much. I have not had anything to do with cross-plys since the bad old days of the 70's, when about all you could buy were 750x16 rags. Is there something more modern in bias or cross that will fit on a 7x16 tubeless rim? I like the convenience of repair of the tubeless tyre and I need the wide profile for floatation.
FollowupID: 409894

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 10:55

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 10:55
Nope AFAIK not much has changed. even if you could get one to run tuebless on a one piece I dont think you would get the repair gear into them. 7.5x16 will give you enough flotation. I have used them on the beach and seen others doing so as well
FollowupID: 409921

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 22:17

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 22:17
Hi Davoe,

Pity about the flat, but glad to see you used the plugs.

What pressures were you running?

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 156139

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 19:19

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 19:19
Sorry only just found your reply as i Was at home when I typed the Comment and the notifications go to my work Computer.
I was running 38 PSI which was still below what we would run for Crosscountry work when working Exploration to protect the sidewalls but in future Iwill try lower pressure and keep it to the track. Despite the flat they probably stood up fairly well as we were trying to reach a rock and ended up in some pretty nasty bush. The tread area of the MTR were well protected with somre pretty awesome stakes that didnt make it through. I always reckon the toughness of a tyre can be judged on how hard it is to get the stakes out (hard to get in hard to get out) and while I dug out as much as i could i still left a fair bit behind.
Thinking I will probably leave the real exploration for work vehicles and leave the MTR on for now as it is becoming darn expensive and time consuming fixing stuff that gets ripped off.
I will be heading out to Neale Junction around the middle of the year to meet my Sister taking the Anne Beadell accross from SA. I will also be taking a trip to the Murchison and pilbarra in a couple of months which was the main reason I got the MTR as i wouldnt have trusted the Toyos and my bush tyres are looking very 2nd hand
FollowupID: 411603

Sponsored Links