Wandin Show Modcon

Submitted: Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 15:38
ThreadID: 30961 Views:4721 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I was visiting Victoria from Qld family and was pleased to learn brother-in-law was going to Wandin 4X4 Show. I was blown away, really good show great range of relevant stuff unlike some of the shows I've seen.

The Land Rover Owners run show and they ought to be congratulated.

I couldn't believe my luck, a camper I'd seen a little at a Qld show was there called ModCon. It's a hard floor and the one l've seen at home. Had a close look and am now convinced that this one is for me. Finish is really good and unlike the Kimberley, the ball weight is only 50kg.

Any thoughts guys.

Ron
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robbo3 - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 16:00

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 16:00
Yeh good show only third time I've been. Funny about your posting I was walking around mumbling that there is nothing different when I saw Southern Cross with a new camper Bush something which looked OK but too dear.

I then saw another mob nearby with a fibreglass camper with a protective hard lid which I liked. Next to this camper was the one Mod Con you are talking about. The display was around $20k which is way under say Pioneer (looked very similar in quality)

Mate IMO go for it, not sure who was selling it but I guess you'll buy when you get home.

Robbo
AnswerID: 156009

Follow Up By: Grif - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 16:07

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 16:07
Robbo

It was at Tambo Campers in case you need to know. I remember this as I got talking to the guy about origins of name as I have family in Tambo area in Qld.

Agree fibreglass one was really swish but the better half wants a hard floor.

The Modcon factory is in Capalaba not too far from me in Slacks Creek.

Thanks for your opinion.

Grif
FollowupID: 409999

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 21:53

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 21:53
The price of the Modcon seems cheap to begin with but by the time you add the bits you soon get to $25000 and virtually directly comparable with Pioneer Argyle.

When comparing to the Pioneer -
I like the fact that the canvas is vertical at the ends where the pioneer is sloped quite a bit. The Modcon is therefore roomier.
The pioneer has a stainless kitchen and much better kitchen slides and doesn't need a support leg like the Modcon, but the modcon has a griller in the stove.

The Modcon powder coating was already coming off the kitchen slide.

I think the Pioneer has much better suspension.

The Modcon is quite heavy and wide, so not really suited to mid size 4wd - width 1800, Pioneer is 1700. It's best for a full size 4wd.

I believe Modcon is planning a slightly smaller one because of the above.
AnswerID: 156131

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 19:02

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 19:02
$25,000 for a canvas tent on a trailer come on you guys obviously have too much money.
may as well stay 5 star all around australia!

under 15 K maybe but what are you really buying sorry too much wank factor here

do yourself a favour and get a TAMBO or Dingo (apart fom attitud dramas!) and use the money for fuel big deal about ball weight as this is all about load balance and different vehicles anyway.

(off soap box ) just bleep to miss out on Wandin and EO members

cheers

oh yeah house a few weeks off now
AnswerID: 156303

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:15

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 21:15
Toonie,

You are going to get a big can of whip-ass opened on you saying shait like that around here. Can't understand it myself either. Check out my rig specs. Mowling Hoon up top, top of the range off road gear trailer behind (O'Briens) and an OZ Tent for the kids, $7K all up. Am I missing something?

Camper Trailers are the 2nd biggest con in the business after dual battery systems.
FollowupID: 410416

Follow Up By: Grif - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:02

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:02
I used to agree with you about camper trailers, but my new partner tried camping in tents late last year and just refuses to go.

Cheaper for me to buy a camper ($18,000 Modcon actually) than look for a new partner!!!

Last month borrowed a mates Odesy and she loved the experience, so we're getting equipped in next few months.

Each to their own.

Grif
FollowupID: 410493

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:10

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:10
Well, since you put it that way!!! At the risk of getting into further strife, it's worth considering bypassing camper trailers and looking at campervans for even more comfort and convenience. They IMHO are better value for money.
FollowupID: 410504

Sponsored Links