4 runner Bonnet Scoop 2.4 TD - Yes or No

Submitted: Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 16:26
ThreadID: 30967 Views:1741 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Me again,

I've got a 2.4 TD surf motor in an SR5 without bonnet scoop.

Are there any advantages in going to the trouble of putting a bonnet scoop in to allow air flow onto the turbine.

If Yes, I'm not paying $130 for a patrol bonnet scoop although I love the slim line look of them.

Would like to hear the thoughts of those with any experience.

What benefits can I expect to get & does anyone have a second hand patrol bonnet scoop for sale. Depending on the positives I maight try wreckers.

Adam (VICTORIA - Metro Melb)
Adam
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TP M (SA) - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 22:34

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 22:34
Hi Adam,

It may keep the engine bay cooler which is better on batteries/engine etc. Not sure if the scoop would affect flow through the radiator ( through turbulence ? it may increase it ? )
I had the GS scoops on a V8 77 fairmont years ago. It sure did help alot of dust and water get into the engine bay and that was driving on sealed roads. I dont know how much dust/mud the patrol ones collect into their intercoolers or if they are filtered to keep the intercooler radiator clean?

If its just for looks its probaly not worth the trouble. You could always save up your cash and fit an intercooler and scoop, at least you would see the benefits of the money spent. The turbo ( already installed ) is the expensive part.
AnswerID: 156145

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 10:02

Tuesday, Feb 21, 2006 at 10:02
Adam

I don't think it'll do much unless you also put in an intercooler.

R.
AnswerID: 156207

Sponsored Links