ExplorOz Radio Callsigns -Post 30918

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 00:48
ThreadID: 31028 Views:1923 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Evening All,
Thanks to all for giving my idea about radio callsigns a fair hearing and to ExplorOz for encouragement to run with it. See posts 30918 & 30973 for discussion of the topic so far.
When I proposed the idea I had recently listened to some ACRO members who were discussing a topic in the evening when most of the fools who abuse the system had gone away. The ACRO people were having the same type and quality of conversation we have thro this forum. They also all had numbers and when I came up they explained that they use 'ACRO' and an allocated # so the idea grew in my mind to suggest it that way as I thought it was the norm.
I can't see why our screen names would not be just as good and if it saves David work well and good. Or a number could be allocated; either way I'd be happy.
I have to admit I did not think to include HF as I thought most people who use it would be with VKS (who also use VKS and a number by the way) but why not HF if it is workable?
Of course with VHF we will only be able to talk locally but that's better than nothing. If we use an allocated time and particular evening (or evenings) anyone can call for who might be listening and a conversation begin. Then anyone can join in and those who don't know about ExplorOz can be directed to the website. It wont be long before we will recognise the voices of regulars and if we were visiting interstate or an area where we suspected there might be other forumites we could tune in at the arranged time and come up if there is activity. Tonite the ACRO people were all discussing the merits of antenna types each learning from the other as we do on the forum.

Channel 10 or 18 look like goers as the channels we use, considering that ExplorOz is for campers, caravanners and 4wding. If we scan these at other times we may also hear a call.

Well I guess the best way to try an idea is to suck it and see.
So if it's OK with everyone, seeing as I was the goose who suggested the gig I'll start the ball rolling in SA by coming on air on Ch10 at 6.00pm next Wed (tomorrow) and Sunday , using "ExplorOz Camper" as my callsign and we'll see how we go and modify it as we need to. I'll post to let you know how we went.

Thanks again to all for a fair assessment of the idea.

Cheers,
"ExplorOzCamper"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JJ - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:07

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:07
I suggested using 'screen' names as callsigns (with ExplorOx prefix of course) so that with any contact made, one can associate the name with the forum topics,
as over the time, I have noticed a few rather rude and uncalled for followups...
so by using screen names, if one member (or visitor) has a grudge against another, they can ignore the UHF contact, or meet and make amends!
Could be embarrassing to get friendly with just another 'ExplorOz #' to find it was the person you'd exchanged unkind words with!
Could make for some interesting friendships too.
And likewise, I agree Channel 10, as a David (EO) suggested in the first place, and Channel 18 would both be good, possibly picking up new members from both 4bs & Cvrs.
As I mentioned before, if there is an unofficial 'ExplorOz' call-in time on those channels during lunch hours and evenings would be the best time to catch anyone within cooee.
Maybe David could make up a little box on home page sidelines with all info, similar to the comp. page?
(sorry, not up with all the puter lingo!)
cheers big ears!
AnswerID: 156438

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 12:25

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 12:25
Yep - will monitor progress - Re HF as in VKS737 - there are options for callsigns that can be negotiated and gazetted by the network committee, but farasiknow in all cases the personal part must be preceeded by "VKS737-mobile" (as vks737-mobile-sierra586)- and there is an ExplorER section too at VKS737 already - (vks737-explorer5) - potential for confusion. Anyway, although there are regs for CB, anything sensible can survive for years - we could use it too for the CB - HF (27 megs).
AnswerID: 156460

Sponsored Links