Internet when travelling

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:34
ThreadID: 31031 Views:1847 Replies:11 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All just a quick question you may be able to help me with.

I have noticed that a lot of you carry laptops for mapping, do you also utilise it for getting on line?

What is the most popular and cost effective method of getting on line and checking emails, banking etc when travelling?

Thanks,

Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ray Bates - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:54

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 08:54
Go to an internet cafe. Try not to use your mobile with your laptop. It is very expencive
AnswerID: 156425

Follow Up By: JJ - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:50

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:50
NEVER use Internet Cafe' for on-line banking unless you have your own laptop. Your bank wuold have advised you on that.

I use my iBook but I need ISDN connection & not all I'net C's have this, so to be on the safe side, we have our son do all our banking at home. He emails us all a/c balances etc. every so often and we send him lists of transactions to be checked against statements.
And our CreditCard gets a flogging with fuel, c/parks etc, while we get cashout on eftpos when food shopping...
And the Q was? Oops.
Hope this helps a bit.
FollowupID: 410519

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 12:45

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 12:45
That is a bit dramatic ...

clearly many people are uncomfortable about using Internet banking at Internet cafes, but:

banks DO NOT advise not to use Internet Cafes, to my knowledge. That said, a number of the bank solutions (eg. St George) require a Java download, so they may not work on Internet cafes.

If you know a little about how https works and your bank has technology that allows it to happen you can use it safely.

Here's what the Commonwealth Bank say:

Be careful about using NetBank from other PCs, such as those at some Internet Cafe's, which may not have up to date virus protection installed. If you want additional protection when using unfamiliar computers, set up an additional login with restricted access. You can set up and change Additional Logins under the Admin & Services tab.
Make sure your online session is secure by checking:
- that https:// is displayed on your browsers address bar
- a padlock is displayed in the bottom right hand corner of your browser
- a valid digital certificate has been issued to the site you are visiting

When performing financial transactions online, never leave your computer unattended while the session is still active.
Select Exit NetBank when you are finished using NetBank. Exit NetBank if you leave your computer unattended, to avoid others accessing your account details.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 410531

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 16:40

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 16:40
I think the main concern for net cafe computers is keyloggers (records every keyboard stroke you make) these will grab your bank's name, login and password without you ever knowing.
The most secure way of banking on pubilc computers is to use a bank that either: has tokens which will generate a code you need to put in when you login (like bendigo) or to click a number pad on the screen so you dont physically type your code into the keyboard (like ING, ANZ).
At the end of the day, ANYONE can come through even a week later and open up the computer's internet history and see the pages you went to, which will contain your bank name, account numbers and balances- be aware of this.
FollowupID: 410573

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:40

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:40
I get $3/month unlimited send/receive emails with the 3 network, you must have a mobile account with them, send emails from the phone or from the phone manager on the laptop.
AnswerID: 156433

Reply By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:27

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:27
Hi Matt,

I use a "Maxon Mini Max", check out Telstra Mobility data (www.telstramobility.com) for the full info. Works on the CDMA network. $49 per month for 20 hrs internet access. Not cheap but depends how accessable you want to be.

John
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 156440

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:02

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:02
As long as you have a webmail account, just go to the local library - they are all into internet access - used one at Birdsville even - very cheap. I work with puters all day so I don't want one at the campsite anyway.
AnswerID: 156445

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:33

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:33
If I may sneak in a supplementary question here on this matter .....

My wife and I are also heading off in a mattter of weeks and had the same Internet/email thoughts.

We had planned to do "Travel Diaries" as we went and email these to our friends and family.

My question is:
Can you input your own data at Internet cafes, or are they a bit worried about the introduction of viruses etc into their systems from users? I am not wanting to re-invent the wheel (or the email) everytime I get online as I travel. I have one of those memory stick things that allows me to store text files etc on, and was hoping I could just drag up my stuff from there to send to others.

Thanks ...

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 156451

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:50

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:50
HiJack,

We used Telecentres in WA and they did allow the use of memory pens so this allowed us to create emails on the lappie and save it to the pen for sending when in town. Cost were never much, around $5 and we did our banking and checked on our home email account as well. We also saved our photos to the lappie so this and the diary allowed us to store and keep up to date our travels. Was simple to create an email to friends from this info. The only issue is to maintain the diary on a regular basis - a bit hard when the fish are biting.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 410518

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 12:47

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 12:47
Telecentres are great, and even free in places, although sometimes you will have to wait or make a booking. Some are even fast - they seem to use the Telstra Broadband Satellite service mostly.

Memory sticks will work one way or another at most Internet cafes. Sometimes you have to pay for the staff to load it for you.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 410532

Follow Up By: Jeepster-WA - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 14:38

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 14:38
I agree with the telecentre, such as the one I am using now in Waratah Tasmania. It is federally funded and only $2 hour. Plenty time to check banking and emails and even get on to this site.

Cheers

Jeepster
FollowupID: 410551

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 14:01

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 14:01
I hook up my CDMA to my laptop with a cable . It works well , but I am not sure how much it costs me everytime . I have the newish fast data download system that Telstra introduced for CDMA . I am prepaid with Telstra .
Cheers .
AnswerID: 156474

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 14:10

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 14:10
We needed internet access while we were away at Christmas. We had a rather substantial bill that needed to be paid by installments.

As we would be staying with friends, some of whome are dinosaurs and don't even have a computer, and carrying our own laptop we decided the best way was to grab a "one month free trial" from a dial up ISP. Then we simply plugged into their phone line and away we went. This worked very well.

The one we got was with Telstra and when we got home I rang up to cancel the connection, no point in paying for two. While talking to the operator I explained why we had done it and why we no longer needed the dial up. I asked if they had anything in place that would allow me to access my internet account (ADSL) via dial up while travelling. He said sorry no. But he did refund my monthly fee for Jan which had not been used because we were away. He did say it was something they were looking at.

Maybe they could add a plug in feature at public phones so we could hook the laptop in at the street corner and access the net that way.

How silly of me all the public phones are being removed aren't they!

Duncs
AnswerID: 156477

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 15:23

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 15:23
Now Duncs.....
That was intelligent and straight to the point mate.....its unfortunate that with credentials like that you have no chance in hell of ever becomming CEO of telstra.
FollowupID: 410561

Reply By: Eddy - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 19:01

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 19:01
I reckon Roachie would be pretty qualified to answer this one.
AnswerID: 156526

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:18

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:18
Last year during my 16 weeks away I used Telstra wireless hotspots. You need to buy a wi fi card for your laptop about $40 and then when you have it installed it will automatically log on to any wireless network allowing you to use your own Laptop. We used to send weekly progress reports with pictures & did our banking etc. Have a look here if you want more info, http://www.bigpond.com/internet-plans/additional/wifi/ but don't be conned into buying the Telstra Wi Fi card any computer shop will have them at a fraction of the Telstra price. And you can access any ISP via this system.
AnswerID: 156541

Reply By: Member - Daryl P (TAS) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 21:17

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 21:17
Hi Matt
My wife and i have been touring around Aust for the last 5yrs. Two years ago i set myself up with a MiniMax which plugs into my laptop. $50-00 a month and you get 20hrs internet access with that. Greatest bit of gear i have had for travelling.Available from most Telstra shops.

Regards Duke
AnswerID: 156758

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 23:02

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 23:02
Another vote for the Maxon Mini-Max modem from Telstra. Very good bit of kit whenever you are in CDMA range (which is just about any town with more than 1 pub!).

If you want to do some internet banking just roll into a town, turn on the laptop whilst having a lunchstop in the park and do your thing. No hassles with internet cafes and security. I find that 20 hours a month is ample for hooking in whilst on trips to just do banking and basic internet browsing and email.

Cheers

Muddy
AnswerID: 156779

Sponsored Links