techni ice ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 17:50
ThreadID: 31044 Views:2987 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
anyone tried techni ice ?is it a gimmick?
and if anyone has used it can it be used in my camp fridge to keep the fridge from working too hard hence less amps sucked of my batteries?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: glenno(qld) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 18:14

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 18:14
If its that silver bag that you freeze then thats what i have . I put it in my evakool ice box the night before to cool it down . Then i put the ice in the next day . Then the silver bag goes back in the freezer for next time .
AnswerID: 156515

Reply By: Maddmav - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 18:15

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 18:15
Tony

I bought some to use in my IceMate and found it only lasted around 1-1/2 days.

Then had to put them in the Engel to freeze them again. Hence using more power on the fridge to freeze them.

The best I have found for esky cooling is freezing water in containers with some rock salt added. Got to keep the food clear of it or it will sour the taste buds a bit.

As for keeping them in the fridge - wasted space.

my opinion only
Vinnie
AnswerID: 156517

Reply By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 18:24

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 18:24
We use TechniIce for two different things:

1) Wrapped around drink bottles in a flexible insulated 2-wine bottle cooler bag when we go for a walk or are working away from the vehicle.

2) In our EvaKool dual temp fridge/freezer. We freeze the TechniIce during the day and then transfer it to the fridge section at nigh - meaning that we can turn the dial down to almost off - saving battery power until the morning.
AnswerID: 156518

Reply By: Woobla (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 19:56

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 19:56
Hi Tony,
I use the techni ice for a couple of reasons and find it does what I ned it to do...not really what Techni ice says it will do, although it is fairly good given its volume.
The first reason is to remove the need to use valuable water for ice.
The second is;
I freeze enough to cover my cans and then take the cans out (of the fridge) that I recon I will neck and place the ice stuff top and bottom of the esky. It saves opening and closing the fridge. I guess it is also good as stated above for holding the fridge over night when the solar panel is useless.
I doubt whether I would go back to using water again...not in my Evakool anyway.
Hope this gives you some food for thought.
Jeff

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 156534

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:33

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 20:33
Techi-ice is up there with the occy strap and cable tie. Go for it.
AnswerID: 156546

Reply By: Brian B- Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 22:43

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 22:43
We use it to keep the ice from melting in the drinks esky (place on top) & freeze a couple of sheets during the day when driving, they reduce the time the freezer is running at night & we swap them over again when the vehicle/genset are running.

In our poly esky Techni Ice keeps party ice for 1.5 - 2 days (1 bag scattered & 1 intact) works for us & of course ice for the mixers.
Brian B (NT now Bris)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 156568

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 23:18

Wednesday, Feb 22, 2006 at 23:18
OK I'm learning something new. Had not heard of Techni Ice, but have now looked at their web site.

We have a dual temp Reefer with separate freezer. On big trips we also use an esky. I use 4 x 2 litre milk containers which we freeze at home. We put 3 in the esky and 1 in the freezer area of the Reefer. Each day I do a 'wheel rotation' with the fresh frozen one into the esky and the oldest one in the esky into the freezer. Follow?
So after a few days, in the esky there is a fresh ice container, one 1 day old and one 2 days old. The 3 day old one goes in the freezer for re freezing. The 3 day old one is normally (but not always) fully melted when it is removed.

Works OK, but not brilliant. Would an investment in Techni Ice, used in a similar way work better? Because of the shape and make up of Techni Ice sheets, will we get better cooling in the esky? Will it last longer?
AnswerID: 156574

Sponsored Links