What to buy to convert old trip videos

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:52
ThreadID: 31071 Views:2047 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
What exactly do i need to buy to convert my old video8 and vhs tapes to dvd . Do i just buy a dvd recorder or what . I have no idea at all . Very confused .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:03

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:03
Two options I know of..
Option 1. Buy a DVD recorder / VCR player all in one unit.. (these are on the market) and obviously simple to use..
Option 2. I have a video editing program, (pinnacle studio) which I use to make movies etc from my difital stills, video etc.. this program can capture from a video camera or video recorder if you have the right cable. .The cable is called a dazzle.. ESB for confuser end and the three RCA 's for the VCR end (red, white for l/r sound and yellow for picture) By using this method you don't loose any quality obviously the quality will only be as good as the Video.. but I can make AVI/ DV/ DVD, HD, MPEG etc.. all from video..

Option 2 is expensive if all you want to do is convert your videos.. as it's all irrelevant once you are done.. but if you plan to make moveis etc anyway, then I think it's worth doing... I've gone so far as taking screen captures from my OZieplorer maps and inserted them into videos Leyland Brothers Style showing hwere were were on anmap , then showing the vidoe etc with music and voice over blah blah..
If all you want to do is transfer video to DVD, if you are in SA I'd be happy to do it for you. obviously you need to trust me with your precious videos etc so probably not a preferred option.. but the offer is there..
AnswerID: 156658

Follow Up By: glenno(qld) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:19

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:19
Thank you for your kind offer .
FollowupID: 410736

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:04

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:04
Yep,

Can be done that way and is the most simple method. Also, this will give you a DVD Recorder you can use on your TV/Foxtel. basically, in place of, or as well as, a Video Recorder as most DVD Recorders come with a built-in tuner.

Or, you can buy an additional hardware interface card to enable a VHS recorder to be connected to your PC and with the aid of some editing software, transfer the data to hard disk and then a PC's DVD burner.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 156661

Follow Up By: glenno(qld) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:21

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:21
I think i will have to study up on this .
FollowupID: 410740

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:16

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:16
Hello I have NEC VCR to DVD recorder (and vica versa) - works fine - but one word of warning - at least for this make/model anyway - the resulting DVDs can only be played on a DVD player connected to TV i.e. you can NOT play them in a DVD drive on a computer for some reason (unlike say a movie video you hire from shop) - must be a slightly different format or something?? I have not been able to resolve this ..but maybe I havent tried hard enough. May just require different view software...Anyway just thought Id tell you.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 156663

Follow Up By: glenno(qld) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:21

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:21
Thanks
FollowupID: 410738

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:35

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 13:35
Greg,

Might be the format used by the NEC Recorder.

There are two "camps" in the DVD format world (at present anyway) and manufacturers have aligned themselves with either the minus (-) or plus (+) formats of recording.

The + format, as used by Phillips, etc., will generally play on most DVD recorders and/or players, but not on some of the older - format machines.

The - format however, should be able to be played back on "anyone's" DVD Player, as the manufacturers aligned with the + format have also designed into their firmware, the ability to accept either.

Most PC drives (Pioneer, LG, etc.) will accept both types to play back and will record either in - or + format, based on the blank DVD you are recording on.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 410742

Follow Up By: Longreach - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 14:41

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 14:41
Greg,

I think Sand Man is probably correct in that it might be a format issue. But it could be yet another format. I don't know the NEC machine but Panasonic put out a very similar machine which writes DVD-RAM (rather than -R or +R) and this would probably not be readable in your average PC DVD drive.

glenno,

This type of machine might be the way to go though. Certainly the most simple. I believe the Panasonic (just happened to have a look in the shop the other day) has a 'one touch button' to copy VHS to DVD or vice versa. Although it writes DVD-RAM, it can read the popular formats. The thing both of these would not do is copy your video8 tapes to DVD. You would need to play the video8 tapes in your existing camera or player (hope you still have it !) and connect it to the input of the DVD recorder to record to DVD.

Cheers
FollowupID: 410753

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 14:54

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 14:54
Ok - I think I have lead everyone on a slight goose chase - just had a quick rethink of what I have been up to with my recorder - firstly - I can now play recorded TV shows on my PC - just have to make sure you finalise the disc!! (yes I stuffed up - what a *head) - so that is cool. With respect copied VHS to DVD - still doesnt seem to work..but when I used DVD decryter and made new disc - it works on PC (with windows media player)!! . So all is now sweet.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 410757

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 16:17

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 16:17
I have the opposite problem to you, I can watch on lap top but not on dvd player have tried everyhting, will follow some of the guides given above. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 410768

Follow Up By: Longreach - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 17:38

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 17:38
Hi Steve,

If you haven't tried it already, the first thing to do might be to try your disc in other DVD players if that's possible. I've made discs which I've given to friends and family without problems, EXCEPT, when I give them to my sister. There is something different with her player which doesn't always hanlde discs I have burnt.

Regards,
FollowupID: 410796

Follow Up By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 19:39

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 19:39
Explorer

I use a LG DVD/Video recorder and it seems to work fine for me.

If using DVD-RW which I use for temporary recordings eg TV shows it has two record modes. VR mode will only work on this recorder and Video mode which will play on other players/ computer/ play station etc

I have converted VHS tape to DVD for permanent record of trips etc using DVD-R and these will play on other players/ computer/ play station etc.

-R seems to be very compatable and the more recent the hardware the more likely that it will cope with the format you use.

Hope this helps
FollowupID: 410821

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 19:43

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 19:43
Thanks - will investigate further - I just did the usual - pressed every button I could find - maybe I should RTFM!!
Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 410824

Reply By: phil - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 15:50

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 15:50
Hi,

I am also interested on methods to transfer old standard 8mm movies to DVD as well as some 16mm black and white. I guess it needs some form of telecine setup.
I have had quotes for professional transfer and they are in the 100s of dollars.
I once tried to copy 8mm to VHS using a projector and a special ground glass screen ( I think there was a lens also) and video camera but the results were quite poor.

Phil I
AnswerID: 156680

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 18:29

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 18:29
Hi glenno,

I'm on the nth side of Brissy, if you are in that area you may be welcome to come and use the equipment I have (which I'm sure will do the job). Or supply me with the tapes you want recorded to DVD an I will do it for you, as long as when I give you back the goods you supply me with the same amount of blank DVD's of the same format.
Come to the BBQ gathering at Jacobs Well this Sunday to meet me and a few of the other QLD'rs and we can discuss this option futher if you want.
I won't offer a full invitation to my house until we've met (for obviuos reasons), too bad if this seems over cautious.

Regards Trevor.
AnswerID: 156709

Follow Up By: glenno(qld) - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 18:38

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 18:38
Thanks trev . I just added my name to the jacobs well list . Cheers
FollowupID: 410807

Reply By: lizard - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 20:50

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 20:50
Another option - if you already have a P.C with a DVD burner- is to purchase a capture device ({~$100} , and use a software (usually supplied - like Ulead DVD ) - the device plugs into your USB port , and audio in the input - other end onto RCA cables from VCR ........
AnswerID: 156749

Reply By: djrziggy - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 21:59

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 21:59
I have an lg hard drive recorder that I use for transferring vhs/ 8mm/digital video tapes/. I also can plug in another dvd player video recorder and copy any dvd/vhs you like including copywrited movies. I got sick of copying on the compuiter, decoding just doesnt always work. This the best thing I ever bought and you also get all the advantages of a hard disk recorder
Darren
AnswerID: 156765

Follow Up By: glenno(qld) - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 08:37

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 08:37
Wots the quality like . When you transfer from 8mm does the sound and picture go out of sync and do you get any picture shake . Also does the picture quality deteriorate or is there no noticeable quality difference . If you are happy then i will probably go down your path and buy a HDR. cheers
FollowupID: 410948

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 10:49

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 10:49
Hi Glenno. From my experience with these machines the new DVD recorders can now record and and play back in most formats. I have settled on Sony as they seem to have sorted all the little problems. I would suggest that you stay away from Panasonic as the way they work is different from most others and the DVDs will not play on other machines. The Panasonic DVD Ram is a good system but you will need all Panasonic equipment for it to be a success.
My experience any way.
Ray
AnswerID: 156826

Sponsored Links