roof rack

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 17:41
ThreadID: 31081 Views:1555 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Some advice requested please - we have a 2001 TI Patrol with Howling Moon roof top tent which sits towards back half of the roof. Wish to carry a 2nd spare tyre & wheel and wonder whether we add a half rhino rack & basket which would sit on the other half of the roof, towards the front, or do we carry the tyre and wheel in the inside of back compartment of Patrol. Have built in drawers and frig space in rear back and there is enough space on the shelf above for the tyre. Thought if we carried it on the roof it will give a bit more space inside, but also concerned about weight on roof top. Plan on travelling some remote outback roads and won't ntravel without 2 spare wheels! Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Jinki
Jinki & Harry enjoying !!!!!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 19:14

Thursday, Feb 23, 2006 at 19:14
The wheel and tyre combo should travel ok just on two rhino bars. Use a ratchet strap to lash it down well and you should have no probs. If you put forwards it will get some weight towards the front of the vehicle too.
I've never bothered carrying a second spare wheel, always carried a second case though. I figured if I hit something hard enough to damage a rim that there would be far greater problems than a bent rim.
AnswerID: 156721

Sponsored Links