winch

Submitted: Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 18:50
ThreadID: 3110 Views:1626 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
i have a airbag compadable winch bar on my challenger and am trying to find a 2nd hand winch .will any winch fit or do i need a certain size? if so what good lower price winches are out there? ps. name brands are not important to me but economy and value for money are. cheers dc the bar is arb model no 3435010
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 19:32

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 19:32
Warn is the name in Winches.. theres a reason for it, they are the gear.

For your size car, a 8000lb low mount would be the go.. www.tradingpost.com.au is the place for it. I got my 10,000lb warn for just on a $k. They do hold their value around that price.

8000lb high mount are the go for competitions..
AnswerID: 11939

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 15:32

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 15:32
Just watch out, you'd probably have to modify your bar to fit the high mount. And another thing, if you go bush with other people then you can get out of most things with judicous use of straps etc. and not bother witrh the weight of that lump on the front of your car. Just consider the expense carefully. You also might need beefed up suspension sooner.
FollowupID: 6897

Reply By: voxson - Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 20:28

Monday, Jan 27, 2003 at 20:28
hi dc,

I have used a Warn 9000lb winch ($1800approx new) and also a Superwinch X9 9000lb ($1250 new) of which i noticed one in the Adelaide trading post recently.

As far as one being better than the other and what your mates are going to say if you get the lesser one.....(whatever)..

Both of the winches did the same thing for me,,,, I pulled the triggers and my car got out of trouble and the people i was recovering didnt complain about which winch i was using..

After all they are all soleniods, gearboxes, brakes, armatures, commutators, brushes, windings, blah blah.......................etc.....

But if you need spare parts for the lesser ones you may have a little trouble..but most people dont wear em out from over-use.....

AnswerID: 11951

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 00:44

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 00:44
Yep, you are right. I have just bought a Brawn. It and Ox electric are a from T Max. Haven't used it in anger yet but it sounds ferocious. Cost $1300. Have had four Warn winches in the past. They are good but they don't like water and if you forget your regular maintenance they give you troubles. Second hand winches cost $k. Warn is Xpensive. Lesser models from $1250 to $1700. Take your pick. Cheers,W
FollowupID: 6852

Follow Up By: Truckster - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 10:45

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 10:45
Willem,

No winch likes water, even Colins ones... and if you dont maintain any of them you will suffer. I know Colin from Brawn.. Top bloke too.

Warns are expensive? New Yes they are I will grant you that, but they still sell very well, and there must be a reason for that.

I got my 10,000lb for just over $1000. Anyone who would pay over $1400 for a second hand warn is nuts! Mate got one of the new 9500s second hand for $1300..

So second hand you can do good with warn...

For how often people use them, I wouldnt buy new.. Any brand!
FollowupID: 6864

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 16:22

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 16:22
Member - Andrew posted this followup

Just watch out, you'd probably have to modify your bar to fit the high mount. And another thing, if you go bush with other people then you can get out of most things with judicous use of straps etc. and not bother witrh the weight of that lump on the front of your car. Just consider the expense carefully. You also might need beefed up suspension sooner.

Some good points.....

1) do you NEED 1? ( I like the security of knowing I can get out myself)
2) your suspension up to it?
3) 8000lb high mounts usually need a special bar, and on GQ can require hacking the grill...
4) A turfor can get you out of more than a Bullbar mounted winch can.... Turfor can go from any angle, on each end or side....

AnswerID: 12011

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 20:37

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 20:37
Truckster,

Just a comment on the Tirfor. You have to be a young fella with plenty of muscle or an old fella with everything working OK to work one of them. Yes they can pull from any angle but with some ingenuity you can do that with a bullbar mounted winch as well. They are a pest to pack and take up valuable space in your vehicle. I bogged a F100 behind a dune up in the north of WA some while ago. Only way out was over the dune. Took 7 hours to get over. Buried the spare six times. Hard yakka with the Tirfor. Swore never again. Flogged the Tirfor and flogged the F100 as well all in the same week.
I tried to buy a used electric winch this time but to no avail. I live out in the sticks in South Oz. Looked around for six months. Eventually bought the Brawn when in Melbourne before Xmas. Had to manufacture a special plate to fit behind the bumper bar and bolted on to chassis of the G60. Everything fits and works OK. Going up the Cape this year, the one place I have not been to. Going in May and will likely need the winch as there are some side trips involved. Cheers,W
FollowupID: 6930

Follow Up By: Truckster - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 21:12

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2003 at 21:12
Willem.. Never said it was easy!!!!

Brawn4x4 also have a smaller portable winch, that comes on a mount you can put anywhere.

But a Turfor will do more than a Bullbar winch. Pulling the left rear corner of the car back to that side, depending how far you have to winch, but bbar winch will struggle to do that!

We recovered a rolled Courier Ute out Gembrook way, and it took 3 Turfors to get it out, yes electric would have been nice for one of htem, but we still needed to pull sideways as well as forward and up!!! Now that was a mission. :(
FollowupID: 6937

Sponsored Links