radio days

Submitted: Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 16:40
ThreadID: 31117 Views:2783 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

Getting prepared for our forthcoming trip I decided that I'd invest in a UHF radio , having been involved in the very early days of CB radio in OZ (anyone remember Just CB??) I thought I knew what I wanted ...

So I take myself off to Tricky Dickies and to my horror I am unable to buy a gutter mount for my antenna, they did not even have a magnetic base , so on their suggestion I made my way to supercheap and found I was able to get the gutter mount and antenna and base and cable, whilst I was there I noticed a "Superworks" UHF CB prices at a very reasonable $249-00 so I thought why not?

So off we go and I fit this in the car, It actually works quite well but I am most concearned at the build quality, for example the microphone is hard wired into the set so a broken wire in a mike cable requires opening the set up and a soldering job to replace it. The microphone also has channel up/down buttons and a hi/low power switch on it, the transmit switch is encased in a rubber boot and is very hard to hold depressed and unless to press in the exact spot can tend to cut out.

The lcd dispaly is vary basic and has no sig strength / TX power out dispalys other than an RX or TX in small text.

The case and mounting bracket are in black plastic

I had a play with the set overnight and whilst it seemed to work ok the quality of the build concearned me so much that I pulled it out packed it up and returned it to supercheap for a refund which they gave me without question.

I kept the antenna and mounting hardware which I had fitted to my old tarago.

I then pottered over to Trickies Dickies and splurged $296-00 on a Uniden UH-089 which appears to be a much more robust and quality product ..

So I suppose the point it that whist it is cheap , one might not be happy with the results

But to give supercheap their due they did not argue and refunder cheerfully

I've bought a few things from them which have been fine including a jocky wheel for my trailer and a very cheap hand held UHF set which cost $19.95 and works like a charm..

Oh well you live and learn

Regards
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike Harding - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 17:03

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 17:03
A wise move for an extra $47 I suspect.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 156888

Follow Up By: Atropos - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 18:12

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 18:12
The silly thing is that I bought this radio without looking too closley at it as only the empty box was on display and the pictures looked ok , I did not open the new unit untill I got home and was a little loath to take it back straight away without giving a fair trial...

Silly me I think
FollowupID: 411055

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 18:48

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 18:48
>Silly me I think

Not really - there is a lot of kit out there which is priced at high levels simply because it can be, ie. people will pay the price. HF radios from Barrett and Codan may well be a case in point - that should wind a few people up :)

However for a complex piece of equipment like a UHF transceiver if it comes to an extra $47 (not much money really today) and gets you a well known (and reasonable, but not great, quality) brand such as Uniden then it has to be worth paying that bit more. If nothing else Uniden will probably be able to repair the radio in 10 years - I doubt Super Cheap would want to know.

However my GMC $98 generator is still doing well after 18 months or so and has fulfilled my requirements as well as a $1400 Honda would have.

Horses for courses.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 411068

Follow Up By: Atropos - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 19:56

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 19:56
Yes I know the feeling with the generators, I have a similar thing little 800watt job paid about $130 for it two years ago have not used it a great deal as yet but for the cash its a very usefull bit of kit to have around the house

Best Regards
John
FollowupID: 411087

Follow Up By: Member - Luxoluk - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 20:47

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 20:47
"there is a lot of kit out there which is priced at high levels simply because it can be, ie. people will pay the price. HF radios from Barrett and Codan may well be a case in point - that should wind a few people up :)"

Oh Mike, you are just glad it's Friday....eh??
FollowupID: 411094

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 22:23

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 22:23
Hi Leigh.

I've made your whip for the 9350. See you in a week.

Dave
FollowupID: 411108

Reply By: Member JD- Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 17:55

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 17:55
Hi John,
If all but amature radios are termed 'plastic'...what would the term be for a (set) toy..like that be!
JD
AnswerID: 156895

Follow Up By: Atropos - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 18:07

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 18:07
Well... the strange thing is that it actually worked quite well, my problem was how long it would keep working, I'm not an off roader, we only have a 1985 tarago which we call Grizelda, and I have just about finished restoring a cub-o-matic / kamparoo camper trailer of the same vintage, when all is finished we intend to take a slow tour of oz , we may have to break it into sections but we intend to see as much as we can, I'm more of a costal person than an inlander and we will be sticking to reasonable roads, but I dare say that will be enough to shake and break a few things along the way

we have a reasonable camping kit some cheap and some expensive ,but this UHF was just not going to do the distance, like one of those folding gezabos .....

Regards
John
FollowupID: 411052

Follow Up By: Member JD- Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 18:13

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 18:13
I hear you,I had one of those gazebos,,fantastic in ideal conditions..but the slightest blow and alls lost..me personally find quality worth a couple more dollars..does'nt have to be the so called best, just value for money.Have a good weekend.
JD
FollowupID: 411058

Follow Up By: Atropos - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 18:20

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 18:20
we had the folding horror given to us by a well meaning daughter for christmas a couple of years ago , It was a Pain in the rear from day one, but has been replaced by a nice dome screen tent from katamando (at 50% discount)...

Yes have a nice w/e its a hot 38oC in sunny melbourne and another hot one tomorrow..... nice dark roomand computer play under fan ----

best regards

John
FollowupID: 411063

Reply By: Exploder - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 19:05

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 19:05
Good decision, I have got a Uniden UH-089 and I think you will be happy with it, nice and simple to use.

I thought the new model had superseded them now, mine is now 4-years old, and they were worth about $420 when I brought my one.
AnswerID: 156905

Follow Up By: Atropos - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 20:00

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 20:00
yes uniden is a well know company , and should make a reasonable product, it looks to be a well made neat little unit , i was not looking for anything flash , with that and a normal mobile phone I'm reasonably happy , the ability to flag down a passing truckie if one gets into trouble along the way is a nice security blanket , and hopefully we might even "meet" a few peope using it during our travels

Regards
John
FollowupID: 411088

Sponsored Links