ExplorOz UHF Radio Callsigns

Submitted: Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 21:40
ThreadID: 31121 Views:2446 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
See posts 30918 & 30973 for discussion of the topic so far.
Well, as promised I went to a vantage point in Adelaide at 6pm on Wednesday and announced my presence and called for any ExplorOz members.
Interest was livel: three or four wanted to know what I was on about and what was ExplorOz so I directed them to the website.
About the same no of callers knew about the site and had visited it and used it previously.
There were one or two who erroneously thought I was doing a channel 10 takeover bid which idea I had to reassure them was not the case and a few turkeys who would try to disrupt anything to give themselves some purpose in life apparently.
And One member - Dean came up and supported. Thanks Dean.
For fun, tonight I had a go again and got to Tonytruck who is most enthusiastic about the site and was one of the respondents on Wed.
So far so good. There was quite a bit of enthusiasm for the idea and a few people were introduced to the site - not a bad thing in itself.
So I'll have a go again on Sunday at 6pm again using Ch 10. (Sometimes it appears good to call on 10 then go up to an agreed alternative when 10 is busy- standard marine practice in my experience)
I suspect that persistence is the answer and the more the name ExplorOz is used the more people will be familiar with the callsign and respond.
One advantage for an allocated # or use of a membership # is that it gives one more attraction to become a member?? However I'll stick to my agreed callsign "ExplorOz Camper"

Cheers,
Camper
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dean (SA) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 11:37

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 11:37
Gday Camper,
I should have checked here first as its already done.

If anyone is around the place call in. I'm also hoping to drive up the hill for a chat.
Anyone cruising thru town should be able to hear due to our elevation, if anything its interesting to see how far your radio can transmit/recieve.
Dean
AnswerID: 156987

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 01:25

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 01:25
HI Guys,
Just reading through some of the recent discussions on this topic and feel we need to re-clarify that we haven't been asked to support the idea of establishing a radio network, rather we have been asked (and support in theory) the use of "ExplorOz - 'screen-name" as a UHF callsign by Members of ExplorOz for use when travelling. We were happy with the idea if it was used in a practical manner to identify oneself and others. I understand you're probably just playing around for now and that's fine but we noticed the title of your next post said "ExplorOz Radio Network" and got worried about that!
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 157091

Follow Up By: Member - Camper (SA) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 21:59

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 21:59
Thanks for the direction. The term was used by me and the intention was not to invest it with any deep meaning. Entirely my fault. You are correct that I am just trying out the idea, but, it seems to me that if someone doesn't it will jyst fall by the wayside. I'd be glad to have any further "steering" of the idea you want to do. It is your website,idea and business and I want that to be respected no matter what.
Cheers,
Camper
FollowupID: 411456

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:33

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:33
Sure Camper,
We were planning to include details of the ExplorOz callsign within each new membership and renewal it will take me a little while to get a chance to co-ordinate the documents, procedures etc. I will try to get it done asap though so that for this travelling season our members have some confidence about using their ExplorOz call sign if they wish.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 411523

Follow Up By: Member - Camper (SA) - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 09:38

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 09:38
Hi Michelle,
After my little experiments I am of the opinion that a standard calling time each day of say 6.00pm using the calling channel Ch11 and then moving to a channel which is agreed to by anyone who responds may be the way to go.
After the conversation return to Ch11 and call again.
What do you think?
Camper
FollowupID: 412924

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 14:26

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 14:26
Sorry for the delay in responding Camper....
I'm not sure that David and I are on the same wavelength (sic!) with you on this idea. We were of the opinion that the ExplorOz callsign was just to be used as an identifying callsign, when and if people wanted to use the UHF radio when travelling to talk to other people on the road. This would generally occur on any channel they were using so on highways would probably be 40 and when on bush tracks would be whatever the standard channel was (eg. ch 10 for Simpson, Channel 40 for CSR etc). It would just enable others on channel to identify travellers that were ExplorOz members and if that listener desired, they could make contact and could then go off to another available channel.

If you are still talking about arrangements for your experiements etc then we are happy to leave that to you to cooordinate as you wish.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 413609

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:48

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:48
Hi Michelle,
I think you are pretty close to what I have been suggesting. I would envisage just what you are saying happening while on the road. We have just finished a trip to the Mid North of SA and periodically through the day I called using the callsign "ExploreOz Camper" I also tried each evening at 6pm all without success.
Even in a city the size of Adelaide there are so few members that I figured a standard time and channel might assist contact which is why I have been experimenting with CH11 at 6pm.
Not recently in Adelaide however as I can't be camping in the bush and here too. Funny that.

Cheers,
Camper
AnswerID: 159697

Sponsored Links