Front leaf springs

Submitted: Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 23:01
ThreadID: 31125 Views:1605 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all this is going to be hard to explain but here goes, I have an 89 hilux d/c diesel leaf spring front end and have just had new springs, pins,etc fitted last week.On the front passenger side where the spring loops up around pin the loop is not centered and is against the right hand side of the bracket (towards centre of vehicle) which is welded to the vehicle's chassis the drivers side is ok sitting in the centre, this was also the case with the springs that came out of it same thing. Vehicle has never been in an accident but concerns me that it will rub against each other, the old spring had about a 2 ml gap so wasnt as concerned. Took it back to where they were fitted and was told that it wont hert it and that not all hiluxs will sit centre but every one I have looked at in the last week have been sitting central.Not sure what else to look for any advice/direction would be appreciated. Regards SteveM
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fisho64 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 00:50

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 00:50
dont the spring bushes have a flange on them so that the spring has to sit in the middle?
AnswerID: 156950

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:25

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:25
They do but that was the problem with the old springs that bush was chopped out before any of the others and would be metal to metal and start clunking and would have to replace just that one bush while the others were all still ok, just don't want to be replacing that one bush if its going to be causing a problem, thats why I had the new springs fitted as I was told they were stuffed and thats why they were rubbing. Feel as though I have wasted over $600 for nothing, could have put that towards front locker. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 411141

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 11:12

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 11:12
just trying to work this out, did they replace all your springs etc, but not that 1 bush with the flogged out flange? or did they replace it and it has flogged out already?
You can replace that 1 bush quite easily without doing them all. I wouldnt think it is due to the mount being out of line, as it is bolted to the diff in the middle anyway?
FollowupID: 411154

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 11:32

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 11:32
Hi there fisho64, everything was replaced last wednesday, springs,pins shackels, bushes, hangers, all brand new, Dakker OME springs,no they havnt chopped any bushes out but was concerned that the 1 bush will chop out quicker than the others,main concern is does it do any harm as they are.We are planning a big trip and dont want any problems that could be prevented prior to going. To me there was no problems with the old springs execpt the same thing not sitting central but the vehicle has done 280k and thought they have done pretty well lets get new ones so we dont have any thing breaking on the corrugations, eg springs,pins,hangers etc. Hope I have cleared the answer up for you. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 411157

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 09:30

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 09:30
From your description it sounds as if the rear mount has been welded on out of line with the front mount and diff mount.

If this is the case, 2 fixes immediately come to mind.

(a) Just ignore it

(b) Have the rear mount removed, repositioned in the correct location and then re welded.

Other than that I have no idea without actually seeing it. Can you take a digital pic and post it on the thread.
AnswerID: 156966

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:30

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:30
Hi there Lucy, Have sent you 4 pics through email, not sure how to post pics on here I will ask the question one day so some one can explain in simple terms, not real great with doing stuff like that on computers, just the basic knowledge, looking up this great site usual internet and email. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 411142

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 09:43

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 09:43
Mine are pretty well centered but the passenger is a bit more towards the centre of the vehicle but still lots of clearance. Unless there's some problem I wouldn't worry about it.
AnswerID: 156967

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:50

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:50
It's no big problem, but is probably caused by the axle not sitting a tad of square on the spring mount. It's probable that slackening off the U-bolts, easing the spring to the centre and te-torquing will fix it.

If you do, make sure the U-bolts and nuts are clean and use a torque wrench to get the tension correct. Re-torque after 100 or so km.
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 156981

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:59

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 10:59
Thanks Collyn, will go back and ask them to do that,if axle is out I would presume that will put out wheel alignment as well which I havnt had done yet as I was letting everything settle for a week or two. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 411151

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 13:08

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 13:08
Stephen

From your reply a thought has occurred that if the wheel alignment has not been redone, one could be confusing cause and effect.

If the alignment is sufficiently out it is JUST possible that remanent torque within the front tyres (having rolled on a hard surface) might be enough to push the spring eye across slightly.

I'm frankly only guessing - but before going too far, lift both front wheels clear of the ground and see if this centres the spring (you may need to give it a nudge to overcome friction). It is does the problem is simply wheel alignment.

If it doesn't make any difference at least it removes a possible cause.
Collyn
AnswerID: 156999

Reply By: zigglemeister - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 16:19

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 16:19
Hi Stephen,
I've had a similar issue with one of the rear leaf springs on my 4Runner for some time now. I can't see a reason for it either - one side just seems a bit out of alignment, and it ends up chewing out the bush on one side of the spring hanger prematurely. Don't know what advice to give you - but my experience with it has been that it hasn't caused me any problems other than chewing out the bushes, so I've just been living with it. It sees very severe service where I live (no tar roads here!).

Hope that helps a little,
Tim.

Tim Zylstra
Tanna Island, Vanuatu
Very battered 4Runner 2.8l diesel (Vanuatu)
GU 4500 ST Patrol (Waiting for me when I get back to Oz)
AnswerID: 157015

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:50

Sunday, Feb 26, 2006 at 10:50
Thanks for that Tim, I can see why you are waiting to come home. I would be to if I was driving around in 4 runner while you got a nice 4.5 patrol waiting for you at home.Are you there on holidays or are you over there for work? Where abouts in Sydney do you live.I'm in the Penrith area Sydney. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 411327

Sponsored Links