Jayco Swan Outback

Submitted: Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 23:16
ThreadID: 31127 Views:16315 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, new to the Forum and to caravanning/campers in general. My wife & I (+ 2 little one's) are looking at a new Jayco Swan Outback to tow with an NM Pajero; occaisonal dirt tracks but nothing serious. Most time will be spent on sealed roads as we begin to explore the country, my question relates to weight distribution hitch / level rides - for the above set-up, would it be required? Jayco salesperson doesn't seem to think so.
Also, what are the most worthwhile options/extra's would you recommend when purchasing. Any comments appreciated, thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pjchris - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 23:23

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 23:23
When we had an NH Paj and a standard Swan we didn't use a WDH (Weight Distributing hitch) but we did have PolyAirs in the rear that allowed us to keepo the car more or less level.

We have an NM now and a Jayco Expander (Much heavier than the Swan) and do use a WDH. I wouldn't be without one.

I note that the Outback Swan has a tare weight of 1120kg so it's going to be about 1300kg loaded with a ball weight of (Hopefully) about 130kg.

While not requiring a WDH at that towball weight the manual recommends one for all towball weights over 100kg.

It can't hurt to use one and it will make the towing much more pleasant. But you'll probably want to remove it off-road as it will reduce the clearance angle, though it should be OK on bitumen and gravel roads.

Peter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 156939

Reply By: Pud & Barb - Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 23:55

Friday, Feb 24, 2006 at 23:55
Hi Simmo70,
the only thing I know about Jayco's is there are a lot of mechanics at the ends of dirt roads making money from Jayco repairs. If you are not going to go off road go for it but otherwise think seriously about type of camper. You say nothing serious, wait till it gets in your blood.
Happy camping
Barb.
AnswerID: 156945

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 07:44

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 07:44
Yawn.
FollowupID: 411131

Reply By: Feral - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 07:29

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 07:29
Simmo,
The Jayco sales would be about right. We have a Hawk and we tow with a Discovery Td5. When we went to pick the van up from Jayco Bayswater in Melbourne they asked what are you towing with. When I told him a Discovery he said not a problem...you don't need a WDH. Since the Paj and the Swan are much the same size as our rig, I don't think its a major issue.

As for options & extras....the list is endless and its something that you and your family need to explore with what you want. Also, do a google search for Jayco user group..its a Yahoo forum and also www.jayco.contact.com.au
These are Jayco forums that will tell you what you need yo know and have.

Cheers,
Lyndon.
Immaculate Discovery Td5.
AnswerID: 156954

Reply By: Jimbo - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 07:43

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 07:43
Simmo,

We've got an 05 Eagle Outback, tare 1030 kg, which we tow with a Terracan. The Terracan has had a suspension lift including stiffer springs in the back. We have no need for a WDH.

If the Paj sinks at the back, I would look at new springs before a WDH.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 156955

Reply By: time waster - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 08:47

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 08:47
We have a 05 eagle outback bought new 5months ago, some changes we have made by the factory was an extra water tank fitted a must for only $100 extra, the rest myself, move gerry can holder to rear extra 9kg bottle,80ah battery on front and re wired fridge 12v with heavy gauge wiring,pole holders front and rear,removed mains pressure tap installed another hand pump with whale inline pumps to each hand pump (tanks seperated drinking/washing) another hand pump on draw bar with pump for washing hands, replaced ceiling lights with jaycar's round fluros .8 amp draw with night lights,glued and extra screws to all timber work,12v socket to rear for shower, put drawer slides on all draws and some extra drawers, extended the child restraint, roller boat racks, fridge fan, temp gauge ,battery gauge, extra stone gaurds underneath, 12v 15" lcd tv with 12v booster love the camper great value for money.
AnswerID: 156960

Reply By: Warrie - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 11:42

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 11:42
Certain auto parts suppliers are still selling 34cm TV's which run on the usual AC but also 12V DC for only $200. Take lots of digital pix and then have the 21st century equivalent of a slide show by plugging the camera into the TV. Edit out the duds as you go. If you can get reception you can still watch TV. You can't on a laptop. An hour or so worth of viewing won't drain your starting battery too much
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 156990

Reply By: Penguin (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 12:54

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 12:54
Hi Simmo

I fitted OME springs and shocks with 2 inch lift to the Landcruiser. Even then, with the Penguin on the back it still sagged a bit. It didn't really seem to affect the handling but I still wasn't too happy. After fitting Polyairs and inflating them to about 30psi it is dead level.

The trailer weighs about 1400 kg fully loaded and, according to the weighbridge, there is about 130kg on the towball.

I personally wouldn't bother with a WDH.

Mike
AnswerID: 156996

Reply By: awill4x4 - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 15:09

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 15:09
About 10 years ago we had an 89 NF V6 Pajero towing an offroad Goldstream Goldstorm camper, so pretty similar to yours in size and weight overall. We found a vast improvement in using the 250Kg Hayman Reece WDH. Without it the rig understeered much more, but as soon as we put on the WDH it transferred weight back to front and gave a much better bite into the corner. Finding the correct link to use on the WDH is a bit of trial and error, I raised the back to it's normal height but found the rear was now too light and the van had the tendency to push the rear of the car in corners. Use one link less and it was perfect.
Have a look in the Trading Post that's where we bought ours.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 157008

Reply By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 16:33

Saturday, Feb 25, 2006 at 16:33
Hi Simmo, we had a standard eagle on a tow ball and did West Macdonnell ranges, Flinders Ranges , Arkaroola and the oodnadatta track and didnt have a problem, drive too the conditions and u shouldnt have a problem. Like u i mainly stayed on bitumen until i found out what is off the bitumen. Sold the eagle and now bought a Tambo.
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 157017

Follow Up By: markcas - Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 20:34

Monday, Feb 27, 2006 at 20:34
Hi Simmo i have the outback flamingo and np did pajero.The rear springs saged with the van(11-05) i fitted poly airs this fixed the problem and it towed very nice .I then fitted arb steel bullbar and the front saged 40mm.I fitted hd springs front and rear re-fitted the poly airs and have never pud any more the the min air in them (only their for show now).The factory suspension is only good for light use.Fit heavy duty springs and forget the poly airs .I been all over Moreton island with van behind over Christmass no worries.
FollowupID: 411623

Sponsored Links